Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#17490 - 07/04/03 08:52 PM ???AIDs from water???
survivalperson Offline
Journeyman

Might just be an ignoramus, but I've just been told, from a good source, that AIDs infected blood put in water and later drank by someone with sores in the mouth can transmit this virus.

I'm sure the virus could not be replicated in the water because their is nothing to replicate it with. i.e no living tissue.

But is it possible for this virus to survive in the blood or by itself in the water.
Even if the chance is very remote I would like to know about it.

#17491 - 07/04/03 10:18 PM Re: ???AIDs from water???
Anonymous
Unregistered

This page at the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/facts/transmission.htm

states that [color:"blue"] "no scientific evidence to support any of these fears has been found. If HIV were being transmitted through other routes (such as through air, water, or insects)," [/color]

Chris

#17492 - 07/07/03 02:44 PM Re: ???AIDs from water???
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
HIV is not a very hardy virus, viruses such HBV and HBC (Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C Viruses) are more more stable in the environment. HIV is easily destroyed by desiccation (drying out, of course in this scenario, drying out is not relevant), solar radiation and standard water treatment methods. Dilution is another factor in the transmission of any infectious disease, there must be a certain exposure with enough of the agent to overcome the body's natural defenses and set up shop so to speak, before an established infection can occur. If HIV contaminated blood entered a pond or lake both the effects of solar radiation (inactivate the virus) and the dilution factor would reduce the viral load to less than an infective dose, so there is no need to worry. Now, if you were to take 10cc of blood directly from an HIV infected person, who was virimic (high numbers of virus particles in the blood) mix it with 10cc of water and drink it, with open sores in your mouth, then yes, you might run the risk of contacting an HIV infection. But under all conditions that I can imagine, regular drinking water is safe and of no threat, with respects to acquiring an HIV infection. Obviously there are other organisms that are of much more concern. Pete

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.