Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by chaosmagnet @ 09/25/20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkaboutThat's interesting. Is this for batteries sitting charged but static, as opposed to charging (traditionally the most dangerous mode) or discharging? Iím not a chemist. One of the better sites Iíve found for info
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by dougwalkabout @ 09/25/20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetIn terms of safety, traditional Lithium Ion batteries (sometimes called LiPo, Lithium-Cobalt or LiCo) may not be suitable to store in a car. These batteries can go into thermal runaway at about 140 deg F, which the t
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by Bingley @ 09/24/20 10:48 PM

Ray, I assume you have read Chaos' note about the two types of lithium ion batteries -- one type catches fire at a temperature typical for your car trunk during summer in Florida, and the other catches fire only upon reaching a very high temperature.
The Survival Forum
I misunderstood the topic title until I read further. But for amusement, I note the following: A WWII Propaganda Campaign Popularized the Myth That Carrots Help You See in the Dark
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: I'd like to improve my night vision capabilities by LesSnyder @ 09/24/20 01:43 AM

Mr. Coyote... thank you for your reply... that is exactly the type of response I was looking for...Les
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Radiooddity DB25 shortwave transceiver by Blast @ 09/23/20 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: haertigFWIW, this cable worked for me with the Baofeng UV-5R, CHIRP software, running on Linux: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZ1PBYT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 If you use CHIRP, newer versions
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by RayW @ 09/23/20 11:07 PM

I have a couple of the Noco jump packs. No affiliation, just a happy customer. In the car I have one of the small ones that will fit in the glove box, it is good for a small car. Also have the one that is the size of a shoe box in the truck, it has a
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Globe Knot Bracelet by TonyE @ 09/23/20 07:41 PM

Globe Knot Bracelet Globe Knot Bracelet Tutorial
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Overhand Knot Lanyard by TonyE @ 09/23/20 07:40 PM

Thank you both. World Knot Tying Day is in honor of Clifford Ashley (Ashley Book of Knots)
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by AKSAR @ 09/23/20 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: TeslinhikerSpeaking from personal experience and what I have also seen firsthand, those with vehicles with bigger engines (V8) will find that in very cold climates, these jump packs will not cold start these engines with any sur
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by Famdoc @ 09/23/20 05:59 PM

FWIW, the Wirecutter recommends the Weego line of portable jump chargers: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-portable-jump-starter/#the-competition What catches my eye about this line of chargers is the genius bass-ackwards design of th
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: I'd like to improve my night vision capabilities by wileycoyote @ 09/23/20 04:26 PM

having played with numerous devices, always looking for an acceptable inexpensive alternative, eventually i finally gave in and purchased a new ITT PVS-14/7 Pinnacle from a trustworthy dealer. 30-plus years of looking thru NVDs, even today the PVS14
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by Teslinhiker @ 09/23/20 03:37 PM

Speaking from personal experience and what I have also seen firsthand, those with vehicles with bigger engines (V8) will find that in very cold climates, these jump packs will not cold start these engines with any sure reliability. This means a boost
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts I'd like to improve my night vision capabilities by LesSnyder @ 09/23/20 02:04 PM

my neighborhood is an older part of the city, 1950s Florida construction, with streets lined with large trees that block a lot of the street lighting...I'd like to improve my night vision capability... while not that worried about visible white ligh
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Overhand Knot Lanyard by Phaedrus @ 09/22/20 06:31 PM

Wow! I like it. Didn't know there was a world knot tying day!
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Everyday mask carry? by hikermor @ 09/22/20 06:09 PM

At least one in my right cargo pocket - usually another in the vehicle.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Radiooddity DB25 shortwave transceiver by haertig @ 09/22/20 04:30 PM

FWIW, this cable worked for me with the Baofeng UV-5R, CHIRP software, running on Linux: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZ1PBYT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 When I bough it in Feb 2020, it was $7.50. Now Amazon shows
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Radiooddity DB25 shortwave transceiver by haertig @ 09/22/20 04:09 PM

My guess is the problem with my particular Baofeng relates to quality control. Unfortunately, you just don't get much of that with a $22 product. I possibly could have obtained a different Baofeng and been pleased as punch with it. I'll never know
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by hikermor @ 09/22/20 03:39 PM

My thanks to you all. this is a most informative thread; I am wrestling with many of the same issues.....
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Radiooddity DB25 shortwave transceiver by chaosmagnet @ 09/22/20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: haertigThe deal breakers for me were two: (1) It just couldn't receive or transmit very well. And (2) Even on max volume, the thing can be difficult to hear. These are common criticisms that tend to go together, but I haven't
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by chaosmagnet @ 09/22/20 02:21 PM

I'd like to take a moment to compare what I call a full-size jumpstarter to the smaller ones that seem so popular. The one I have in my car has the following manufacturer specs: 12 VDC400 cold cranking Amps1000 peak Amps18 Ah capacity"Starts c
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Everyday mask carry? by M_a_x @ 09/22/20 01:51 PM

I use bandanas. I carry a couple of spares. The one for actual wearing goes in a pocket. The bandana has a slight disadvantage. As I also wear Akubras the cashiers sometimes are not sure whether they should ask for money or just hand it over .
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by chaosmagnet @ 09/22/20 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BingleyWhen I'm ready to make a purchase I'll check back with the hive mind. I know how much fun vicarious shopping is for people who prepare... I love spending your money .
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Overhand Knot Lanyard by Blast @ 09/22/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyEOverhand Knot Lanyard To celebrate World Knot Tying Day 2020, I made this: Lanyard Tutorial So THAT'S how it's done! Thank you, I really appreciate that tutorial. -Blast
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Radiooddity DB25 shortwave transceiver by Blast @ 09/22/20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig "RT Systems" makes good cables and programming software. BUT, their cables are proprietary, they intentionally mess with the innards to incorrectly identify the chip inside. This is to force you to buy THEIR
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 316 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
brenaline, keril, MarcusPetz, CBlackRaven, TnSweetie
5322 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Two Strand Stopper Knot
by TonyE
Knife sharpening
by Bingley
12:24 PM
Mistakes I have seem...
by Phaedrus
03:24 AM
More power sources!
by RayW
09/25/20 10:39 PM
Radiooddity DB25 shortwave transceiver
by Tyber
09/25/20 03:56 PM
'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail
by dougwalkabout
09/25/20 03:18 PM
I'd like to improve my night vision capabilities
by Michael2
09/24/20 04:54 PM
Globe Knot Bracelet
by TonyE
09/23/20 07:41 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.