Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#21991 - 11/25/03 06:02 PM Basic FAK Container & Contents
Dan-e-boy Offline
journeyman

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have been working on assembling a basic FAK for permanent residence in my auto and while searching for a proper container stumbled upon something interesting in the kitchen…at the back of one of those endless junk drawers I discovered a couple of old Tupperware Sandwich Keepers (that of course were NEVER used !!). As it turns out they make an awesome FAK container. Very sturdy hard plastic measuring approximately 5” square by 2” high. These suckers are very durable and I was able to fit quite a bit into it.

(Although somedays I feel like a nice big "Dagwood" would be a good First Aid supplement, the above image is not mine and the sandwich is omitted when filling with First Aid gear)

The contents of my Auto FAK are as follows:

· 1 Triangular Bandage (40”x 40”x 56”)
· 1 #4 Pressure Bandage
· 1 Roll Gauze
· 4 3”x 3” Gauze Pads
· 4 2”x 2” Gauze Pads
· 1 Roll Adhesive Medical Tape
· 5 Antiseptic Wipes
· 1 ½ oz. Tube Neosporin
· 5 Butterfly Bandages
· 1 Large Band-Aid (2”x 3”)
· 4 Band-Aids (1”x 3”)
· 4 Band-Aids (5/8”x 2 ¼”)
· 4 Band-Aids (“Dots” – 7/8 x 7/8”)
· 4 Extra Strength Tylenol (500 mg Acetaminophen ea.)
· 4 Advil (200 mg Ibuprofen ea.)
· 4 Imodium AD (2 mg Loperamide ea.)
· 1 Ace Bandage
· 1 Straight Edge Razorblade
· 2 Safety Pins
· 2 Pair Latex Gloves
· First Aid Instruction Sheet
· Contents List (visable without opening kit)

Keep in mind that part of my EDC is a Leatherman Micra, which has scissors, tweezers and a knife blade; with this kit is also an Emergency "Space" Blanket. The goal of this kit is NOT stocking up for major surgery along the road or any advanced medical procedures...this is a BASIC kit with the BASIC goal of being able to provide the most BASIC First-Aid until professional assistance can be rendered :

* Stop bleeding (pressure and bandage).
* Prevent shock (keep victim warm, still and comfortable).
* Prevent infections (clean and apply antiseptic to wound).
* Bandage wounds and tape (ACE bandage) sprains.

I like to keep things minimal in size. This kit will live in the glove compartment of my auto. Please feel free to comment on anything that appears lacking. All input will be greatly appreciated.

#21992 - 11/25/03 08:07 PM Re: FAK Container & Contents
WOFT Offline

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
The first thing that comes to mind is lack of scissors. Even though you carry carry scissors and blade as part of your EDC, I would prefer a fully equipped, independent FAK. Remember, you might be the one who needs assistance, and then the scissors might nit be accesable.

Good quality tweezers or forceps should be there as well. As for the rest of the contents, I think it is a fair kit. It could be expanded, as you are not restricted by weight or size (as a back packer would be)

I like the ideas of the Tuppawear as a storage container!

#21993 - 11/26/03 11:28 AM Re: Basic FAK Container & Contents
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
From your post, I am thinking that you know First Aid, but what about CPR? Let's consider you have the knowledge and training for CPR as well. Do you have a CPR barrier mask? Did you clearly indicate a date when to change the medicines and also check other perishables? Wound wipes and such do dry out in high temperatures. Overall, this is a good BASIC kit as you have pointed out. I am not familiar with the tweezers on the Micra, but I know the SAK tweezers are almost worthless for removing a splinter. You may want to add a pair of good quality splinter tweezers in case your dayhiking and get a splinter in your own hand. Last thing to consider adding is some gelled alcohol (Purell) to clean-up after an accident or prior to applying the contents of the kit to yourself.

#21994 - 11/26/03 11:44 AM Re: Basic FAK Container & Contents
Dan-e-boy Offline
journeyman

Loc: Pennsylvania
Stargazer -

Thanks for your input...I will be adding a small pair of scissors and a pair of tweezers to this kit. I have been certified in FirstAid/CPR many times but at present I do not have current certification...I am looking into recertification to get my skills back up to par...once recertified in CPR I may obtain a CPR mask as well...I have also carried Purrell for several years...I used to work in a state prison (not the most sanitary of conditions) and have always kept a small bottle in my pocket...Thanks again for the input.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 245 Guests and 80 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.