Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Nice but- Why not go with a camping hammock and a down bag?
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: $600 budget for the outdoors by willpo @ 06/24/19 10:21 PM

I'd tell him to look on yt for "homemade wanderlust", 'followbigfoot", "DarwinonthetraiL" and "flatbrokeoutside' (especially the latter) and he'll be much more knowledgable as a consumer. I'd either get used gear thru
The Survival Forum
without a fire, sleep ok, 20F get thru the night, by exercising or by using the 1/4 lb UCO candle-lantern (beeswax only) includes 1 lb, 50 yds of 2" mesh 6 ft wide gillnet-hammock, the lead line replaced with paracord. I can always tie rocks to
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Mr.Buddy Heater in Truck Cap? by Russ @ 06/24/19 09:58 PM

I suppose it depends on how well you ventilate. If you can give the propane heater air from outside the cap you should be fine. There’s a YouTube on using a similar propane heater while camping in a tent which might be useful — Carbon Monoxide Test
The Survival Forum
I can flat tell you that if you're not on the level of Jerry miculek, no handgun is going to amount to a hoot vs a charging bear. You'l have to brain him. Give me a Remington 748 autorififle in 308 and lots 0f milsurp practice ammo, and Nosler Partit
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Tool of Choice by willpo @ 06/24/19 09:32 PM

I favor an old hickory paring knife $6 at wally's. I can get a skinning/butchering edge back on it in 20 seconds, if I havent hit a bone. If I have hit a bone, it might take a full minute. ;-)
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Walked across the country - just because... by willpo @ 06/24/19 09:25 PM

210 days
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Mr.Buddy Heater in Truck Cap? by LoneWolf @ 06/24/19 09:25 PM

Howdy All, Haven't posted in a while, still lurk from time to time. I am planning on putting a truck cap on my Tacoma to camp in. I have a Mr. Buddy Heater that I am thinking about using inside of said top this fall during the hunting season. Has
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Walked across the country - just because... by willpo @ 06/24/19 09:25 PM

210 days
Around The Campfire

210 days times 50 km per day is 1050 km, not 9000. So he he didn't average 50km per day, but about 45 per day, which is still a lot, depending upon terrain, weather, how much of load one is carrying, size and weight of the man.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. by willpo @ 06/24/19 09:20 PM

Fowler had no idea what was what. If he hadn't had 70 lbs on carleigh, she'd have beaten him within 2 months. He had 80 days of staying power on her, right there, and caught 60 fish, to her 6 fish. he wasted all sorts of time and energy, on a shelte
Around The Campfire
Offtopic post deleted. chaosmagnet
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Easy way to start a fire by willpo @ 06/24/19 09:08 PM

Inappropriate language deleted. chaosmagnet
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Outdoorsman Recounts Grizzly Attack by Phaedrus @ 06/24/19 07:57 PM

Wow! Pretty scary! I'm glad both man and bear survived the encounter.
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Do you carry water every day? by Roarmeister @ 06/24/19 06:20 PM

In my car I carry about 4-5 litres in bottled water in various cubby holes and somewhat less in the winter time. I tend to not keep water for too long in mid-winter as it becomes ice real quick. I often drink water to and from my journey to work an
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Outdoorsman Recounts Grizzly Attack by chaosmagnet @ 06/24/19 03:19 PM

Wow. Scary. Sounds like he handled it exactly right once he became aware of the bears.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Outdoorsman Recounts Grizzly Attack by dougwalkabout @ 06/24/19 01:00 PM

From an experienced and passionate outdoorsman: a remarkable and honest account of an attack by a grizzly sow, and the aftermath. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c...eorge-1.5180802
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Secret Life of a Search and Rescue Volunteer by UncleGoo @ 06/22/19 11:49 PM

"A tremendous service was done for my family by strangers. Now it is my turn. I will do for others what had been done for us." This little bit of the article hit home for me--what makes us human.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 by chaosmagnet @ 06/22/19 12:42 PM

Excellent share, Famdoc! Would you be so good as to post this again as its own thread in The Survival Forum? chaosmagnet
Around The Campfire
Maybe this should go somewhere else, but I can't quickly find another thread. This is a free ebook/download on Survival and Austere Medicine: https://1776patriotusa.com/survival-austere-medicine/ I quibble about the assertion (no reference given) t
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Secret Life of a Search and Rescue Volunteer by hikermor @ 06/21/19 07:09 PM

His story rings true to form, but it is not the entirety of the SAR experience. there is a hugey positive side as well - the rush and glow when you know your presence has undoubtedly saved lives. Since the author has only been at SAR or a few year
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Secret Life of a Search and Rescue Volunteer by chaosmagnet @ 06/21/19 05:01 PM

Sad story. Thanks for sharing it.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Secret Life of a Search and Rescue Volunteer by Russ @ 06/21/19 03:43 PM

I was offered this article to read by my browser (Firefox) and thought it worthy to share here. Secret Life of a Search and Rescue Volunteer
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Do you carry water every day? by M_a_x @ 06/21/19 02:18 PM

Minimum is a 1 l canteen in my backpack. On motorcycle tours it usually is a 3 l bladder in my backpack (so I can drink while riding). On hot days it can be up to 5 l extra in canteens or Nalgene wide neck bottles.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Picacho Peak fatality by Phaedrus @ 06/21/19 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Herman30289 pounds = 131kg. Oh my, explains a lot. Originally Posted By: hikermorhttps://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc...ing/1289001001/ According to the autopsy, the sixteen year old victim weighed 289 pounds. Doubtless
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 224 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mollerstrom, Louis, tomuchgear, salomoncrosk, Claire
5284 Registered Users
Newest Posts
"survival colors"
by Russ
Yesterday at 10:21 PM
Mr.Buddy Heater in Truck Cap?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 09:35 PM
Picacho Peak fatality
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 02:50 AM
Free ebook/download: Survival and Austere Medicine
by wileycoyote
06/25/19 03:22 PM
Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30
by chaosmagnet
06/25/19 10:39 AM
Regarding emergent communications
by hikermor
06/25/19 03:33 AM
2.5 lb shelter/sleep system,30F-110F, office wear
by hikermor
06/25/19 03:13 AM
Walked across the country - just because...
by hikermor
06/24/19 11:30 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.