Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#17068 - 06/12/03 01:30 AM Photon 2 vs photon 3
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
This is a question for those who use the photon 3. Do you really use the other options on the light? Do you use the strobe or the different brightnesses? I love my photon 2 becuase I can turn it on and it stays on. Does the 3 do that? From what I read on the package it doesnt do that. it does have the one minute auto off but I think that would get annoying. Just wondering,

Garrett

#17069 - 06/12/03 11:40 AM Re: Photon 2 vs photon 3
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Not at all. I tought that 3 is a big improvement from 2 and when it came out I was first out to buy it but honestly I haven't used any of the modes mentioned. But what was mentioned is that 3 was waterproof when 2 is not. I used to wear 3 on my neck together with dog tags and it still works fine. This would be my only reason to get 3 over 2. I acctually prefer on and hold switch on Photon 2.

Matt

#17070 - 06/12/03 01:24 PM Re: Photon 2 vs photon 3
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I have both, but have not used the other modes. I carry them in my pocket and on occasion the Photon 3 gets activated and my battery runs down. (I never know if my auto off in on)

Ted Fisher
Vermilion County Special Tactics Search andf Rescue

#17071 - 06/12/03 01:59 PM Re: Photon 2 vs photon 3
Happy Birthday David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
Quoting Garrett:
Quote:
I love my photon 2 becuase I can turn it on and it stays on. Does the 3 do that? From what I read on the package it doesnt do that.

Yes, the 3 does that (turn on & stay on), in all 7 modes: bright, medium, & low constant on, fast, medium & slow strobe/flash, and 1-minute auto-off. The auto-off feature has a bit of strobing which acts as a battery life indicator.

If you've only examined one in the package, you won't be able to check out anything but the momentary-on option, because the constant-on switch is disabled by a plastic pull-tab that must be removed before use.

The switch has two pressure pads: the forward one is momentary on at full power; the rear is microprocessor controlled, and is an on-off-mode select switch.

I have one P3Covert (has a shield around the LED to reduce side flare), two P1s, and about half a dozen P2s. I prefer the P2. It follows the KISS rule, though the 4 screws are a pain when it's time to change the batteries--the P1 & P3 cases are better in that respect, IMHO. They're also more "water resistant", though the P2 I've carried daily for 3 years once came unclipped from my keys while loading kids into carseats, & spent a rainy night in a puddle in a parking lot. 24 hours later, when I retrieved it, it still worked just fine, and there were only a couple of drops of water inside the case when I opened it.

I've had all variants turn on while in my pocket--enough pressure from keys or other contents will make it happen. The P1s will turn off when the pressure is released, and so will the P2 & P3 (if the momentary switch is pressed), but both the P2 & P3 have also stayed on when the constant-on switches got hit just right while in pocket.

LRI's customer service has been outstanding, as well.

Check out their web site at: http://www.photonlight.com/index2.html

David

#17072 - 06/12/03 10:52 PM Re: Photon 2 vs photon 3
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I have got a lot of Photon 3 lights (bulk purchase ...).

Usually, I keep them in half power mode (at least for the "dangling" ones, on keyrings or attached to my beltpack).
Most of the time, it's enough light.
And the momentary switch gives a full light any time, if needed in a hurry.

I use the autoshut-off feature if there is a risk of unwanted pressure on the switch (lights stored in confined space, ie PSK).

Last week, I had to go under a sink to look for a leak in the plumbing : a Photon 3, in medium constant mode, hold between the teeth, was very helpfull !

As for the blinking modes, I guess they are more usefull for signaling or to attract attention (a red Photon3 used in replacement for a dead rear light on a bike, at night ...)

I did get a high percentage of failing lights, but as someone said, the Customer Service is great : Bryan AVERY has been very helpfull, either to solve the shipping problems I had with the first shippment or, later, to replace the DOA lights.

Alain

#17073 - 06/16/03 02:10 PM Re: Photon 2 vs photon 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the Photon 2 and several 3s. They are all great lights. I think the 3 is by far the best in it's class now that the latest version (with the SOS mode) has finally remedied all the problems of the earlier releases. I have never used the blinking modes, but the dimming is a nice feature because it gives you the option to significantly extend battery life and still get adequate light for many uses. The covert option is also a great feature and not available on the 2.

I highly recommend the 3.

#17074 - 06/21/03 01:57 PM Re: Photon 2 vs photon 3
Milestand Offline

My vote goes to the Photon 2. I bought one Photon 3 for my Mom, and she found that despite being in the Auto-Off mode, the batteries kept running down. In the future I will buy only Photon 2's - their simplicity is the element that makes them the superior design. (Plus, in my view, the only real advantage of the Photon 3's might be their waterproofness, but I have had my Photon 2's submerged on several occasions with no ill effects.)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 461 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.