Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#93621 - 05/04/07 01:33 PM Re: What tool would you pick? [Re: Be_Prepared]
OddArne Offline
stranger

My firesteel. Or a lighter that if empty could be used as one.

Edited by OddArne (05/04/07 01:34 PM)

#93623 - 05/04/07 01:44 PM Re: What tool would you pick? [Re: OddArne]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I would go one further and say a good bivy bag.

#93640 - 05/04/07 03:40 PM Re: What tool would you pick? [Re: Blast]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Originally Posted By: Blast
Thinking along those lines, can I change my tool choice to a sonic screwdriver ?

-Blast

Ummmm, sure. It looks cools, and it is only $15 from here:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/8cff/
However, it does not make enough noise to be useful for alerting rescuers. Probably not good for much else. But if you want...

#93645 - 05/04/07 04:40 PM Re: What tool would you pick? [Re: Javelin5]
Javelin5 Offline
Stranger

For all who have posted, Thank You!

Yes, this is a very vague question. Yes, a tool can be anything that one can use. I live in a very small town and our local Postmaster and his spouse lead a group of Girl Scouts. He and I have exchanged tidbits of info concerning backpacking/camping from time to time. The Postmaster and his spouse along with many other local adults (including myself) have had training outings with his troop. The young ladies asorb the training and info like a thirsty sponge. Things taught to them include primitive firebuilding, shelter building, foraging, primitive water purification, signaling, first aid, orientering etc... All in all these young ladies reguardless of their age are quite proficient in their skills.

One day while I was in the Post Office chatting with the Postmaster, a few girls from his troop came in. The eldest girl asked me this very question. I responded,"my gurkha kukri". I asked her what her choice would be. She responded,"My hatchet".

Twice a year the young ladies are taken into the local national forest or wilderness area for a 3 day outing to put their skills to the test. They are allowed only their knife, multi-tool, whistle, one light source, their personal survival kit (which they have put together themselves)and first-aid kit. Of course, many adults acompany them on these outings for safety purposes.

Interesting.......

#93650 - 05/04/07 06:36 PM Re: What tool would you pick? [Re: Javelin5]
kharrell Offline
Typical Survival Victim

In my environment, the biggest risk in a survival sitution would be hypothermia.

If I lost all the gear I carry except one, I would want to make fire so I could stay warm and signal for help.

I would hope I had a good lighter.

#93655 - 05/04/07 07:35 PM Re: What tool would you pick? [Re: Javelin5]
StuToffee Offline

Loc: Stockport, Cheshire, UK
I guess I'll cheat a little & say a Multi-tool (LM Wave?) with a firestarting flint attached to the split ring.

#93663 - 05/04/07 08:54 PM Re: What tool would you pick? [Re: Blast]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Blast
[quote]
Thinking along those lines, can I change my tool choice to a sonic screwdriver ?

-Blast

If you're taking the sonic screwdriver, then why don't you ask for the entire TARDIS. Personally, I'd rather just take one of the doctor's assistants. cool

#93668 - 05/04/07 09:09 PM Re: What tool would you pick? [Re: BrianTexas]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
[quote=BrianTexas: If you're taking the sonic screwdriver, then why don't you ask for the entire TARDIS. Personally, I'd rather just take one of the doctor's assistants. cool [/quote]

Leela!

-Blast, who doesn't see a glass half full or half empty because there are too many dang beautiful women around distracting him...
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#93674 - 05/04/07 10:29 PM Re: What tool would you pick? [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
well, just to stir the pot ...

... the "tool" I would choose (if forced to choose only one) would be a slightly oversize gen-2 goretex parka, knee-length with full hood and drawstrings everywhere ...

... it's practically a shelter in itself when you batten everything down ... it adds to the effectiveness of any clothing you have ... you can add insulation by stuffing in any semi-dry source you come across (grass, reeds, etc.)

... thinking back to my years of solo mountain backpacking, this would be the most critical item for me, hands down

(btw: this is a quite the admission from a total gear nut, knife/axe/multitool accumulator and flashaholic)

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/04/07 10:30 PM)

#93697 - 05/05/07 03:21 AM Re: What tool would you pick? [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Ah, then I want a Nanoman. It's like a Leatherman, but it has a dry-nanite hive built into it, and a controller that can support up to 1024 parts, no more than 3cc's total volume. A two part tool, like a pair of pliers, is two parts; different screwdrivers, manual, are one part each; etc.

For a serious entry, a good dutch oven. You can use that for everything if you have to.

Edited by ironraven (05/05/07 03:24 AM)
Edit Reason: serious entry

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 534 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.