Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by AKSAR @ 08/15/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetAKSAR — Could the winch mission have made sense in this case from a training perspective? Especially since the helo was onsite due to the search? Possibly. That's how the AF and ANG rescue teams (PJs, Pavehawks, and
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by hikermor @ 08/15/18 02:10 PM

I am skeptical about the need for winch use in this case, but I believe AKSAR has nailed an important consideration - justifying the capability. This applies to more than just helos and their winches. It is also a consideration for rescue organizat
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by chaosmagnet @ 08/15/18 01:00 PM

AKSAR — Could the winch mission have made sense in this case from a training perspective? Especially since the helo was onsite due to the search?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by bsmith @ 08/15/18 12:58 PM

this issue has been around since we began using helicopters for SAR. they certainly have a time and place. i sometimes think they are a solution looking for a problem. my favorite story is here: Third time is the charm
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by Phaedrus @ 08/15/18 06:50 AM

A fascinating and enlightening thread!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by haertig @ 08/15/18 05:28 AM

Many years ago I worked on a volunteer ambulance. Us volunteers didn't get paid, we did it for free. However, we bought a small building to house two ambulances in, that also had a central living area for our crews. We slept on the floors in our s
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by AKSAR @ 08/15/18 05:24 AM

Lots of issues here, some of which are more complex than they might first appear. First off, the obligatory disclaimers that none of us were there, most of us are probably not familiar with that terrain or conditions on the ground, and press account
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by hikermor @ 08/15/18 03:50 AM

I agree totally with Teslinhiker on the subject of paying. In most operations, you are working with volunteers - no cost. If you start charging, there are all sorts of unintended consequences. Think about this. Does your fire department charge whe
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by Teslinhiker @ 08/15/18 12:48 AM

Always the age old question of "who pays?" It is often to say that the lost people should pay. However that is the convenient and easy answer. This question comes up frequently here on this forum and it is position of many SAR teams and as
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by Montanero @ 08/15/18 12:05 AM

Cranking the helicopter costs more than that.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by KenK @ 08/14/18 11:07 PM

Who pays for the cost of these rescues?? If folks get hurt and need rescue I understand it, but these folks appear to just be unprepared and thus lost. A Garmin GPSMAP 64st with U.S. topo maps costs only $260 online and can easily help them get unl
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by bsmith @ 08/14/18 06:01 PM

if you'd like to see a short video from the chopper of the lost hiker being hoisted out, go here: Ventura County Air Unit
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Chef knives by hikermor @ 08/14/18 01:24 PM

Yes, enough of these cutting remarks...
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts A SAR Travestry by hikermor @ 08/14/18 01:23 PM

https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/local/...line/981922002/ A local hiker is "lost," whips out his cell phone, and is heloed out. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, his friend goes searching for him, and gets lost as well. So many things wrong
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Chef knives by dougwalkabout @ 08/14/18 03:26 AM

As an epilogue, I found these delightful Julia Child references and had to share. It's endless fun to burrow through the wormholes in the Internet! Hope you enjoy them. "Julia Child had a pet peeve: kitchen knives. They were never sharp enough.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by TeacherRO @ 08/13/18 11:22 PM

Also, if you are bugging out by car, you kit can be fairly big and include sunscreen, tampons, etc.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Monthly reminder - tech by TeacherRO @ 08/13/18 11:19 PM

Its time for your mid-month reminder -- Check your tech 1. charge 2. update 3. backup 4. test
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Choose One World To Live In by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 08/13/18 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: pforemanStar Wars sort of was the same way... Let's see, light saber, check. Flowing robes, check. Anything else - nope. Ready to go! It would have made some sense for Luke in the original to at least had some sort of water
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Choose One World To Live In by Russ @ 08/13/18 10:35 PM

Considering it’s some of the best SF in recent times, I’m surprised no one has mentioned ”The Expanse”... or is it that maybe no one wants to live in that universe...
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Choose One World To Live In by pforeman @ 08/13/18 09:51 PM

As a side note to living in 'Star Trek', any of the versions, it always surprised me that the only tools they usually had were the phaser and communicator and maybe someone had a tri-corder for data/analysis. McCoy, if he was along, would have the a
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Choose One World To Live In by pforeman @ 08/13/18 09:42 PM

I'll play! I think I would go for Star Trek, the original... Blue shirt for me as science/medical would be fascinating (sorry)! Paul -
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Choose One World To Live In by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 08/13/18 03:52 PM

I would add Emerald City, as depicted in Lost in Oz, to the list. Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Chef knives by hikermor @ 08/12/18 09:31 PM

Thank you very much. There is a lot of good (sharp?) stuff in that article....
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Chef knives by dougwalkabout @ 08/12/18 07:52 PM

I came across this excellent and entertaining piece on the dark art of knife sharpening. This guy actually talks sense! (Except regarding scissors -- pfft! And I have yet to see a pull-through sharpener worth its weight in horse...radish.) A lot of
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Chef knives by dougwalkabout @ 08/12/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ Seems that 20º per side for a Henckels, Wusthof, et al is correct, thinner and you risk dealing with a rolled edge. Japanese blade on the other hand are good for 15º and less, but be gentle. Yes, that's right in my exp
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (M_a_x, williamlatham, Jeanette_Isabelle), 197 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EHoward, MeganPAST, martinw, Birdman1776, tskinner
5257 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Memory of Gerry Largay ... Please Invest in a PLB!
by AKSAR
11:46 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Roarmeister
07:14 PM
Choose One World To Live In
by quick_joey_small
06:59 AM
the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking
by TeacherRO
08/15/18 10:54 PM
Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies...
by TeacherRO
08/15/18 10:52 PM
A SAR Travestry
by hikermor
08/15/18 08:25 PM
Chef knives
by hikermor
08/14/18 01:24 PM
Bug Out First Aid Kit
by TeacherRO
08/13/18 11:22 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.