Didn't see anything for power generation on your list, unless that was implied by your remark about filling your gas cans (if it was, just ignore the rest smile ).

My parents went through Rita, and the nightmare for them was the heat and humidity without power (that, and the loss of their fish without power). Hurricanes are tropical systems driven by sweltering heat and humidity, and southeast Texas isn't a fun place in the summer to begin with. wink Heat can kill.

Depending on your power needs, there are a number of options. I'm up in Iowa, but I made good use this winter (when an ice storm took out or power for 24 hours) of one of those DC inverters that you hook into a car's cigarette lighter slot. They cost almost nothing, and having a couple hundred watts at your disposal can turn a miserable situation into an enjoyable one. You could run an oscillating fan, a couple CFL light bulbs (or even more diode bulbs), and a laptop for entertainment.

If you want more power, you could invest in a diesel generator. They're pricey, but if you live in Hurricane Central, it might not be a bad idea.

If you have a generator, you might want to put "testing it" on your HurCon 5 list.