Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1360 - 08/23/01 12:15 PM Neck lanyards
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
For those of you who wear neck lanyards to carry a few choice pieces of gear at all times, what brand of lanyard do you prefer, and what do you carry on it?<br><br>

#1361 - 08/23/01 01:32 PM Re: Neck lanyards
Anonymous
Unregistered

The one offered by LRI as an accessory to the Photon Micro Light flashlights is very nice. It has a good plastic snap-together break-away coupling to keep you from strangling and a very nice metal snap-hook for quickly attaching and detaching gear. They can be ordered individually at the LRI site and are affordable. I forget the exact price but about $4 with another $2 for shipping would probably cover it.<br><br>Otherwise you could just make one, maybe from some para cord or para cord sheath. Be sure to allow for break-away.<br><br>What you put on it is up to you. A whistle is common. A Photon, button compass, tiny knife would be good choices. A small vial if you need any critical medications. Maybe a big gold medalliion like Mr. T.<br><br>

#1362 - 08/23/01 02:26 PM Re: Neck lanyards
Craig Offline

Thanks, CastAway. <br><br>I do have my eye on that lanyard. Wanted to see what the experts here thought.<br><br>I'm currently using an old ID lanyard. I attached a Photon II, a thermometer/compass, and a British Metropolitan Bobbies' whistle. I gave my Mini Fox 40 to my wife and haven't found another one to buy yet. If I can't find one, maybe I'll get one of the flat USCG whistles. A button compass is a good idea and would save some weight. <br><br>What's your idea of a "tiny" knife? A Vic Classic, perhaps?<br><br>

#1363 - 08/23/01 04:47 PM Re: Neck lanyards
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My neck lanyard is a quality strip of leather weakly stitched into a loop with waxed thread. If I get hung up, the thread will tear through or snap. I don't want melting paracord on my neck. the strap makes an expediant knife strop.On the water my neck knife is a Myerchin. On horseback a small Puukoo.Guardless knives, while inherently more prone to accidental cutting, have an advantage. When your hurt, cold or working in small spaces it is EASIER to pull the knife towards you. that is why they actually taper toward the blade.The handle is for a pulling grip, and the enlarged butt makes for easier hammering or pushing . My mirror and whistle complete the assembly. These are the items I want immediate access to. Everything else goes into the pocket tins.<br><br>

#1364 - 08/23/01 06:15 PM Re: Neck lanyards
Craig Offline

I wouldn't want melting paracord on my neck, either. Ouch! I like your mirror idea. I have a small 2x3-inch StarFlash signal mirror in my kit. I may transfer it to a lanyard. What kind of whistle do you have? I'm using a British Metropolitan police whistle at the moment. I haven't been able to find another mini-Fox 40 (I gave my first one to my wife). Maybe I'll look for one of those flat USCG whistles.<br><br>

#1365 - 08/23/01 06:28 PM Re: Neck lanyards
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have the STORM Whistle on my lanyard. It's bulky, but I want to be HEARD! Don't forget to make some manner of protective sleeve for your mirror. It doesn't take a lot of abuse to scratch them. Exploration Products carries the USCG approved flat whistle @ 1.50 ea. They just increased basic shipping to 7.50. So unless they send you the blue introductory order sheet with free shipping buy some gear! www.epcamps.com. I also carry an Aussie 'bullroarer'. This is a small teardrop shaped piece of wood on a string. It makes a LOUD whirring noise that carries for miles. If you saw Crocodile DundeeII one is shown in use.Do a simple search for Bullroarer. There are a handfull of shops in AUS and Ca that sell fancy versions.<br><br>

#1366 - 08/23/01 08:55 PM Re: Neck lanyards
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>I haven't been able to find another mini-Fox 40 (I gave my first one to my wife). Maybe I'll look for one of those flat USCG whistles.<<<br><br>I wasn't all that impressed with the mini-Fox 40 for it's size or price- it's an awkward shape, and takes a fair amount of breath, but it does seem indestructable.<br><br>Campmor ( www.campmor.com ) has the flat ACR whistles, the ones that say "MEETS USCG REQUIREMENTS". I think they were $3. I have a couple, and they're pretty good.<br><br>Barry Schuchart at Blue Line Outfitters has a number of different types. He just got some "toy" whistles that look like the ones that come in the sardine-can survival kits, two tone, sound like a "bobby" whistle- they're even flatter than the ACR, probably not as sturdy, but they're louder and require less breath, which could be important. I'm probably going to use one in my smallest kit to save space.<br><br>Also, I cut down one of the "featherweight" mirrors that REI and Campmor sell to credit-card size for my small kit. These are very thin, and flexy like a credit card. They have a sighting hole (no grid) in the center, and are normally 4 1/4" x 3 1/8". Saves a lot of space over a thick mirror, glass or acrylic.<br><br><br>

#1367 - 08/23/01 09:04 PM Re: Neck lanyards
Anonymous
Unregistered

>What's your idea of a "tiny" knife? A Vic Classic, perhaps?<<br><br>Exactly. Or maybe a Gerber micro LST or something along those lines. I wouldn't find anything heavier or larger comfortable carried that way. I'm sure others would opt for larger knives.<br><br>

#1368 - 08/23/01 09:13 PM Re: Neck lanyards
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can find the Fox at athletic stores (referees buy them).<br><br>I'd recommend the Acme Tornado. Loud like Fox, flat like ACR. 3-chamber pealess. Better than ACR. Where I live there's an auto parts store called Pep Boy's that sells them under the Orion brand name as a keychain/safety whistle.<br><br>

#1369 - 08/24/01 03:07 PM Re: Neck lanyards
Craig Offline

Or you could get both the flat whistle (http://www.acrelectronics.com/ww3.htm) and a really cool-looking Survival Gear Pouch (http://www.acrelectronics.com/surv_pouch/pouch.html) from ACR Electronics (http://www.acrelectronics.com/) by visiting a dealer near you.<br><br>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 120 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.