Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2214 - 10/23/01 03:33 PM Cipro
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Below is an article from the The Independent (London) regarding the over use of Ciproflaxen due to the Anthrax panic. Remember, the most important survival tool we have is our brain. Don't take any antibiotic if your physician has not prescribed it to you becasue of illness. Otherwise you may be jeopordizing everyone's long-term survivial.<br><br>BTW, my physician prescribed Cipro to me recently for my PSK after I explained why I wanted it. But I have held off on having it filled as I'm not planning any trips where I'll be carrying the PSK and others may have a more dire need for the drug than I right now.<br><br>============================================<br><br>The Independent (London) <br><br>October 23, 2001<br><br>By Steve Connor <br><br>Unnecessary use of the antibiotic ciprofloxacin to treat possible anthrax victims could cause more harm than good, doctors warned yesterday. <br><br>One fear is that antibiotic resistance could develop against ciprofloxacin, which is used for treating other infections. Some people might also suffer serious side-effects from needlessly taking the drug. Richard Corlin, president of the American Medical Association, said rising demand in the US for "cipro" due to the anthrax threat could be storing up trouble in the future. <br><br>"If we have hundreds of thousands of people taking antibiotics unnecessarily we are going to see resistant strains, and it is not just anthrax, we are going to see resistant strains of other organisms," he said. Antibiotic resistance is more likely to develop when an infected person does not complete a full course of treatment or by the transfer of "resistance genes" from one microbe to another. <br><br>Anthrax scientists in Britain said that although resistance to cipro might develop in some other harmful bacteria, it was unlikely to be a problem with anthrax in the foreseeable future. <br><br>John Bright, senior lecturer in microbiology at Manchester Metropolitan University, said not enough people were infect-ed with anthrax to enable the antibiotic to build resistance. <br><br>It is theoretically possible for closely related microbes, such as a food -poisoning microbe called Bacillus cereus, to develop antibiotic resistance which they could pass on to anthrax. However, to do this they need a transportable gene, called a plasmid, which is absent in the B cereus bacteria. <br><br>Prescribing ciprofloxacin needlessly was likely to cause unpleasant side -effects such as dizziness, depression, allergies, inflammation of the colon and sensitivity to sunlight. <br><br>Another problem with antibiotic overprescription was that it could modify micro -organisms with a protective role. "It's generally not a good idea to give people antibiotics just in case," added Dr Bright. <br>

#2215 - 10/23/01 07:16 PM Re: Cipro
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another excellent article on 'Cipromania' is in today's Washington Post.<br><br>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24037-2001Oct19.html<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 346 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.