Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure by Montanero @ 10/17/17 08:19 PM

Basic skills are more essential than ever, exactly because too many people are relying on technologies and other people. Knowledge and skills are the most essential things in your survival kit.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure by hikermor @ 10/17/17 07:22 PM

I must say I am not impressed by the manufacturer's response cited by the OP. I was venturing into the wild well before PLBs came about, and so far I have cheated death -usually by preparing carefully and exercising good (well, good enough, anyway)
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure by Montanero @ 10/17/17 06:00 PM

I carried the old, original inReach for a while as well. I never had any problems. They were networked, so I could track all of them from mine. It was a nice feature.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure by Russ @ 10/17/17 05:20 PM

As I understand the issue was with the DeLorme InReach and the current model is the Garmin InReach SE & Explorer significant changes.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure by Doug_Ritter @ 10/17/17 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetNow I am absolutely sure that I will not purchase this device. Note that this references the 2 generations older devices. The current inReach made by Garmin is a significantly different device and does not have th
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure by Montanero @ 10/17/17 04:46 PM

If all you are looking for is an emergency beacon (read PLB), then the inReach is not a good option. The inReach allows for 2 way communication which is not based on a cell network. It also allows for near real time tracking of the person. In addi
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure by hikermor @ 10/17/17 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetNow I am absolutely sure that I will not purchase this device. Agreed. Perhaps the money that would have been spent on such a device could be better utilized in other emergency items?
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: California Burning by LesSnyder @ 10/17/17 02:47 AM

are weather alert radios using SAME specific locale type warnings (162mHz range)able to be received in the mountainous regions?, and do counties declare emergency evacuations over reverse 911 calls on land line phone systems? it is hard to believe t
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Inside a nuclear bunker built from 42 buses by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 10/17/17 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetI misspent some of my youth in the mining industry and I'm quite comfortable underground...but the pictures from that article were not excessively comforting. I'll take my chances on the surface. Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Inside a nuclear bunker built from 42 buses by chaosmagnet @ 10/17/17 02:08 AM

I misspent some of my youth in the mining industry and I'm quite comfortable underground...but the pictures from that article were not excessively comforting.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure by chaosmagnet @ 10/17/17 02:03 AM

Now I am absolutely sure that I will not purchase this device.
Jump to new posts Re: California Burning by Pete @ 10/16/17 08:59 PM

yes, as Geezer in Chief said ... really a "worst-case set of circumstances". A fire that was moving very fast, sweeping through hills and valleys, burning homes in the middle of the night, and taking down cell phone towers quickly. The au
Jump to new posts Re: California Burning by hikermor @ 10/16/17 08:05 PM

How about for answer to your question, "Both of the above"? A lot of problems come your way with increasing age (just ask me how I know) and lack of mobility and a lack of general awareness are right up there as common occurrences. In man
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure by Montanero @ 10/16/17 07:19 PM

Yes, thanks. I carry an inReach on a regular basis. I have had no unintentional emergency calls, but I will be more careful in how I carry mine.
Jump to new posts Re: California Burning by LesSnyder @ 10/16/17 06:34 PM

re: old people trapped...is this a transportation problem where they may not drive, or one of awareness of the threat?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Promising Snake Bite Therapy by hikermor @ 10/16/17 06:32 PM

The"report" leaves one wondering what sort of treatment was rendered before he reached the hospital. with good care, there well might have been a different outcome.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delorme inReach Lock Failure by Doug_Ritter @ 10/16/17 05:38 PM

Thanks for posting that!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Delorme inReach Lock Failure by jshannon @ 10/16/17 04:36 PM

Forgive me if this has been mentioned. I could not find it in a search. There are reports of lock failure of some inReach units leading to at least one SAR response. Early Report http://packrafting.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5732 Roman Dia
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Promising Snake Bite Therapy by haertig @ 10/16/17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorHow many snake bite fatalities do we incur in the US annually? We just had one about 15 miles from my house. A young, healthy and physically fit man. A tri-athlete. Rattlesnake. He died within hours. This is a very,
Jump to new posts Re: California Burning by Pete @ 10/16/17 03:23 PM

these problems with fire risks will get a lot of discussion in my local community. we emerged unscathed - thank heaven. but we most certainly have a prevalent fire hazard, and there is no easy way to mitigate it. what is particularly a problem -
Around The Campfire
42 buried buses - that's more like an underground shopping mall.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Promising Snake Bite Therapy by hikermor @ 10/16/17 02:16 PM

A new treatment technique for any problem is always welcome, but this one is a long way from market and practical use. It will be worthwhile to watch its development. How many snake bite fatalities do we incur in the US annually? About a dozen, I b
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Promising Snake Bite Therapy by haertig @ 10/16/17 05:14 AM

That's an interesting article. I had to read the article twice to get myself past what at first appeared to be contradictions. One moment they are talking about snake venom causing excessive bleeding, and the next minute they are talking about miti
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Promising Snake Bite Therapy by Doug_Ritter @ 10/16/17 01:05 AM

http://www.futurity.org/iron-carbon-monoxide-snake-venom-1571692/
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Inside a nuclear bunker built from 42 buses by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 10/15/17 10:48 PM

For the sake of my sanity, I will remain on the surface. Jeanette Isabelle
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Doug_Ritter, hikermor), 279 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
DIYELECTROAL, rondha, burth, sgt253, PureTech
5222 Registered Users
Newest Posts
ETS Dream
by haertig
23 minutes 53 seconds ago
Weather radio
by Ratch
Today at 01:48 AM
Sound Advice For Survival Situations
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:48 PM
California Burning
by Pete
Yesterday at 05:03 AM
Inside a nuclear bunker built from 42 buses
by UTAlumnus
Yesterday at 03:04 AM
Delorme inReach Lock Failure
by Russ
10/17/17 09:14 PM
Promising Snake Bite Therapy
by hikermor
10/16/17 06:32 PM
Ski glove snot wipe
by dougwalkabout
10/15/17 03:12 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.