Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6466 - 05/25/02 06:38 PM Leatherpersons
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Leatherman Wave...great little tool, but thinking about another one to compliment it, for backup, or for having a feature my Wave doesn't. <br><br>I been thinking about the Crunch, but what others would make a good 'compliment' to my Wave? Others, it seems, such as the PST are woefully obsolete. Others, like the Super Tool, Pulse, etc. seem to be more of the same, and I can't tell them apart. <br><br>What do you guys think about the Crunch, compared to the Wave and others?

#6467 - 05/25/02 08:09 PM Re: Leatherpersons
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Skunk,<br><br>The Crunch is a neat little tool, but I was not able to convince myself that losing several useful tools was worth gaining a pair of locking pliers. If you're going to carry two tools (as it seems you intend to) just get a pair of ordinary Vise-grips. Much cheaper that way. If you want the Crunch so you can us the tool bit feature (which is handy) I'd suggest just getting a multi-bit screwdriver. Again, this is much cheaper. You might also look into one of the tool adaptors for the Leatherman Wave.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#6468 - 05/26/02 08:14 AM Re: Leatherpersons
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Sk,<br><br>In my opinion, the new Leatherman Supertool is the best of the multitools, with the Wave coming in second. I have a Wave & an older model ST. I'm now trying to rationalize getting a third. ;-) If you want something very different but complementary, consider a 5" or 6" needlenose Visegrip &/or a 12" Channel Lock pair of pliers. They are very helpful.<br><br>John

#6469 - 05/26/02 10:57 PM Re: Leatherpersons
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
I also have a Wave and a Supertool. Carry the supertool everyday (save the Wave for special occasions) and along with it a six inch adjustable wrench, Diamond with the extra wide opening jaws. If i didn't carry the wrench i would most likely carry Visegrips. If you are looking to complement what you carry what tool do you reach for the most after the Wave? As long as that tool isn't a ten pound sledge there a number of companies that make holsters that will hold a Leatherman, a Mini-Maglight, and have room left over for another tool without being much bigger than the standard Leatherman holster. If you are looking for redundancy carry a good pocket knife or maybe a Micra. And yes i carry both along with the Supertool.<br><br>And i agree with John about the new Supertool being one of the best, but i haven't bought one yet either. The last time i was in my favorite knife shop looking at the new Supertool he had just received his latest shipment from Chris Reeve. Needless to say i didn't buy a Supertool;>)

#6470 - 05/27/02 10:19 AM Re: Leatherpersons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,<br>having leathermen :-) for over 10 years, I have also looked at other versions to compliment my Wave. First question I have is "what do you use it mainly for". I think this will determine if having other types of tools etc would be better than a crunch.<br><br>I know what you mean about a backup. I ended up buying another Wave and stashing it in my draw as I still think the Wave is the best because the one-handed operation can't be beaten. I also bought a Purple Juice as well...the reason is that it has all the tools of the Wave but also a Cork screw....it was the only thing missing.<br><br>Once you work what you 'really' need it for then I think you will come to an answer.

#6471 - 05/28/02 02:32 AM Re: Leatherpersons
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it is worth considering the weight of the tools you are packing, versus the complexity of the mechanisms you might be dealing with. If I am backpacking, weight is a very important consideration, and I usually have very few gadgets on which I can use a really extensive toolkit. I find that the original PST (4-5 oz)works fine for these situations (I have carried a PST since 1985). I love the Wave(9 oz) for general wear, front or back country, when weight isn't all that critical. When bicycling I carry a small toolkit specific for the bike I am riding - either the Wave or PST is incorporated. If I am car camping or travelling by car, I carry about ten pounds of tools and basic replacement parts belts, etc). The Cruch is intriguing, but I have several smallish Vise Grips that are far less expensive than a Crunch, and that work well with a Wave when doing roadside work. I find that usually the tool I reach for to supplement whatever Leatherman I am using is a really good screwdriver and, after that, a socket set.

#6472 - 05/28/02 06:20 AM Re: Leatherpersons
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Sk,<br><br>You may want to consider getting the Leatherman adapter to complement your Wave. The adapters are fairly large. Much of the time you should be able to use just the adapter & tool bit as a screwdriver separate from the Wave. Thus you would have both an independent Wave & screwdriver. For a really stubborn screw, you can always attach the Wave for more leverage. You may also want to add nutdriver bits for the adapter. Be sure to add any specialized bits you may need. A classic example would be bits fitted exactly to match gun screws.<br><br>The tool I most frequently use to supplement the multitool is a pair of 12" Channel Lock pliers. Note, however, my applications are frequently agricultural & frequently involve working on larger machinery. Another tool I often carry is a SAK Swisschamp in an SOS kit. It too, complements my Leatherman Supertool. YMMV.<br><br>John

#6473 - 05/29/02 01:24 AM Re: Leatherpersons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Skunkabilly,<br>I've got the Wave Tool Adapter Kit for my Wave, and I'm surprised at how versatile it can be. I ordered a combo sheath from Leatherman that securely holds the Wave and Tool Adapter Kit for excellent convenience. <br>Anyway, back to your inquiry, I would probably go with the Crunch or ST200, as a complement to the Wave. The Crunch because of the vise grips, and the ST 200 because all the tool blades lock. The Wave is an excellent tool, but for heavier duty tasks, you can't go wrong with either of the other two.

#6474 - 05/29/02 08:15 AM Re: Leatherpersons
Anonymous
Unregistered

So let me get this straight...the ST200, EVERYTHING locks, not just the blades? Cuz the blades on the Wave rock (on the outer edge) but the other stuff doesn't lock, but I've never had a problem, I have a very gentle touch....<br><br>If money was no object, any shortcomings to a Crunch instead of another vise grip? A leatherman on the belt is better than a toolkit left in the trunk....

#6475 - 06/05/02 09:19 PM Re: Leatherpersons
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Oh geez, don't call the original PST obsolete! It's got exactly the tool set I want, and has a very slender and pleasing profile. It's been in my pocket ever since the day I got it.<br><br>I carry a Wave in my shoulder bag and a micra on my keyring, but that PST is the most-often used tool I have.<br><br>I can also recommend the SideClip for a light, easy to carry, handy toolset. If you doubled up with that, you'd have separate pliers and screwdrivers, which can come in handy.<br><br>Bear

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 389 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.