Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7093 - 06/25/02 07:15 PM AF knife revisited
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've been field testing the (in)famous AF knives; my recently rediscovered Ontario,vintage 1973 and a Camillus. Ergonomically the Ontario has an edge ( though niether comes with any to speak of) with a more pronounced barrel handle and a better profiled clip point. The Camillus has a higher Rockwell. Both points are very fragile. This eliminates any prying unless a bent, or more likely snapped point is desired. The field modified half guard on my Ontario makes choking up for fine work much easier, and the Camillus was needlessly awkward with the spear attachment point. Thats all it's good for, barring knife duels over the remaining MRE. The sawback does provide a nice control surface for the thumb. It is still marginal for sawing. My old laborious filing made for little improvement. Happily, it is the same diameter as paracord and did well enough for grooving sticks for improved lashing. Using the knife to split small billets of softwood was no problem. Cutting sawbacks theoretically weakens a blade with potential stress cracks. Avoid hickory and oak and use an equally soft billet for hammering. We want to drive the blade, not hammer forge it. Let the wood take the beating. The hammer pommel is usefull for small work; driving nails through a large hook's eye for a gaffhook or cracking shellfish or nuts. Bashing a moose femur for the marrow( the one you just dropped with the M6 .410 survival rifle) will result in a broken knife. Remember that hammer threads onto a rat tail tang with the softest zone temper. The metal tipped sheath is superior, both for retention and safety. @ 12' of paracord can be easily wrapped by tying an overhand knot, securing it under the stone pocket snap and winding, finishing with a simple overhand tuck. That stone is horrible! If your smart enough to sharpen the knife BEFORE need ( I saw plenty that never left the sheath since issue) get a better hone. Mine only seemed to undo my efforts.That small pocket is perfect for a small metal match and a packet of fishhooks. Many people cut a magnesium bar to fit. It's still not my first selection, the memory of that snapping blade is still vivid, but @ $35 average price a decent start for the budget conscious.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (06/25/02 07:37 PM)

#7094 - 07/02/02 03:02 PM Re: AF knife revisited
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Gotta agree with everything you said. Mine was an Ontario (I think, it is still in my ex shop, unless the ex has tossed it by now). Snapped the tip off of the blade trying to husk a coconut one time (coconut milk and rum makes a lousy toddy by the way). I actually did manage to cut a 2x4 in half with the saw. I got mine in about '66, there were not that many saw-back knives around then, so I was impressed. Mine was before the metal tipped sheath, I tried to reinforce the thing by gluing and stitching a piece of thick leather to the back of the sheath. I guess it worked, altho I never jump tested it. Best thing it has over the Mod 4 is the ability to dig out a splinter or clean your fingernails...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.