Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7527 - 07/16/02 08:21 AM Cheapskate's DIY Wire saw
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I've always been wondering if you could make your own wire saw despite BCB and others producing wire saw of reasonable quality at a (sometimes) fair price. But for those of you who rather DIY,or for those who can't find any wire saws in the shops in where you live, here's what I did.<br><br> I was looking for aircraft cable to make my own snares with, seeing how the WSI kit has simple snares with fishing swivels at the ends of crimped aircraft cable. I thoght I could do that too. BUT I couldn't find any aircraft cable in the hardware stores here (OK so maybe I did't try hard enough, but no matter) so I wandered to the fishing tackle shops. Lo and behold - big game fishing trolling and leader wire. 49 strand uncoated stainless steel wire #44 test rated at 50lb (I'm not a fisherman, so it's all greek to me). I thought this would make really cool snare wire, and then I looked at it a little more carefully and considered that this could make a wire saw as well ( they cut on the principle of friction).<br><br>So with the big game wire, 2 number 6 fishing swivels, 2 copper sleeves (which came with the wire) and 2 split rings, I made the wire saw by threading the wire through the swivels and looping the wire back on itself into the sleeve and crimped it, much like the WSI kit game snare here:<br>http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic899.htm<br><br>I tested the wire saw and it works OK for a home made in 5 min project. It was able to cut through some PVC pipe and a small tree limb, though it's not as good as the embryotomy wire used in the BCB wire saw, but is more flexible and compact and lighter. Plus you can now make your own snares from the fishing wire.<br>Food for thought and fun for a rainy day.<br><br><br>

#7528 - 07/16/02 02:30 PM Re: Cheapskate's DIY Wire saw
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Sounds worth trying, thanks. What did you do the crimping with??? Just for info, you can cut thru PVC with plain old string or shoelaces. Heat does the trick...

#7529 - 07/17/02 01:59 AM Re: Cheapskate's DIY Wire saw
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Just one of those cheapo multiple use tool things - wire cutter, wire stripper, crimper, bolt cutter combo thingie.( OK I don't know whats the proper name for it ! )

#7530 - 07/17/02 02:36 PM Re: Cheapskate's DIY Wire saw
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I have a bone saw blade used by hunters. It already has loops on the end to which I added a pair of split rings for handles. You cans see an example on the Sportsmans Guide website. search for item number WX1 - 7396.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 139 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.