Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9593 - 09/29/02 01:43 PM Pocket Survival Cards
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I was carrying the SAS Survival Flickbook around town, but even that feels heavy now. I saw Pocket Survival Cards by Brunton advertized in the latest Cutlery Shoppe catalog. What do you folks think of them? If you'd recommend other survival cards or another guide sheet, feel free to do so.

#9594 - 09/29/02 08:44 PM Re: Pocket Survival Cards
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a set of the cards. Most of the information is either wrong or redundant. It will tell you to make a solar still, give CPR instructions that are no longer the satndard repititions, and so forth. <br><br>I too am interested in a set cards to carry in my wallet and psk. I would think something with information I were likely to forget would be the most usefull ie pressure point locations, cpr, fishing knots.<br><br>The most useful I have found thus far is the SAS mini book. It is complete with all of the information of the big nook, yet it fits ina pocket. I carry one in my urban pack along with Eric Weis's Wilderness First Aid Book.

#9595 - 09/29/02 10:09 PM Re: Pocket Survival Cards
Anonymous
Unregistered

If none can be found commercially then you might make your own. I think that one of the forum has posted a set of PSK instructions that can be downloaded for a decent template of about the right size and you could laminate them when you have them printed. <br><br>If you do this and it is significantly different from the PSK instructions then it would be great if you posted them here for the rest of us. <br><br>If you are looking for topics to include I would think that the following would be helpful (presuming that this is for use without the PSK so you have to improvise everything.)<br><br>Medical:<br>CPR instructions<br>Response to major bleeding<br>Treatment of broken bones and illustrations or descriptions of splinting technique and improvised splinting material<br>Average pulse and BP for pediatric, adult, geriatric as palpated<br><br>Fire:<br>Bow and hand-drill details and pointers on wood types and sources - dry punk can be found under the fallen log on a rainy day etc.<br>9 volt and steel wool - useful in an urban setting<br>Magnifying glass and reflecting concentrator use<br><br>Shelter<br>Snow cave<br>debris hut<br>sand cave<br>the value of shade in heat<br>instructions on when to move in various climates - still in the day in a desert still in the night in a forest or artic - etc<br><br>Water:<br>Solar still<br>seep<br>tracking animals and birds<br>making an improvised container for boiling water<br><br>Food:<br>tracking<br>trapping<br>primitive sling use<br>common edible plants in expected environ.<br><br>orienteering<br>Solar<br>water<br>celestial<br><br>Signalling<br>three of anything is emergency signal<br>basic layouts of international distress codes<br>improvised reflectors (mirror replacement) Fractured quartz perhaps Mica perhaps Any ideas?<br><br><br>STOP acronym and meaining<br><br>Positive afirmation stuff (this may be religious texts or stories of successful survival or a through upbraiding for having found yourself without any gear and trying to survive)<br><br>Hazards list and priorities<br>Shelter - hypothermia - hyperthermia<br>Water - dehydration - infection / toxicity<br>Predators<br>Plants<br>

#9596 - 09/30/02 06:01 AM Re: Pocket Survival Cards
Anonymous
Unregistered

personally i like the compass companion set <br><br>there are three<br><br>2 credit card size-1 on navigation-1 on survival<br>1 large ish one for a rucksack purely on survival<br><br>

#9597 - 09/30/02 10:38 PM Re: Pocket Survival Cards
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I take it this is something you can buy. Is it called the "Compass Companion Set?"

#9598 - 10/01/02 06:10 AM Re: Pocket Survival Cards
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah the website is something silly like compass-compainion.com and i think the whole set are about £3-£5 not bad as they are very readable and informative!

#9599 - 10/01/02 05:10 PM Re: Pocket Survival Cards
Milestand Offline

A website for the Compass Companion cards is: <br>http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.hall/<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 769 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.