Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#10851 - 11/25/02 06:57 AM "survival knives"
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am catching up here ( crashed server). The ever popular knife topic has covered a few unique approaches. The ATAX, Tom Brown Tracker and Chris Janowskie's Ranger represent attempts to create a versatile tool ( and income) On the other hand, Mors Kochanski advocates humble Moras. In the middle are the robust Fallkniven, Cold Steel ,Beckers et al. Please remember we live in a world where timeless skills such as knife use are either lost or socially suspect. Multi use designs such as an ATAX and the simple Moras require KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE. The novice will either break the tool or inflict a self injury. This is where robust,simple knives with good grips and guards really perform: not amputating phone books, impaling car doors or winning macho name contests. Just working for people who are cold and scared. I personally carry a tool kit that looks like a page from an old Bureau of Ethnology volume. It seems to arouse less worry from people. Secure in my serious kit is a Fallkniven. I shot myself with the ATAX slingshot and the range holes on Chris' Ranger refuse to cooperate with my prescription ;O)

#10852 - 11/25/02 12:30 PM Re:
BoyNhisDog Offline

Loc: Arizona
When going light which is often, and I cannot carry a hatchet for all the other things I want to bring, I choose a combination out of this selection. I always take one fixed blade (CRK Sable III or IV) and always have one folder in my pocket (Large or Small Sebenza). This combination covers my bases well. The Sables can be batoned with no problem. All are razors built to take hard use. Notice the Sables have rubber innertube grips for insulation and a good grip in all conditions.<br><br><br><br>This is what the fixed blades are capable of doing. A knife with a spine as thick as this often will not cut this effciantly.<br><br><br> <br>I may choose differently in different situations but when going off on a routine flight or long dayhike, at least two of these will be with me along with my daypack.

#10853 - 11/25/02 08:18 PM Re: "survival knives"
BoyNhisDog Offline

Loc: Arizona
Just to add, I know a guy who cut down an 8" tree with a Mora and the knife was not damaged. I wouldn't trade all the skills for the best knife but having a very good knife set along with good well explored skills is better yet. Knowing how to use it is another thing and being familiar with what your blade will do and how to use it in different applications is very important. <br><br>Good topic!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.