Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) by Montanero @ 12/08/17 02:15 AM

Good to know you are OK. Preparing does pay.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Getting found: reflectivity & lights by AKSAR @ 12/08/17 12:23 AM

Tirec is spot on!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) by AKSAR @ 12/08/17 12:21 AM

Glad to hear you and family are OK, and your home survived. The news from California has been scary and tragic of late.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Getting found: reflectivity & lights by hikermor @ 12/08/17 12:19 AM

I have spent a lot of time searching for victims wearing faded blue jeans, tan T shirts, and brown ball caps. They are practically invisible in brush and timber, especially if immobile. One of the clothing items I ever had was a down jacket that wa
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Getting found: reflectivity & lights by KenK @ 12/07/17 11:02 PM

The first time I became interested in this whole surviving in the outdoors thing was when I talked with a search & rescue crew that was running a booth at the local county fair. His recommendations were almost dead nuts what Doug Ritter's Surviva
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) by Phaedrus @ 12/07/17 10:53 PM

Wow! I'm glad you emerged unscathed! The fire situation in California is quite scary right now.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) by hikermor @ 12/07/17 10:44 PM

It has not been a quiet week if you were bothered by the Thomas Fire. Monday evening we learned of a fire burning 20 miles away. By midnight the flames had reached the hill above us and it was time to leave. We have been in our home for twenty-sev
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Getting found: reflectivity & lights by Tirec @ 12/07/17 09:13 PM

I used to be in the Civil Air Patrol. A large piece of blaze (hunter) orange fabric that can be tied up in a tree or worn on a pack is GREAT for being spotted. Having a blaze orange poncho or reversible jacket/hat is also great. A signal mirror (g
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: "Climbing is Dangerous" by Pete @ 12/07/17 05:27 AM

"Another search reveals the fictional character is Count Helmut Ovden -- so, yes, European nobility, although not a real one, but one from a writer's imagination." Thank you. I had no idea that Count Helmut was fictional. OTOH - a Hemming
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency by Pete @ 12/07/17 05:24 AM

They have really suffered. The impact on PR will probably last for years.
The Survival Forum
That's pretty remarkable! An extra hour could mean the difference between a speedy recovery and a ghastly convalescence.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Getting found: reflectivity & lights by chaosmagnet @ 12/06/17 02:11 AM

I'm a big fan of strobes for when one needs to be found, both dedicated and strobe modes on EDC flashlights.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Getting found: reflectivity & lights by Tjin @ 12/05/17 08:26 PM

I have it on most of my gear, not only to find it back, but also to identify it's mine. Some gear are just too common...
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Getting found: reflectivity & lights by Doug_Ritter @ 12/05/17 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO If you want to be seen or found, I like some reflective tape or stickers on your gear. I've also added a tiny strobe to my wilderness kit ( actually just a flasher from a dog collar.) Just to be clear, what you want
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts rug could buy time between rattlesnake bite, anti by Doug_Ritter @ 12/05/17 08:09 PM

http://www.azfamily.com/story/36997624/u...venom-treatment
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Hiking Sticks: Are You well-staffed? by TeacherRO @ 12/05/17 07:40 PM

Walking sticks are a great addition to Winter walking and hiking!
The Survival Forum
Currently trying to get my wife to carry a tiny pack on hikes...
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... by TeacherRO @ 12/05/17 07:39 PM

Start with a jacket and water bottle in your commuting bag.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: My Checklist by TeacherRO @ 12/05/17 07:39 PM

An inventory list is nice too - as I just discovered I have four nearly identical tents ( sales, you know)
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency by TeacherRO @ 12/05/17 07:38 PM

Amazed that PR is still without many infrastructure repairs -- power clean water, jobs.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Getting found: reflectivity & lights by TeacherRO @ 12/05/17 07:36 PM

If you want to be seen or found, I like some reflective tape or stickers on your gear. I've also added a tiny strobe to my wilderness kit ( actually just a flasher from a dog collar.)
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by TeacherRO @ 12/05/17 07:35 PM

I think a container is more important. Then you can choose when to fill it for the long bus ride home. An empty liter water bottle or two in each of my cars
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts A finnish blogger on finnish way of hiking. by Herman30 @ 12/04/17 11:42 AM

https://scricfinia.wordpress.com/ Quote:Hello, world! I have written about hiking in Finland for 17 years for my living. 13 books and over thousand pages of magazine articles, in Finnish. Now I thought Id like to share my thoughts, and try to creat
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: "Climbing is Dangerous" by Tjin @ 12/04/17 08:17 AM

That is just on the label, the booklet has a lot more warning signs!Some brands do have massive booklets that are sometimes heavier than the actual item you have bought.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (haertig), 236 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Cowherd35, pecenco, jacklii, DIYELECTROAL, plazacutlery
5226 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Getting found: reflectivity & lights
by Herman30
08:02 AM
Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency
by M_a_x
12/09/17 09:09 PM
The Cajun Navy
by hikermor
12/09/17 05:06 PM
How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps)
by hikermor
12/09/17 04:47 PM
rug could buy time between rattlesnake bite, anti
by Treeseeker
12/09/17 08:32 AM
"Climbing is Dangerous"
by Pete
12/07/17 05:27 AM
Hiking Sticks: Are You well-staffed?
by TeacherRO
12/05/17 07:40 PM
'and here is a pack for you' - prepping for others
by TeacherRO
12/05/17 07:40 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.