Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2286 - 10/24/01 04:20 PM How to store water?
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
When storing water for more than a few days (up to a year), what should be added in order to keep things from growing in the water? I am specifically concerned with storage in a vehicle or a home.<br><br>Will a teaspoon of bleach per galon suffice? Would it be a good idea to drop an iodine tablet or two in the water for storage? Any other advice?

#2287 - 10/24/01 05:01 PM Re: How to store water?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

go to www.MajorSurplusNSurvival.com They explain what is needed, and you have an indication of products and prices.I am not affiliated with MSS! They are the nearest dealer and I am most familiar with their offerings. Aside from antibacterial agents ( clorine, iodine etc.), you will need an oxygenator to inhibit algae. If this is an urban setting, what is your potential disaster,flooding, earthquakes,fire? After the Northridge quake, bottled water ,while rationed was readilly resupplied. It might be different if the transportation network ( flooding) is down.

#2288 - 10/24/01 05:06 PM Re: How to store water?
Anonymous
Unregistered

While we're at it..<br><br>It's fall here, and the temperature is supposed to drop rapidly this weekend, with the possibility of the first snows in the mountains. I know those of you in AZ and SoCAL don't care, but- does anyone know any tricks for keeping emergency water stored in your vehicle from freezing? So far, the best suggestion I've heard is to mix it with grain alcohol in one form or another. This probably has a downside.. admittedly, I might not care much about the downside as the experiment progresses, but a downside, nonetheless. ;-)<br><br>As for the other storage question.. this is just speculation.. it's often stated that the natural anti-bacterial properties of honey are what keep it from spoiling indefinitely. I wonder how dilute it can be and still hold true? It's gotta be healthier than chlorine...

#2289 - 10/24/01 05:32 PM Re: How to store water?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

to get any benefit from honey, you would have to boil it with the water. the boiling would be more beneficial than the honey's allready maximised antibacterial properties. Honey is also subject to herbacide and insecticide contamination ( remember it comes from flowers) and some individuals can experience severe allergic reactions. It is used as both a wound dressing and internal remedy in many medical traditions. Iodine will lose the taste test, but I've yet to have a bear ransack my rucksack for it!

#2290 - 10/24/01 05:36 PM Re: How to store water?
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
I live in Florida. The primary disaster here is Hurricane. For these you usually get a couple of days notice. This would give plenty of time to fill the containers.<br><br>However, I feel that it would be wise to store several gallons just in case of a prolonged power outage from other reasons.<br><br>Speaking of hurricanes: this site lists some suggested items to keep at home in case of an earthquake. It recommends keeping the items outside of the home. In case of a hurricane, outside of the home is probably the least safe place to keep items. I suspect that I would keep the stuff in my garage, but if the garage collapses due to the storm, this might be problematic.<br><br>Burying is probably out because of the extra expense in purchasing items that I use for camping anyways. Also, the list is quite large, and this would require digging up the whole yard wink Also, if you dig too far in Florida, you hit water. For those folks who do bury items, how do you deal with the items that have to be replaced periodicaly?<br><br>It might be possible to keep the items in a shed, but this is likely to be less safe than the garage. I have seen first-hand the damage that hurricane Andrew did. It is not pretty.<br>

#2291 - 10/24/01 08:00 PM Re: How to store water?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Iodine will lose the taste test, but I've yet to have a bear ransack my rucksack for it! <<<br><br>Maybe the bear's smarter than we are. :-)<br><br>That's how a friend defined the technology of food preservation. You poison the food just enough so that bacteria are too smart to eat it- and we're not.<br>

#2292 - 10/25/01 12:03 AM Re: How to store water?
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
It might be a bit expensive, but how about something like this?<br><br>http://www.greenlee.textron.com/download/archive/287-291.pdf<br><br>Here in the northwest, they sell these at the Home Depot chain. Prices start at $150 for the little guys.<br><br>The good thing is they very sturdy and come built in with provisions to keep them closed and have things you could chain them up.<br><br>For example, put in garage, use chain to bolt it to the foundation and use a combo lock to keep it closed. Should still be there if the whole garage is gone. Make sure you have a pry bar around in case something heavy smashes it and you have to convince the lid to open.<br><br>-john

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 352 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.