Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2598 - 11/13/01 03:40 PM Bowdrill fire?
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
Does anyone on this forum master the skill of how to make burning ember/coal with a bow and drill? And getting an open flame from the process? I have seen it being done but never mastered it myself (not enough patence) :o)<br><br>Stefan, Sweden

#2599 - 11/13/01 03:58 PM Re: Bowdrill fire?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I can do it. That said, I still carry several forms of firemaking.You just don't pick up two sticks and rub them together. You have to select the correct materials( which may not be at hand),shape the materials( time factor),Keep the tension just right and nurture a tiny ember with the care of a pediatrician. It is a practice intensive skill, and one not easily learned from a book. If you've seen it done,approach that person for instruction.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (11/13/01 04:00 PM)

#2600 - 11/13/01 07:05 PM Re: Bowdrill fire?
BoyNhisDog Offline

Loc: Arizona
I heard a story once of a group of people who learned to make a fire with a bow and drill but in the field when they were "dropped off" to test their skills, they went a week without fire because it was not as easy as when they were in a more controlled environment.<br><br>I, like Chris, carry several ways to make fire. A tool that will cut down to dry wood if everything is soaked is a must too. That's why I believe in a good fixed blade. <br><br>That aside I think the bow and drill is a facinating way to make a fire.

#2601 - 11/13/01 07:46 PM Re: Bowdrill fire?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I made my first bow drill fire 15 years ago and I practice under worst case condition like dunking the set under water or making it with only a pebble size flake and I still carry matches and a snythetic flint. What it does do though is a great plan "C" and make the rest of your fire making skills better since you need almost perfect tinder ,wood ect. I've never seen a good bow driller have much trouble starting a fire under bad field conditions with a match ect. It force you to keep from cheating or over estimating your fire making skills.

#2602 - 11/13/01 11:03 PM Re: Bowdrill fire?
BoyNhisDog Offline

Yeah, I hear you Tracker. I think practicing a skill like this will make you better at parallel skills. I don't doubt an expert could do it better. <br><br>I did think it to be interesting what the teacher said about his students though. A group of people who could easily acomplish the task in a class type senario went without fire for a week in the wild.<br><br>Lately I've been starting fires in my backyard with a fresnel lens. There has always been a bit of pyro in me I guess.The bow and drill method is definitly a more primative and satisfying way to do it.

#2603 - 11/13/01 11:44 PM Re: Bowdrill fire?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So this "instructors" students went for a week in the wild without fire? On whom does this reflect? The students, or the teacher? I presume he received compensation for his "training". Were I his student, I would expect a refund and apology.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (11/14/01 12:48 AM)

#2604 - 11/14/01 01:35 AM Re: Bowdrill fire?
BoyNhisDog Offline

Chris, the "instructor" is someone who is "well known" in this field. With a little searching I found the passage that I was remembering. He claims that the "advanced students" did not search in the right places for their materials. I found the passage in "Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival." It was under Fire Making Techniques/The Bow Drill/Wood Selection. <br><br>He definately has his detractors as well as his groupies. I have read some of his writings and those of others discussing him, but I have never met him personally so I can't comment in a reasonable manner.<br><br>I don't believe everything I read. I never have, but I give it the weight that I think it deserves. Sometimes I am more lenient than other times. I keep my mind as open as possible but in this case I tend to agree with you.

#2605 - 11/14/01 05:58 AM Re: Bowdrill fire?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've taken about a dozen classes from TB over the years and while the week without fire is extreme its part of how he teaches. He believes failure is a great teacher so in every skill he gives you he leaves something out before you go out to practice it and you either figure it out on you own or he gives it to you after the exersive. Either way you'l never make the same mistake again.He reminds me of my old karate instructor who taught me some hard lesson in the dojo,3 trips to the doctor, but when I really needed it I walked away from a knife attack without a scratch. Tom also spends the class closely observing the student and if he see someone setting themselves up for a fatal mistake he arranges for it to happen in the class instead of for when its for real .

#2606 - 11/14/01 07:21 AM Re: Bowdrill fire?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tracker, My comment was not a blanket condemnation of Tom Brown. I too, have taken a class with him. Failing a task, and being miserable under the watchfull eye of instructors is one thing. Failing a potentially critical task as firemaking on your own quite another. The first post gave this impression. There have been many casualties from overzealous, or inadequate training. The drowning of Marine recruits years ago demonstrates no organization is immune. My concern is only with people who THINK they are prepared after a given course.

#2607 - 11/14/01 01:57 PM Re: Bowdrill fire?
BoyNhisDog Offline

Thanks for the insight Tracker. This is a very interesting thread.<br><br>The passage in his book did not go into any detail over his whereabouts during the exercise. He simply said a group of his advanced students were unable to successfully make fire with a bow and drill set for a week, and that they went without fire. Maybe the wording made certain impressions on me. I read this book 15 years ago and in whole it certainly make an impression on me,however it has been years since I have picked it up and looked at it.<br><br>Overall I really like the book, and I appreciate his being able to go into the wilderness "naked and survive" approach. I based my little essentials bag on his "survival belt pack" in the last chapter. <br><br>Chris, the reason for my original post was to agree with you that a redundancy in fire making methods is needed. It is certainly that important to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.