The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#234018 - 10/19/11 10:21 PM Woman rescues trucker from fiery wreck
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
You don't have to be strong or have lots of cool gear or tons of training to save someone's life.

Keenia Williams, 22, witnessed a fiery big rig crash in her rearview mirror on the freeway, pulled over, and even though she was with her 5-year old child, raced back down the freeway to pull the driver to safety. Wow, hats off to her!

She said, "If that was me, I would've wanted someone to stop and save my life."

And that's in contrast to another clown that:
Quote:
...after all rescue crews had gotten to the scene, a man tried to get involved in the rescue efforts "and was being uncooperative" with authorities...

He ended up being arrested. Don't be that clown.

You can read about it here.

#234026 - 10/20/11 01:51 AM Re: Woman rescues trucker from fiery wreck [Re: Arney]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
From another article :

"Leaving her daughter in the back seat, she ran into the flames, skipped over the leaking diesel fuel, and dragged Finerty hundreds of feet to her car.

"She splashed water on Finerty's face until he regained consciousness, then hollered at firefighters who thought the trucker was still trapped in his flaming rig."

Incredible job!

I wonder what the idiot who was arrested thought he was doing???

Sue

#234030 - 10/20/11 02:49 AM Re: Woman rescues trucker from fiery wreck [Re: Arney]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Great story, thanks for posting it.

#234043 - 10/20/11 01:26 PM Re: Woman rescues trucker from fiery wreck [Re: Arney]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
That is a great case for knowing when to help and when the best help you can be is to be out of the way.

She did a great job of helping and even being out of the way. She drug the driver to a safe distance and thus was also out of the way allowing EMS to be in one spot and the fire crew to do there job in another spot.

The guy who was arested could have just been adamant that he be part of helping to put out the fire. and as those of you who have worked in Fire or Rescue know, even the most well meaning "civilain" helping will just get in the way.

#234089 - 10/20/11 09:58 PM Re: Woman rescues trucker from fiery wreck [Re: Tyber]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
The guy who was arested could have just been adamant that he be part of helping to put out the fire.

I have a work colleague like that. He ALWAYS jumps to "help me" instead of doing his job. Then he starts arguing about the way I do my job and - without asking - he rushes to change things and offers alternatives ..etc.

I wish someone arrests him too , before I have a heart attack !!!

#234090 - 10/20/11 10:04 PM Re: Woman rescues trucker from fiery wreck [Re: Arney]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Sorry I couldn't help it but to comment on the guy .
I am so mad at the jerks I work with. Grrr

Back to topic.
I appreciate what she did. I really do. But having a small child in her car, she should have also thought about the possibility of herself being injured or killed and her own kid becoming vulnerable in a bad situation.

But I do appreciate her courage and selfless mindset.

#234116 - 10/21/11 01:17 AM Re: Woman rescues trucker from fiery wreck [Re: Arney]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Pretty impressive.

One nice thing about it being a truck is that the fuel is diesel. Don't try that if gasoline is leaking all over!

HJ

#234118 - 10/21/11 01:42 AM Re: Woman rescues trucker from fiery wreck [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Izzy forgot a hotlink to the Spyderco Assist cool . Mine hangs out in the console of my truck -- always.

#234119 - 10/21/11 04:04 AM Re: Woman rescues trucker from fiery wreck [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
But having a small child in her car, she should have also thought about the possibility of herself being injured or killed and her own kid becoming vulnerable in a bad situation.

She probably did. And she probably decided that she couldn't live with herself if she didn't stop to help. I guess there was a little gray area between the black and the white.

It takes a lot of self-righteousness to pass a situation like that and just keep going.

A trucker jumped out of his semi in the middle of the freeway (I don't think they ever discovered why) up around Federal Way some months ago. People hit him and didn't stop. More people drove right over him and didn't stop. Finally one woman stopped and called 911. By the time I drove past him, they had him covered with a tarp, but even then we could see that he wasn't the usual shape under the tarp.

I guess a lot of people were in a hurry that night. frown

Sue

#234136 - 10/21/11 12:27 PM Re: Woman rescues trucker from fiery wreck [Re: Susan]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

A few years ago, a fuel truck caught fire just before emptying its load in a gas station. The driver jumped out and ran away. A guy was driving by and saw what happened. He left his car and drove the truck away to an empty area

That case is a bit more black & white than what the lady did. Even if this guy died during his heroic effort, his kids were at home with their mom (or school) at that moment. Not near the scary incident.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:41 PM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.