NY Times Editorial 5/31/16 re NY Knife Law

Posted by: acropolis5

NY Times Editorial 5/31/16 re NY Knife Law - 06/01/16 03:56 AM

Today the NYT carried an editorial in favor of legalizing locking pocket knives that could be flipped open , albeit not designed to be "gravity knives" in the true sense of that phrase. The editorial notes that New York State's Office of Court Administration recommends the change in law and that the bill is now in the NY Assembly. Although, there seems to be a two hand opening requirement of some sort. ( I often draft legislation and I don't think that you could draft intelligible text to meet such a standard.)

Mr. Ritter, is Knife Rights aware of this pending legislation? And, if so, are you backing the bill?

Oh, and I didn't attach the Editorial because I don't know how to do it.
Posted by: rafowell

Re: NY Times Editorial 5/31/16 re NY Knife Law - 06/01/16 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Mr. Ritter, is Knife Rights aware of this pending legislation? And, if so, are you backing the bill?

Per Doug Ritter's May 31, 2016 "Knife Rights News Slice™ eBlast" : Yes and Yes. ("we agree 100% with the Times"). It is also discussed on the Knife Rights Home Page.

The 2nd icon from the left at the top of the message form (the "ball (earth) and chain (link)" icon, if clicked on, will prompt you (sequentially) for the URL and link text, resulting in:

New York’s Outdated Knife Law
Posted by: Bingley

Re: NY Times Editorial 5/31/16 re NY Knife Law - 06/01/16 06:23 PM

A good editorial. I hope New York will do the right thing. Thanks for sharing, Acropolis.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: NY Times Editorial 5/31/16 re NY Knife Law - 06/01/16 07:48 PM

Even with the two handed opening requirement, getting locking knives legalized will save a lot of fingers.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: NY Times Editorial 5/31/16 re NY Knife Law - 06/07/16 06:17 PM

Today the NYT carried an editorial in favor of legalizing locking pocket knives that could be flipped open , albeit not designed to be "gravity knives" in the true sense of that phrase. The editorial notes that New York State's Office of Court Administration recommends the change in law and that the bill is now in the NY Assembly. Although, there seems to be a two hand opening requirement of some sort. ( I often draft legislation and I don't think that you could draft intelligible text to meet such a standard.)

Since we wrote the bill, I guess we are aware of it. :-)

For the latest, see: http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=234&Itemid=1
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: NY Times Editorial 5/31/16 re NY Knife Law - 06/07/16 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Even with the two handed opening requirement, getting locking knives legalized will save a lot of fingers.

There is no "two handed opening requirement". The NYT is simply ignorant of knife technology. Having said that, all that matters is their support of the bill, which we are happy to have.