Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#26652 - 04/07/04 02:23 PM Review Request : Leatherman S2
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
I’ve done a couple of searches on ETS for the S2. It seems to be a good compromise when a full sized tool, my Wave for instance, just isn’t appropriate and you feel that the pliers on a SAK just aren’t big enough to do the job. It’s seems the Juice line from Leatherman would fit the bill and the S2 has the right amount of features while not being to big or heavy to make it stand out. It will see mostly EDC in an office environment and when formal dress won’t allow for a full sized tool.

I was hoping someone could give me a quick review to let me know how their S2’s are holding up and if they felt it wasn't up to the task.

Thanks,
Adam

#26653 - 04/07/04 05:51 PM Re: Review Request : Leatherman S2
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I like the Juices, to me they are the new SAKs. Anyway, the S2 is nice, it's real thin and offers the tools you would probibly use everyday. The Juices arn't as strong as the larger Leathermans, but they hold up pretty well and are as reliable as SAK's.

My favorite Juice is the KF4, it's thin enough so you can stick it in the watch pocket of your jeans and forget its there until you need it (It only weighs an ounce more then the S2), yet it has a good selection of tools. It doesn't have scissors, which doesn't bother me because pretty much everything I can do with scissors I can do with the two knife blades on there, one of which being a serrated sheepsfoot blade (good as a seat belt cutter/rescue knife). It also doesn't have a can/bottle opener, bottles though are no big deal to open, you can use the screwdriver and cans are probibly going to be all pull top soon, however if you are worried throw a P-38 in your wallet or on your keychain.

#26654 - 04/07/04 06:15 PM Re: Review Request : Leatherman S2
m9key Offline

Loc: florida
i have the xe6 however same price as wave it is a nice add-on to the leatherman collection however blades dont lock

#26655 - 04/07/04 06:17 PM Re: Review Request : Leatherman S2
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. How has the finish held up on the scales? Are the pliers still solid or have they developed any wobble?

#26656 - 04/07/04 06:24 PM Re: Review Request : Leatherman S2
adam Offline
Enthusiast

I always carry a locking blade in addition to my Wave, so the non-locking feature doesn’t bother me. I really see this as a SAK on steroids.

#26657 - 04/07/04 06:27 PM Re: Review Request : Leatherman S2
m9key Offline

Loc: florida
my xe6 is my back up to my wave the xe6 is a little bit more uncomfortable to hold in pliers mode versus the wave cause the wave has flat hold area the xe6 still has it tools protruding(hopefully i spelled that right) or sticking out

#26658 - 04/07/04 07:08 PM Re: Review Request : Leatherman S2
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
The finish on the scales has held up pretty well, other then a few dents and nicks it looks like its new. The pliers have a tiny wobble to them on all my juices, nothing that would effect use, the pliers don't appear to wobble, but I can just barely feel it. It's not something I would worry about though

#26659 - 04/08/04 12:48 PM Re: Review Request : Leatherman S2
Birkebeiner Offline

I have the S2 & KF4. The S2 is my EDC. The finish on both has held up very well. In fact, the KF4 was the display one (last one the store had) and still looks great. I don't know for sure how long it was on display, but it was at least since last August. The scissors on the S2 are very robust and work well for most tasks. They aren't sharp enough for delicate tasks, minor surgery for example, but that could be remedied with some sharpening time. I EDC a Signature II for the pen & LED, so this isn't an issue for me. Something I really like about the scissors on my S2 is that, unlike my Wave, they open up far enough for me to easily sharpen the entire cutting edge. The various blades snap into place with authority and stay open at least as well as those on a SAK. The fact that the blades don't lock isn't an issue for me. I don't see multi-tools as being heavy duty tools by nature. If I need something sturdier, I use the appropriate tool; Vice grips, screwdriver, channel lock pliers, etc... or improvise. The can-opener works well. It actually is easier to use for me than the can opener on a SAK. The only complaint I have with the Juice design is the lanyard ring. You need another tool to get it out. This isn't a major problem, since a pen or a paper-clip will work, but it is an annoyance. Hope this helps.

Leo

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 468 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.