Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6835 - 06/07/02 03:42 PM Sparklite vs Ranger Rick
WOFT Offline

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
can any1 compare the sparklite and the Ranger Rick 4 fingered firestarter? i havn,t used either, but would like to get one. other firestarter reviews would be helpfull aswell. thanx!!

#6836 - 06/07/02 05:10 PM Re: Sparklite vs Ranger Rick
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
IMHO, Ranger Rick's "Survival Necklace" is a pile of excrement. The sparklite works very well and is not fragile. The Ranger Rick is a cut down mini-bic lighter without the butane. It is rather flimsy. I saw several at the blade show, and most were making fun of it. Andy.

#6837 - 06/07/02 06:07 PM Re: Sparklite vs Ranger Rick
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Andy, I thought about buying one of the necklaces at one time and decided I could put one together cheaper and with better items that would suit my needs. I don’t know Rick, but think he is trying to fill a niche. I doubt he will get rich on the product; it likely has a limited market. Even if a product does not meet up to the standards/needs of this group, I would urge not making fun or using derogatory remarks about a product, it might inspire individuals to come up with their own version. Pete

#6838 - 06/07/02 08:31 PM Re: Sparklite vs Ranger Rick
WOFT Offline

Thanx guys. Sparklite 2 - 0 Ranger Rick. can any1 beter that score :-) ?

#6839 - 06/08/02 02:07 AM Re: Sparklite vs Ranger Rick
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I have both the sparklite and have made a pseudo-sparklite from a mini bic disposable butane lighter.(Tom Ayers has as well). The original spark-lite beats the copy hands down in terms of quality and sturdiness. But in terms of firestarting ability, they are about on par (OK the spark-lite generates more sparks). If you've got the right tinder, both will do the job. I would say the pseudosparklite is even better than a MFS in terms of starting a fire with the same tinder (MFS=lots of sparks but going everywhere at once cf. conc. sparks on the sparklite/mini-bic head)<br><br>The plus side of the pseudo-sparklite is that it is really easy to make on your own, functional and the bottom of the lighter can be filled with fishing gear / matches / tinder to save on space in a PSK. A simple and fun project to do on your own and is virtually free if you take someone's used lighter (the butane usually runs out before the sparking ability, but best to start with a fresh new lighter, unless you want to replace the flint)<br>It's a little exercise in thinking out of the box and like tom did, a good scout project.<br>Also, for guys like me who have to order the sparklite from the US its a good start.<br><br>here's the link to tom's post <br>Scout project<br><br>Plus, you won't throw away the bic lighter now after it's gas has run out. It can still start many fires. So if you know how to modify it, you would have two fire starting devices in one !

Edited by Trusbx (06/08/02 02:19 AM)

#6840 - 06/08/02 02:16 AM Re: Sparklite vs Ranger Rick
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am a big fan of the little sparklite. It is easily packed, the tinder will not deteriorate and it has never failed. It's no flamethrower. Flamethrowers are nice, but a sparklite encourages a little care and deliberation- qualities that make for success. The Ranger Rick unit is better than a damp book of paper matches. I personally found it awkward-bad news in the cold or dark. In any case firemaking options should be redundant. The metal matches that produce sparks when struck by a knife ( or attached hacksaw blade) are the simplest ( no moving parts) but require some tinder either gathered or added. If a commercial flight banned flammables this may be your best carry option. Matches, lighters, various fire pastes, candles and fuels are additional options, but being consumable units are hampered by service life.

#6841 - 06/08/02 02:40 PM Re: Sparklite vs Ranger Rick
Anonymous
Unregistered

i s like the sparklite no doubt about that but personally think the rangerricks fire starter is better. it is about the same when it comes to durability and when it comes to sparks ranger ricks produces many more and the sparks are much hotter than the sparlite's the other thing i likes about ranger ricks is that it has a compartment on the bottom foe tinder i was able to fit 1 sparklite tinder tab in the compartment.

#6842 - 06/10/02 11:54 AM Re: magnesium block
WOFT Offline

i also carry a magnessium block in my moonbag (is that wat you guys call a fanny pack?). is there an easier way to shave the magnesium? it really takes a long time and never falls in one place.

#6843 - 06/10/02 12:44 PM Re: magnesium block
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I agree that shaving the magnesium is a real pain. There is unfortuantely no easier way to shave the block besides, well, shaving ;-). I use the back of my lockback knife to do the shaving and striking my flint rod.<br>I usually use a small piece of foil and (try) put all my shavings on it so that it will form a neat pile (or a big leaf will do) as trying to get the shavings from the ground is darn near impossible.<br>The bigger the pile the better the flash fire for your tinder.<br>But I still prefer the spark-lite and its copy... :-)<br>MFS is too tiring to use.....<br><br>

#6844 - 06/10/02 01:36 PM Zippo thought
Anonymous
Unregistered

No one advocates Zippo-type liquid fuel lighters (because of fuel evaporation) but if you find an old garage sale sample of the small one, it's basically a sparking device with tightly packed cotton inside the case. Fits in the watch pocket of your jeans.<br><br> If you didn't want to use it the normal way with liquid fuel, you could easily store lots of cotton soaked with petroleum jelly in the base, plus spare flints enough for a year in the wilderness. No pocket goo, and stays nice and dry. If you had a mind to, you could probably also fit an Xacto blade or two, fishhooks, sinkers, what have you in the lid, wrap the case with fishing line, tape, or whatever. Only downside is the weight of the metal case, but it would have an innocuous appearance and not scream "survival kit." Pair it up with a mega-keychain and a Fresnel in your wallet, and you'd cover most of your EDC items<br><br> If you carry only the sparklite or the Ranger Rick version, a single flint could be a weak point, and they're hard (impossibile?) to replace in either one.<br><br> I'm also playing with the "metal match", that has a screw-in metal "match" in a very small cotton fuel-soaked container. You strike it by scraping on the ferrocerrium rod along the side of the container. Looks a bit Mickey Mouse, but seems to work pretty well. No idea as yet how long the fuel takes to evaporate versus a Zippo type lighter, but it appears somewhat promising, since the "match" screws in and seems to seal the opening where evaporation would occur. Find 'em on Ebay, if you're interested, for a few bucks.<br><br> BTW, even if you're not impressed with Ranger Ricks's survival necklace, I think he deserves credit for thinking outside the box." His website (www,therangerrickdigest.com) has a lot of neat ideas, and shows that he's "one of us."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.