Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9304 - 09/16/02 06:33 PM PSK Compass and Mirror??
Anonymous
Unregistered

After reviewing the previous post about Urban Survival Kits I realized that I do indeed need a small compass and signal mirror. I have no problem getting around Chicago since I grew up there put this past weeks adventure in Houston helped me realize the benefits of having a compass in an urban environment that is not so familar. <br><br>Question that I have is where do I find these Brunton 15mm button compasses? I've seen references to popping out the compass in a Coleman combo thermometer. Is it hard to pop the compass out without damaging the compass? Is this compass really the Brunton 15mm or is there a place that I can actually buy a geniune brunton 15mm compass. Second, where do I find a decent signal mirror that will fit in my altoids box. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

#9305 - 09/16/02 07:16 PM Re: PSK Compass and Mirror??
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Our friend Barry @ Blueline Outfitters stocks the Brunton compass. He carries a wide assortment of mirors also. Just check the retailers list for his contact info.

#9306 - 09/16/02 07:18 PM Re: PSK Compass and Mirror??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your best shot at fitting a mirror in a tin, unless you are using the tin itsself as the mirror, or some aluminum tape on the tin, would be to get the REI Featherweight Mirror from REI.com and trim to fit.<br><br>The best source of button compasses are any of the small items such as zipper pulls, key chains, watch-band compasses, etc. that have button compasses built-in. Sometimes they are the Brunton brand, but others are as good or sometimes better. They come out easily, typically being held in by double-sided tape. You can pull them straight out with pliers. One particularly good one is 20 mm and comes in the "REI Mini Compass" key chain.

#9307 - 09/16/02 07:20 PM Re: PSK Compass and Mirror??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not all zipper pull compasses are easily removed. I found that the ones from REI are both easily disassembled and decent compasses. OTOH the coleman ones seem epoxied in and won't come out without damaging the compass. YMMV.

#9308 - 09/17/02 12:23 AM Re: PSK Compass and Mirror??
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
Silva make great button compasses both with and without luminous markings.<br><br>Free credit card sized CD samplers make OK mirrors and have sighting holes already in place, or you can cut down a regular CD to fit. Cheap and nasty, but at least as effective as aluminium foil or using the altoids tin itself.

#9309 - 10/12/02 03:11 PM Re: PSK Compass and Mirror??
Anonymous
Unregistered

i found my mirror at the local sporting goods store (i believe its made by coghlan), it is made of acrylic.cost $1.99 <br> i took my dremel tool and cut it down to the shape of an altoids tin and glued it to the bottom of it. the compass i have i got from the ranger digest site.... http://www.therangerdigest.com/ it cost me $5

#9310 - 02/24/03 03:43 PM Re: PSK Compass and Mirror??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, the Coleman zipper pull compasses come out quite nicely if you put your coat in the dryer and, umm, forget to take the zipper pull off first. By the time I realized what that horrible banging noise was, the zipper pull was in four pieces - front, back, thermometer and compass.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 471 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.