Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by Phaedrus @ 12/05/18 11:58 PM

I'm not a fan of scandi grinds at all. I'll happily tolerate them on a Mora due to the cheap-and-cheerful nature of that brand but I prefer a full flat grind for almost every purpose. When it comes to steels I feel they all have a place. Stainless
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by Ors @ 12/05/18 11:50 PM

Let me clarify... Im wondering, from those knowledgeable about knife grinds if the high flat grind on the RSK Mk 2 is easy to maintain in the field...with a whetstone lets say. I am also curious from a RSK Mk 2 owner if the spine is 90 or not.
The Survival Forum
My understanding, which may be off, that with a CME, or localized EMP, all electronic reliant components, including LED bulbs, would be fried.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by hikermor @ 12/05/18 09:28 PM

Not to say that a knife meeting the OP's specifications would not do a perfectly satisfactory job, but really, "the knife you have with you is the knife with which you will survive". I have been in a fair number of "borderline' situat
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by AKSAR @ 12/05/18 07:42 PM

Picking up and sorting through some stuff that got dumped off from a big bookshelf that fell over during our recent earthquake. Finding some things I should have tossed years ago. Nothing like an M7 earthquake to motivate one to clean up the hous
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by chaosmagnet @ 12/05/18 07:10 PM

I strongly prefer stainless steels. Carbon steels have their advantages, to be sure, but I'd rather have a high-end stainless for most purposes.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Would your BOB have worked for the ca fires? by hikermor @ 12/05/18 06:58 PM

Precisely a year ago, my preps did work. We did have more than enough time to assemble items from scratch, but it was well worthwhile to be able to just grab and go.... One item that would have been useful would be a N95 or N100 mask.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by Roarmeister @ 12/05/18 06:55 PM

We had a widespread power outage yesterday that affected a large chunk of the Province. There were pockets of the city that had power which led to a lot of people congregating in those parts - and a lot of people going for coffee because they couldn
The Survival Forum
I would like to think so. My BOB is a truck. Given the short time some people had, with virtually no time to grab anything, Id be okay. With the knowledge that there were active fires in the vicinity, my truck would have been loaded with other
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking by TeacherRO @ 12/05/18 06:38 PM

And always leave a note. Specify where you are going, how you are equipped and what to do if you don't return on time. A text is good too. <This make you so much easier to find.>
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... by TeacherRO @ 12/05/18 06:36 PM

A good place to start is a class or a book.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by TeacherRO @ 12/05/18 06:35 PM

My thinking is away from wilderness survival and more toward shelter in place/ local shelter/ hotel. Less call for a 24" machete and more for a phone charger.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: FAK + survival kit = comfort kit by TeacherRO @ 12/05/18 06:33 PM

for the wilderness/boating kit, I've added a pocket fresnel lens and a tiny signal mirror
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Would your BOB have worked for the ca fires? by TeacherRO @ 12/05/18 06:32 PM

The recent California fires are useful as a test for your planning; would your gear, plans and bob bag have been sufficient? What would you have added?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by hikermor @ 12/05/18 04:19 PM

The 90 degree specification allows effective use of the spine with a ferro rod. I am sure people have come out of the woods alive carrying steel other than high carbon (like stainless). The capabilities of the knife owner with respect to sharpening
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Belt knives by Ors @ 12/05/18 02:04 PM

So Ive been getting reacquainted with the prepping community and current best practices. All I keep hearing about with belt knives high carbon steel, 90 spine, Scandi grind, uncoated blade. Ive got the RSK Mk 2 on my wish list, but other than
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Spontaneous Immersion Kit by Tjin @ 12/05/18 07:19 AM

I had a resqme with a spring failure. It just started to rattle, because the spring was loose. Tested it; no tension, nothing. That why i got both simple hammer and a spring loaded window punch.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: the wrong boat on the wrong lake... by aligator @ 12/05/18 01:20 AM

As somebody said once, modern marvels and technology aside (we get arrogant over such things, occasionally to our doom), mother nature bats last. Tell me the last time you believed the forecast, and got hosed. The above, God rest their souls, just a
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Spontaneous Immersion Kit by aligator @ 12/04/18 10:06 PM

Murphy. Just my experience, with the key ring things with the window punch and webbing cutter, I tested the punch against the sole of my boot, just to see if it would work, the thing fell apart. As always, your mileage may vary, and use what works fo
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Spontaneous Immersion Kit by Russ @ 12/04/18 09:58 PM

What makes sense to me is a device inside the vehicle that doesnt require a swing to strike the glass, such as a hammer would require. One of the spring loaded window punches makes more sense; press against the glass, the spring is activated and sh
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Spontaneous Immersion Kit by aligator @ 12/04/18 09:22 PM

I already have window punches, in Molly loops on the drivers side visor, and on the vest, but in the video, he had gone through the evolution several times, so he had some familiarity or a comfort level, he knew what to expect, kind of, and he alread
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Spontaneous Immersion Kit by Russ @ 12/04/18 06:53 PM

Thanks, good demo on the Mythbusters youtube video. Another good video links from there Escape a Car Underwater What I liked about that video is they discuss and then demo the physics of opening a door underwater and during one exercise they fa
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Spontaneous Immersion Kit by roberttheiii @ 12/04/18 06:26 PM

I honestly think the best thing you can do for a sudden immersion in a "low risk" (not driving on ice...) automobile is to be mentally and physically (more on this later) prepared for the situation. This guy didn't do anything crazy (thoug
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: AKSAR?? by AKSAR @ 12/04/18 05:45 PM

We are still getting occaisional aftershocks. One (M 4.7) woke me up this morning. Seismologists tell us these will continue for quite awhile. Meanwhile, the task of cleaning up, and identifying and fixing damage continues. I discovered some minor da
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: AKSAR?? by Russ @ 12/04/18 05:28 PM

That really depends on your respective neighborhoods. I suspect that parts of LA/greater SOCAL will go lawless rather quickly other parts not so much. Small towns will do much better than larger metropoli. Just an opinion, Ill smile if proven w
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (hikermor), 223 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
eqock88, Nova, jackmiller, DaveL, Dale
5268 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What Do I Bring When Bugging Out?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
02:28 AM
The Commonplace Car Wreck
by chaosmagnet
10:12 PM
Belt knives
by Phaedrus
12/07/18 12:01 AM
the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking
by dougwalkabout
12/06/18 07:56 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by AKSAR
12/05/18 07:42 PM
Would your BOB have worked for the ca fires?
by hikermor
12/05/18 06:58 PM
Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies...
by TeacherRO
12/05/18 06:36 PM
New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism
by TeacherRO
12/05/18 06:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.