Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#545 - 04/24/01 08:00 PM If you could have only ONE item...
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you could have only ONE single piece of of survival equipment (no survival kit), what would it be?<br><br>(no electronic transmitters and it must be pocket-sized)<br><br>

#546 - 04/24/01 09:17 PM Re: If you could have only ONE item...
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A quality knife, assuming I didn't fall off a turnip truck in the middle of a blizzard.This would put fire starters into priority.An individual with a knife can eventually replicate virtually every needed survival item;bow drill for fire,cordage,etc. The psycological comfort may be illusory,but we all stand a little taller and confident with cutlery.Remember how Arthur went from Squire to King !<br><br>

#547 - 04/25/01 03:14 PM Re: If you could have only ONE item...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having thought about it; If I could only have one item, it would be experience/ knowledge above all others. This is the only item that would and could repay you a thousand times.<br><br>If you had taken the time to practiced in your own back garden (I'm english) and then taken that knowledge with you and included 'the will to live' you could pretty much stand up to any scenario thrown at you.<br><br>If you wanted me to also take an item It would be a fixed bladed knife! As this would allow me to construct and build the creature comforts to make my stay at least slightly hospitable.<br><br>A most interesting question <br><br>regards<br><br>Ian<br><br>

#548 - 04/25/01 08:41 PM Knowledge...
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is an interesting response (knowledge/experience). I guess I assumed that you would have your current knowledge/experience with you wherever you went anyway, in addition to some other item. However, what if the question were changed a bit so that your knowledge and experience were removed from the equation:<br><br>Let's say that you somehow know that a relative of yours (not one that you want to get rid of) is going to be put into a survival situation soon. That person has never done any camping or had any exposure to survival training. You have the opportunuty to slip one item into their coat pocket before they leave.<br><br>Maybe you would choose to put something like a pocket-sized copy of the SAS Survival Guide instead of a knife, lighter or space bag, etc. (assuming they would have an opportunity to study it before falling victum to some hazard). This isn't the same as actual experience, but would be an abundance of knowledge.<br><br>I guess if I were that person, I would rather have the book than the knife. I wouldn't even know what to do with the knife or be able to successfully build a fire with the lighter.<br><br>As an example, I once went camping with a girlfriend who bragged about her camping experience and her talent at building a campfire. She insisted on being the person in charge of building the fire that day. She had numerous dry sheets of newspaper as tinder, a full butane barbeque lighter and an abundance of firewood already in the campsite in a range of sizes on up to split logs and logs. The wood was just slightly damp. After 30-45 minutes she gave up, completely frustrated. Needless to say, I broke up with her shortly thereafter and have not seen her since.<br><br>

#549 - 04/25/01 09:03 PM Re: If you could have only ONE item...
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
After much personal deliberation, a Victorinox Trailmaster. Locking blade, effective saw. I'm not terribly happy with the choice, but I am less unhappy with that choice than with any other. As for items 2 through ... 2. Magflint firestarter (Doan or Done Right) 3. 1 liter Sigg steel fuel bottle 4. The longest length of the thickest nylon kernmantle rope that could be considered 1 item (think 550 cord is versitile? Think of what you could do with an 11mm x 50m climbing rope!) 5. Compass<br><br>

#550 - 04/25/01 09:21 PM fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

To answer my own question, I think I would choose a lighter over a knife or anything else. The essay "Fire and Rain" on Doug's site illustrates the reasoning behind this. <br><br>My basic reasoning is that fire is very useful especially in that it is a first-line defense against hypothermia which can kill even faster than dehydration. Primitive firestarting techniques are very difficult under even the best of conditions, and would be completely hopeless (for me at least) when the weather is really bad (cold and raining). I would rather have to improvise a knife than go without a fire.<br><br>

#551 - 04/25/01 10:10 PM difficult?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It distresses me when people dismiss a skill as "difficult at best" and committ to the known and familiar.People die every year here with the lights of Los Angeles twinkling in the distance.Some of these casualties venture forth with backpacks worthy of Neil Armstrong on the moon.Im not into running naked in the sylvan forest to prove a point,but If I can master the bowdrill surely anyone else can!<br><br>

#552 - 04/26/01 04:15 PM yes, but still hard
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with what you are saying. But even with exceptional skills in primitive fire making, I don't believe that a person could be thrust into a survival situation in the rain, after it's been raining for a week straight, with all available combustibles wet and be able to get a fire going with wet tinder. In near-freezing temperatures without adequate clothing, that person is at risk of falling victim to hypothermia. A soaking-wet debris shelter may not be enough to ensure survival. <br><br>Admittedly, those conditions are not common in the deserts of Southern California, but in many other areas during certain seasons those conditions are quite possible.<br><br>Even in ideal circumstances, with bone-dry combustibles and plenty of daylight, could a skilled person with a serious injury such as a freshly broken arm make and use a bow-drill? Or what if a survival situation begins at night under an overcast sky? How difficult would it be just to fabricate a bow drill set in total darkness and gather all necessary supplies? I've never practiced that skill blindfolded or one-handed or under rain. Any of those 3 conditions would make primitive firemaking unreliable, and a combination of them would make it essentially impossible, I believe, for a person of almost any skill level (maybe your individual skill level could overcome those problems). <br><br>Also remember that the worse the conditions are for building a fire, that is to say the wetter, colder and darker it gets and more injured you are, the more important that fire becomes. Under those conditions you would really need that fire to ward off hypothermia.<br><br>Again, your point is well-taken and I hope that my response doesn't come off as argumentative. I agree that developing skills is more important than available equipment. I just think that if I could have only one "freebie" I would want it to be fire. Even more than a knife or shelter, etc. Not out of laziness for developing a skill, but out of respect for the level of difficulty and the benefits of the fire.<br><br>Thanks for the discussion! I enjoy reading your posts immensely.<br><br>(credit: the above scenarios borrow freely from the essay "Fire and Rain" on Doug's site)<br><br>

#553 - 04/26/01 07:18 PM Re: yes, but still hard
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Castaway,I agree with your points and obviously we all want every advantage to counter unforseen events.Let me tell a story.I was a lifeboat coxswain at Tillamook Bay Or.We received a SAR alarm at sunset in December of '75. A pleasure craft had smashed into the rocks just outside the bar with survivors sighted on the innaccessable shore.I managed to join the 360 club crossing the bar,busting my nose and my crewman's arm.I left the MLB under the engineman's command and swam to the rocks.I was wearing a wetsuit,bell helmet,lifejacket,survival belt and first aid kit.I was smashed into the rocks and lost my survival belt and the aid kit, leaving only my civilian puukko knife carried on a neck lanyard. I had learned to make firedrills as a little boy in AZ visiting my Apache schoolmates. I like to think it was a relative of Tom Brown's mentor Stalking Wolf.I hadn't made one in years.Here I am in the dark,pouring rain,seaspray and 5 scared people thinking Im Randolph Scott.I had wet driftwood,piles of seaweed and lots of rocks.I fashioned a firedrillwith my knife,cut up my laminated Military I.D. for tinder,dug out half dry seaweed and somehow got a fire going. My crew had withdrawn to a safe distance to avoid a similar fate, our searchlight and mast having been destroyed. The fire was our beacon for Helicopter medivac.At the hospital we were all treated for hypothermia.In addition I had a broken vertebrae(no paralysis)dislocated ribs and broke every finger on my left hand. spent the remainder of my tour on light duty and one very serious disscussion with the new Coast Guard Commandant(my first unit commander) on improving the survival belt!Knife and fire-don't leave home without it!<br><br>

#554 - 04/27/01 02:52 PM I stand corrected...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very impressive. You were able to make and use a fire drill in the dark, in the rain and with a seriously injured hand. I thought that would be practically impossible. I see I have a lot of practicing to do. Thanks for the story, and nice work on the rescue!<br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.