Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: HIkers swept away in Grand Canyon by hikermor @ 04/21/17 04:26 PM

Interesting that they apparently are employing drones, in addition to the drone that Merrell is offering to provide. This is good. A few months ago, there was a blanket prohibition within the NPS on use of any drones for any purpose, until appropri
Around The Campfire
CPM-3V is a great steel, very tough, but look at the price point compared to an SRK in the other two steels. Depending on where you shop, you can buy three SRK's in SK5 or two in VG-1 San Mai III for the price of one in 3V. That said, I have a fe
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: HIkers swept away in Grand Canyon by Russ @ 04/21/17 02:00 PM

Did a quick search and most article are dated April 19th. The latest I found is from Newsmax dated today. Jackson Standefer, Lou-Ann Merrell Swept Away in Canyon. Earlier articles spoke of Merrell Boot donating equipment -- Merrell Boot offer
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? by hikermor @ 04/21/17 01:51 PM

I'm bugging out with you! Should I bring sugar?
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? by hikermor @ 04/21/17 01:44 PM

Very honestly, I don't have the foggiest idea,but I am willing to bet that it basically doesn't make any difference, especially for such a broad use category as "survival." I am always amused at the endless threads on internet forums about
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk? by quick_joey_small @ 04/21/17 10:33 AM

One of the knives in Doug's recommended list is the cold steel srk: Cold Steel currently sell SRKs in three different steels: sk5 VG1 3v Which would people say is the best one for survival use? qjs
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? by quick_joey_small @ 04/21/17 06:06 AM

grains and pulses sound the way to go to be foolproof. soya mince meals are light, compact, cheap and protein rich. you need water to make them, but if you can't get that you are dead anyway. my bug out location however will have nothing but tea an
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? by hikermor @ 04/20/17 04:32 PM

"The quality of black and green tea tends to improve. When stored at subzero temperatures, tea leaves become covered with tiny cracks. This makes tea more aromatic and delicious. Permafrost also benefits vodka because various chemical substances
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? by Roarmeister @ 04/19/17 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_smallM a x wrote: > The solution would be... burying deeper so ground is only frozen near the top? How deep would one have to go to avoid freezing? qjs Depends where you live. Where I live on the Canadian pra
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by bacpacjac @ 04/19/17 12:52 PM

Nice list! I love the dollar store and second-hand stores. So many budget-friendly treasures to fill a pack, medicine cabinet, pantry, tool shed...
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: HIkers swept away in Grand Canyon by Phaedrus @ 04/19/17 05:50 AM

Hoping for a good outcome!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by EMPnotImplyNuclear @ 04/18/17 11:23 PM

*today at the dollartree, just some highlights Gear 52.41 oz Stainless-Steel Dog Bowls, 1.5...liter 6 inch combination sharpening stone ~3inch camping knife , serrated lock back , dull/thick but sharpening stone takes care of that and serrations
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: tinned foots burst when they freeze? by EMPnotImplyNuclear @ 04/18/17 10:01 PM

Hi, if you keep it dry, the usual 1-2 year, pasta/noodles/ramen, brown rice , flour , poptarts... 5+30+years most dry grains, white rice, most beans... 5+30+years most dry grains, white rice, most beans, sugar, ... As for tins , I imagine the tall
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: HIkers swept away in Grand Canyon by TeacherRO @ 04/18/17 05:14 PM

good to see the use of a rescue beacon / PLB
The Survival Forum
Originally Posted By: hikermorIf one has three versatile knots down cold... Good point. You can often substitute knots as well. Say, you have forgotten how to tie that hitch you used to love so much to attach your rope to a tree. Nothing wrong wit
The Survival Forum
Originally Posted By: haertig There's a whole lot of other useful knots, but you limited it to three! Didn't even get into the hitches or stopper knots - maybe you should expand your rules to "five or six knots". Definitely! There are
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: HIkers swept away in Grand Canyon by Russ @ 04/18/17 12:37 PM

That is awful. Quote:... searchers have found both their backpacks and their belongings inside, which the family has interpreted with mixed feelings. On the one hand, he said, it looks as if they were able to get their backpacks off. ... Which mea
The Survival Forum
square, surgeon's, bowline
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts HIkers swept away in Grand Canyon by hikermor @ 04/18/17 12:30 AM

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/experie...teen/ar-BBzWOWM This is really awful news. There is still hope....
The Survival Forum
Joining two ropes together: --- The Zeppelin Bend End loop: --- The Anglers Loop Adjustable loop: --- The Tautline Hitch. This is certainly not the best sliding loop available, but you said I had to be able to tie it behind my back, with my eyes c
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots? by clearwater @ 04/17/17 07:09 PM

Overhand knot (and permutations._ On a bight, it is quick, can be done one handed, lays flat used in webbing, and is stronger than a figure eight knot (harder to untie after loading tho) Tie twice (correctly) and have a square knot Use in
The Survival Forum
The three knots you named are good. A knot rarely mentioned but very useful is the Prusik.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts A Knotty problem -What are the most useful knots? by hikermor @ 04/17/17 04:38 PM

Thee are certainly plenty of them out there. But what would you consider the most useful, and therefore the ones you need to know cold, that you can tie behind your back, eyes closed, with rain pouring from the skies... Maximum of three, not counti
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 270 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
RealGreenLighting, JimKayle, conniegriggs61, Constantine, affectedly
5190 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Water from thin air
by hikermor
Yesterday at 01:51 PM
goTenna = bad idea?
by M_a_x
Yesterday at 07:45 AM
Oldest commercially published "survival" book??
by WesleyH
Yesterday at 03:50 AM
Snowshoers Lost Since Christmas
by WesleyH
Yesterday at 03:20 AM
PSAR
by bacpacjac
04/22/17 02:00 PM
Which is the best steel for a cold steel srk?
by quick_joey_small
04/22/17 06:39 AM
HIkers swept away in Grand Canyon
by hikermor
04/22/17 12:19 AM
tinned foots burst when they freeze?
by quick_joey_small
04/21/17 06:28 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.