Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#11451 - 12/22/02 07:47 AM GMRS/FRS two-way radios
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I've noticed lately that the prices on FRS radios have dropped quite a bit recently, so while picking up some christmas presents, I finally broke down a bought two new Motorola T6250 radios.

However, when I got them home, I noticed that they are combination GMRS/FRS radios. GMRS radios require an FCC license, according to the fine print on the back of the package.

Now, Motorola's web site can driect one to the FCC on-line applications, but the FCC site is extremely confusing.

1. Does the proliferation of these radios mean the FCC has relaxed the licensing requirements? Does the FCC really enforce the license requirements?

2. Do I need a license because I posess a GMRS capable radio, or only if I transmit on GMRS-exclusive frequencies? I bought two radios--does this mean my wife needs a license, too? The GMRS licenses apparently cost $75 each, and my wife is going to kill me if she finds out we need to pay $150 to use our $50 radios!

3. I believe I filled out the license form correctly, but I'm not entirely sure? Will I receive some sort of notification about my application? When should I expect notification? How exactly does the FCC define the term "call sign" and who assigns call signs? Do I just make one up?

4. Why is the FCC site so damn confusing? I'm a very intelligent person, but the information the FCC provides is so ambiguous that even I can't make heads or tails out of it!

#11452 - 12/22/02 01:57 PM Re: GMRS/FRS two-way radios
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amper:

I found this site on GMRS activity: http://www.provide.net/~prsg/wi-gmrs.htm

If you only use FRS frequencies and limit power to 300 milliwatts you do not need a license. The trick here, though, is that FRS and GMRS channels overlap and your radio may default to a higher wattage on those channels.

As for the FCC process, I'm fairly sure that they will let you know if there is an error on your application. Otherwise you should get the ticket in a few weeks. I know tat their web sites are confusing but that are a lot better than they used to be.

Chris

#11453 - 12/23/02 07:29 PM Re: GMRS/FRS two-way radios
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Amper-
You are not alone in having trouble with the whole GMRS licensing deal. Many (myself included) have bought the radios thinking it's a simple, inexpensive process, and it's really not. Myself, I figured the license would be $10-15. Nope, it's 75 like you mentioned.

I'll try to answer your questions:

1) The FCC has not relaxed the requirements, in fact they've made them more strict. Previously, businesses and clubs could get a single license for all their employees/members to operate under. Now, the FCC is only issuing new licenses to individuals. Existing users may be grandfathered. The FCC does enforce the rules, especially when there are complaints. GMRS is similar to Amateur Radio, the users are fairly self-policing. But, it gets harder to enforce the rules when just anyone can walk into wal-mart and buy a radio for $30 and start keying up GMRS repeaters.

2) The FCC is a little fuzzy on this one, but when I bought my radio, planning to use it only with FRS, I still got the license. Since the radio itself is "type accepted" or "FCC Certified" for both services, you should have a license. Chris was correct in stating that if you're under the power limit (actually it's 1/2 watt or 500mW), and sticking to the GMRS Interstitial / FRS frequencies then probably nobody will bother you.

The good news for you is that the $75 license you bought applies basically to your immediate family (related by blood or by law), so you don't need 2 licenses for you and your wife to communicate. Since we're not officially related yet, when my fiance and I talk over them I give her an FRS unit, and I keep the GMRS radio and do all the IDing, etc. Once we're married, she'll get one, too (maybe).

3) The FCC does assign you a callsign, and it takes a couple weeks to get the ticket in the mail, but after you've submitted your application (and fee) you can use a temporary callsign. It's explained at the end of Form 605
http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.pdf

Schedule F - Instructions
GMRS: Your temporary call sign will consist of the letters "WT" plus your business or residence telephone number.

4) The FCC site does take some getting used to, but it's replacing several olders systems, some based on paper, some not, so it's still kind of a hack. Just remember that you get a FRN (FCC registration #) kind of like a SSN to uniquely identify you, and then you apply for your license using that #.

I hope this all makes sense.

Keep in mind that in a survival/emergency (safety of life or property) situation, all these rules go out the window. Anyone can use any frequency or output power necessary to summon help. Just be sure it's a real emergency.

Good Luck!
-red_jeep

#11454 - 12/23/02 09:59 PM Re: GMRS/FRS two-way radios
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good info y'all. I've always wondered about GMRS/FRS. I think I may finally get some.

John McIntire

#11455 - 12/24/02 05:38 AM Re: GMRS/FRS two-way radios
Anonymous
Unregistered

It seems like all Government web sites are impossible to understand. If you want to get the best info on GMRS and FRS (written in plain English that is) then check out GMRS Web . They should be able to answer any question that you have on the bulletin board, though I would suggest reading the FAQ first. There is quite a bit of radio knowledge in some of those old guys. Although they do tend to get a little defensive over their personal ideas of whats legal and or ethical. Personally I think that 406 MHz beacons are a great idea. But they only see the potential for abuse. They deal with alot of "pirates" using GMRS illegally. Just check the archives and don't take everything that is said as absolute truth. Remember, these guys are getting all their info from the same messed up FCC website. They just spend all of their time reading that stuff and understand it better than most! But they truly are the best source for GMRS/FRS/MURS.

Jeff Zwang

#11456 - 01/03/03 03:49 PM Re: GMRS/FRS two-way radios
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Thanks everyone for your answers! After reading the info that was passed on, I was glad that I didn't have to buy a separate license for my wife and other family members.

I received my license yesterday from the FCC. My new call sign, as assigned by the FCC, is WPWN327. Apparently the licenses are effective for five years from the grant date, which in my case was 2002-12-24.

#11457 - 01/03/03 04:51 PM Re: GMRS/FRS two-way radios
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you had a chance to use the radios? How do you like them so far? I plan on getting a couple when my cash flow allows. Oh yeah, can you use these radios to communicate with anyone who has FRS/GMRS service, or only people with Motorola radios? Stupid question I know. Thanks!

John McIntire

Edited by jwmcintire (01/03/03 05:12 PM)

#11458 - 01/05/03 06:42 AM Re: GMRS/FRS two-way radios
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Provided you use the same frequencies (which may be assigned to different channel numbers on different radios) you should be able to communicate with any other FRS/GMRS radio with one of the Motorola hybrid radios. I do it all the time between my Audiovox GMRS-1525 and Motorola Talkabout 250

FRS Channel 1 462.5625 MHz is suggested by some as the FRS calling channel. This is also one of the GMRS interstitial channels (between 462.550 and 462.575, hence the name). Even the simplest, earliest manufactured FRS radios with only 1 or 2 channels usually have this. Most handheld GMRS radios will have it as well.

In an emergency, you would want to disable any and all privacy codes (CTCSS/PL or DCS) and voice scrambling for maximum interoperability with other units. You would attempt to make contact on FRS channel 1 and then move to another channel if available.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 600 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.