Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#209697 - 10/15/10 02:51 AM Re: Bowhunter attacked in tree stand by four bears [Re: Phaedrus]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
In my neck of the woods, long shots are uncommon. In the north where rifles are legal for deer hunting the woods are thick and there are a lot of glacial hills and eskers. A carbine will do the trick. In the south where it is slugs only, you have to wait until the deer gets within 100 yards to have a safe shot. I'm speaking in generalities, as there are exceptions in the local terrain of course.

#209701 - 10/15/10 05:03 AM Re: Bowhunter attacked in tree stand by four bears [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Now there are 4 p*ssed of bears out there who associate human beings as pointless aggressive predators who kill just for the pleasure of killing.

Wow, those must be some very intellectual bears. I thought they were just climbing the tree to go eat the guy. How silly of me.

#209714 - 10/15/10 01:50 PM Re: Bowhunter attacked in tree stand by four bears [Re: haertig]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Wow, those must be some very intellectual bears. I thought they were just climbing the tree to go eat the guy. How silly of me.

Just smarter than the average bear laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK8QNsW9Z5k

BTW Bears don't eat people, there are more documented cases of people eating people and bears don't kill people for sport. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/15/10 01:57 PM)

#209720 - 10/15/10 04:04 PM Re: Bowhunter attacked in tree stand by four bears [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Not hard to shoot a bow with better accuracy than a handgun.

Doesn't take much practice to be competent to 40 yards with
a bow, 50 or 60 if you take it seriously.

All the bow hunters I know use a range finder, you can get them
now for as little a $70.

Another unprovoked black bear attack.
http://www.king5.com/news/local/Bellevue...-104419118.html

#209722 - 10/15/10 04:51 PM Re: Bowhunter attacked in tree stand by four bears [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
quote] Just smarter than the average bear laugh

BTW Bears don't eat people, there are more documented cases of people eating people and bears don't kill people for sport. wink [/quote]

We all love Yogi and Boo Boo, and Bambi too. Unfortunately you will probably have a hard time convincing the Huffmans' next of kin that all they are looking for is a pik-a-nic basket..............

" NEAR KAKTOVIK: The Anchorage rafters' food was properly stored, officials say.
By JEANNETTE J. LEE The Associated Press
Published: June 27th, 2005

Two people camping along the Hulahula River in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge were killed by a grizzly bear, officials said Sunday. Officials discovered the bodies and an unused firearm in a tent at a campsite near the river. The couple, whose names were not released, were believed to be in their late 50s or early 60s, North Slope Borough police said. They were from Anchorage and had been on a recreational rafting trip down the river, Alaska State Troopers said. The victims were in their tent when the attack occurred, according to troopers spokesman Tim DeSpain.The campsite was clean, with food stored in bear-proof containers. "The initial scene indicates that it was a predatory act by the bear," DeSpain said. The bear was at the site Saturday night when public safety officials arrived. They shot and killed the animal but did not remove it. A rafter had seen the animal at the site and notified authorities in Kaktovik."

That said, as most hunters know, when it comes to hunting, the killing is not the sport. It is about preparation, tradition, skill, luck, and family ties. For every deer that lived free and is harvested quickly and humanely by me for my family, a cow that waited in fear in a line at the slaughter house, died at the hand of a stranger, and now comes wrapped in cellophane to hide its origins, is spared.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 501 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.