Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#12302 - 01/24/03 06:13 AM Beta Lights
Kuzushi Offline
Stranger

Greetings

Just a few quick questions on Beta lights.

In Wiseman's book he recommends a beta in the PSK. I haven't noticed anyone including 1 in there kits, why? Also does anyone have any experience with them? Since they last 10-15 years, they seem like a good augmentation to a photon.

Dave

PS I found a source for them here:
Safety Markers

#12303 - 01/24/03 08:16 AM Re: Beta Lights
wola Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK
Dave,

I own a Beta Light (the smaller locating model) and have just replaced it by a Photon III. I decided to do so as despite them lasting 10-15 years, they don't, for the size, give out the amount of light I would like them to.

I currently have taken it out of the kit and attached to my PSK box so that I can find it in the pitch black. It is always on. I also use it to attach the the back of my smock or hat / helmet band for walking in the dark (similar to the US ranger bands but this one is easier to take off if you don't want to be seen suddenly as none of the scrim you have tucked in the ranger band falls out!!

I currently use a US Military Personal Decontamination Pads box to carry my PSK. It is about 4.5 inches by 3.5 by 2.5 and seals waterproof without any additional tape (just had to add an extra rubber o-ring). The lid is attached by a small web strap to the base and on this strap is a hook for attaching to pretty much anything and it is here that I have attached the Beta Light. The Photon III is then the first thing on top when you pop open the lid.

It's good but the size that fits into a PSK with room left to spare does not give out enough light to do much with, or so I've found.

Cheers,
Rich

#12304 - 01/24/03 09:56 AM Re: Beta Lights
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

BETA lights are expensive, hard to get, and are to dim, so you cant use it to signal people.

#12305 - 01/24/03 03:01 PM Re: Beta Lights
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
If you go to http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi and run a search, there has been much discussion on the Trasers/beta lights. From what everyone can gather, they are not legal for individuals in the US. Our European and Asian brethren can buy these freely, with no restriction, but not here in the US. You can get these, but must obtain them from overseas with the knowledge that you are running the risk of running afoul of the NCR. The company in the US that distributes these will not sell them to an individual, but only to a bonifide government agency. I checked into these for our rescue team and was told that they could NOT sell them directly to team members, but to the county government, who would first have to register with the NRC. Since the was no way the county government wanted to get involved with registration and accountability to the NRC, it was a dead issue. Pete

#12306 - 01/24/03 06:58 PM Re: Beta Lights
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Beta lights contain gaseous tritium. A radioactive isotope, just imagine all the hassle that goes with one if you break it. GT is very nasty if ingested or absorbed into a cut or your eye. My advice is to steer clear of them.

Johno

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 457 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.