Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6288 - 05/17/02 08:36 PM Wildfires
Doug_Ritter Online   happy

Pooh-Bah

The recent/ongoing "Indian Fire" in Prescott, AZ, which has burned 6 homes and threatened the entire town, got me thinking and I'm posting here a message I exchanged a few months ago with a good friend who lives up there. In many areas of the West the fire danger this year is particularly high, so extreme caution is in order:<br><br>I think your efforts to clear and maintain a safety zone around the house is a sound strategy, widely recommended. There's something else you should also consider, the possibility that no matter what you do, you may have to evacuate at some point.<br><br>As I mentioned, we have had two friends burned out of their homes by wildfires. One prepared ahead and saved most all that was really important to them. The others lost many if not most of their irreplaceable possessions. They just weren't organized enough to get it all out in a crunch. it was tragic.<br><br>I would suggest the following:<br><br>Back-up all your most critical records and send them someplace safe, out of town is best. Put the rest together where they are secure, but where you can quickly access them.<br><br>As we have discussed previously, back up the critical stuff (articles, manuscripts, etc.) on the computers and send it off-site. One idea is to set up an exchange with a friend who lives elsewhere so you can trade each other and keep it reasonably current, say once a month. Or arrange for one of those online back-up services. Something.<br><br>Decide what that you own that is reasonably mobile that you can't live without. This includes irreplaceable mementos. If appropriate, IOW not regularly in use, pack them up ready to be loaded into the truck at a moment's notice. Set up additional packing boxes/crates for stuff that you need and use daily or which must be locked up, like the collection and patterns. You should be able to pack these up in minutes and try it ahead of time and make sure you can do it without having to be too careful about it. Haste doesn't allow care unless you sort it out and are prepared ahead of time.<br><br>Do a test and make sure you can evacuate the home in an hour or less. Less is better, though in all but the most tragic circumstances of a fire starting in the neighborhood, an hour will be sufficient. <br><br>With any luck at all, you'll never need to rely on these preparations, but if needed...<br><br>Just a word to the wise...<br>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#6289 - 05/18/02 02:37 AM Re: Wildfires
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you own pets have a pet carrier, food and any meds ready. People often lose their lives trying to rescue pets. Livestock may be turned loose along with fleeing wildlife. Be prepared for collisions on the road. The simple old wool blanket may become an expedient shelter in a firestorm and warmth at an evacation center. It goes without saying this is a bad time to practice bowdrill fires, and a good time for heads on swivels, noses in the wind and a ready pencil and paper. Many fires are arson related.

#6290 - 05/18/02 04:19 AM Re: Wildfires
Anonymous
Unregistered

After the Malibu fires of a few years ago, my wife and I sat down and made a prioritized list of what to grab in case we were threatened by a fire. About a year later, we got our chance to try it out, when flames licked at the outskirts of Ventura and four engine companies spent the night in the lot across from our house. We had run through the list (you get the family photos, I'll grab Aunt Minnie's vase) and were ready to leave, with our sleeping three year old ready to plunk in the car. Then it rained! (It hardly ever rains in October in SoCal). It was a really great exercise. Thoughtful decisions before the crisis is the key.

#6291 - 05/18/02 01:32 PM Re: Wildfires
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A photo I.D. WITH ADDRESS is also invaluable for ALL family members. Disaster areas are often secured. If residents are allowed in at all, I.D. s are mandatory. Looters and the morbid curiosity of "looky-lous" will also remain a problem long after the actual event. My Grandparent's home was destroyed by fires in the 1960s. During the night somebody stole the chain link fence surrounding the burning remains.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/18/02 05:54 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.