Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#23715 - 01/23/04 04:07 AM Military Compass Opinions???
Nathanial4 Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
I am looking at purchasing a Military Compass. I have seen the Cammenga @ USCAV for 64.00 and have seen the Stocker & Yale @ Cabela's for 74.00.

Which is better? I know Cammenga is the current mfg for the military but Stocker & Yale did it before them? Any difference in the two?

Thanks,

#23716 - 01/23/04 06:35 AM Re: Military Compass Opinions???
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
You are much better off buying a silva or brunton. Are you in the military and want one for some specific reason? If so then go with that you have researched. If not, then go with a civilian model. Being in the Marines, the ability to use a compass is very important, and I use the silva explorer.

Just my 2 cents

Garrett

#23717 - 01/23/04 06:49 PM Re: Military Compass Opinions???
survivalperson Offline
Journeyman

The military compass has many things going for it that other compasses don't. It is very robust. The metal casing protects the compass when not in use. The tritium allows the compass to be used at night and it is supposed to stay good for fifteen years. It is a dry compass which in my opinion is the only way to go. Every Brunton or silva I have owned have failed because of a bubble that form in the liquid. It does lack a protractor and measurements for some scales of maps, so you would want to add a a protractor.

As far as difference between companies. There both made to the military's specifications. They both are built out of the same materials, so as long as there both brand new there shouldn't be any problems.

I have no clue how accurate the two compasses are, or whether they have global needle or not.

#23718 - 01/23/04 07:12 PM Re: Military Compass Opinions???
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

I agree with you about the bubble issue, but sending it back to the compnay will get you a brad new one. The metal housings are actually being phased out, as is the tritium. Radiation is bad I guess. And military compasses dont have a global needle in them. The dry needle is good though, if you want it to last forever.

just my expirience,

Garrett

#23719 - 01/24/04 08:39 PM Re: Military Compass Opinions???
Nathanial4 Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
Hey Garrett,

Thanks for the info. BTW, what are they replacing the older compasses with?

#23720 - 01/26/04 09:08 PM Re: Military Compass Opinions???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but IIRC the US issue ones are rated for 'dip' (the technical term eludes me now...I'll probably remember at like 3 in the morning...but I'm talking about the ability of the needle to compensate for local factors that could cause a needle to 'hang up' as it attempts to swing, but is pulled down due to your location). If that's what is meant by 'global' needles, then the lensatic compass is good to go. (If you find yourself in a location where the lensatic compass 'does' hang up...you're probably so far north or south that it won't be of much use anyways...)

And tritium isn't all that bad...as long as the glass or plastic cover remains intact. The old radium compasses, while much brighter and with a longer half life, tended to spray rays where they weren't wanted. But tritium is fine for a dozen years, since the relatively weak radiation can't penetrate most glass/lexan/plastic cases. Only problem is that you've got to replace your gear every dozen years or so...and that can get pricey for a government.

We were issued the Silva Ranger compass as our primary SERE gear (Canada), but most of us...uh...'acquired'... the US lensatic ones while on courses or meets, since, (a) the grass is 'always' greener on the other side and their toys are cooler, and (b) waiting for a replacement to your 'wet' compass won't help if you crack it when you *really* need it.

Just my 2 cents.

#23721 - 02/01/04 05:56 PM Re: Military Compass Opinions???
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

They are still using the lensatic compass, but they are moving toward cheaper production models. The ones that were in the fleet when I was a lt were solid pieces of equipment, but as they broke or got lost, they were replaced with cheaper models that dont work nearly as well as the old ones and are far less sturdy.

I dont even carry a military compass. I carry a silva explorer. I like it better as it is easier to use on the move.

just my opinion

Garrett

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.