Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2147 - 10/18/01 09:41 PM Doug's small knife Blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know why Doug only carries the two small knife blades in his kit. Why doesn't he carry a bigger pocket knife to fit into the kit?<br><br>Ted

#2148 - 10/19/01 01:42 AM Re: Doug's small knife Blades
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Are you asking why the knives are stored in the kit, or critiquing the size of the knives? Full sized field knives can be awkward to wear while in the cramped quarters of an aircraft. In the event of a crash, the small knives for cutting web strapping are much more accessable and needed. when horseback riding, I have a small neck knife for wrecks. a small fixed blade is down my boot.I got tossed once. getting hit in the kidney with your own knife hilt is no fun.

#2149 - 10/19/01 10:50 AM Re: Doug's small knife Blades
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing you're asking why there is no real knife inside the kit, just the two utility blades?<br><br>I normally carry no less than my Sebenza and a multi-purpose tool that includes a knife on my person, giving me at least two knife blades, usually 3 or 4 total, so having a knife inside the kit would be superfulous and take up a lot of space that can be used for more useful stuff. <br><br>The two utility blades in the kit are simply for back-up, skinning, whatever use. You could easily argue they aren't really necessary, but they are flat, thin and take up so little volume... Your mileage may vary.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#2150 - 10/19/01 01:32 PM Re: Doug's small knife Blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris,<br><br>No, No, No, I am not critizizing the choice of the small utility blades. I am just trying to understand why he carries them when you can get a small knife in there which could do more. There has to be a reason. I do the think the kit is the best I have ever seen!!!<br><br>Ted

#2151 - 10/19/01 02:00 PM Re: Doug's small knife Blades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug,<br>Thank you for responding back, I see that makes sense now. I have assembled the kit and I did go out and buy the blades. I also tested them to see what they can do. I was amazed at how tough and sharp those blades are, I was able to cut pretty much whatever I wanted. I even made a medium size figure four trap out of dried cotten wood. The blade is still sharp enough to do alot more. I did have to be very careful though. It was easier to carve the trap with the small blade than with my small lock back. Now I can have several small sharp blades as opposed to one small knife that I would have to sharpen soon.

#2152 - 10/19/01 07:18 PM Re: Doug's small knife Blades
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
"getting hit in the kidney with your own knife hilt is no fun"<br><br>Merely reading that was painful.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.