Commuter Kit

Posted by: chaosmagnet

Commuter Kit - 12/12/11 03:58 PM

In April of 2010 (http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post199996) I took on a new job that involves commuting by train. I sought the forum's advice on what I could carry.

To recap, I live in the far suburbs and often take the commuter rail to work in the city center. I'm limited in the weight and bulk of what I can carry. I'm most concerned about a transportation disruption that leaves me stuck on the train overnight or otherwise unable to get home.

The kit has evolved a little bit since I first posted here, this is the current list:

• one liter Nalgene, full of fresh water
  • sesame bars **
  • spare CR123A battery in a plastic wrapper, suitable for my primary EDC flashlight (which is a 4Sevens Quark 123 R5)
  • 4Sevens Prism kit to turn the Quark into a headlamp
  • iTP A3 EOS Upgrade 1xAAA flashlight on a neck lanyard
  • Fenix E01 1xAAA flashlight on a neck lanyard
  • Countycomm "split pea" lighter
  • A couple of large paperclips
  • eight Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide tablets
  • Fox 40 Micro whistle in blaze orange
  • A small amount of duct tape
  • Sawyer sunblock with bug repellant spray
  • Dust mask
  • bandanna
  • mechanics gloves
  • Heatsheets 2 person emergency blanket
  • emergency poncho
  • large contractor bag
  • Countycommm "ETFR" small radio with earbuds
  • Leatherman Wave (pre-2004) **
  • screwdriver with bits in hollow handle **
  • Preon 2 S3 Ti **
  • cable ties **
  • small FAK including Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit
  • sync/charge cables and AC power cube for my iPhone **
  • 2 Ah lithium polymer battery with cables to charge my iPhone or many other devices
  • earplugs **
  • facial tissue **

** indicates something I carry for work that can be pressed into service for emergencies

I don't go outside without my Ritter MiniGrip, iPhone, earbuds, Quark 123, Fisher bullet, wallet, or keys. My key ring has a 4Sevens flat whistle, a Leatherman PS4 and a 4Sevens ReVO on it. I'm very thoughtful about my footwear and outerwear, especially when I'm commuting on the train. In cold weather I always have a hat, gloves and a wool Buff. I keep a small umbrella in my bag at all times, and I'll carry a better one if I'm expecting rain.

It may be excessive to carry two flashlights on my person and three flashlights in my bag. I could get rid of the E01 but it's a perfect spare battery carrier and doesn't weigh much or take up too much space. I figure that I could lend out or give away flashlights if I needed to.

Beyond that, where can I save weight or space? What should I add that I don't already carry?
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/12/11 04:44 PM

after a quick glance through the included thread a second look at a couple of suggestions you have already discounted..

filter bottle (like a Sawyer) and nested metal cup

upgrade trauma kit...compression bandage, hemostatic gauze, irrigation syringe, burn dressing

not knowing your location or predisposition..upgrade personal protection
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/12/11 04:46 PM

That looks like a great setup, and you have clearly put a lot of thought into it. I could suggest a few minor tweaks. I prefer to standardize on one battery type, so that my headlight (PT EOS) can become a battery carrier for my LD01 if necessary. You can get a really rugged battery carier for 123s at CountyComm; I would prefer that to plastic wrap. I would consider a lightweight hooded jacket - my current selection is a Patagonia Houdini, weighing all of 4 oz... I would throw in some lengths of small cordage (braided mason's twine) to expand the utility of the heatsheet and poncho in sheltering, and for other purposes.

Do you have any cash stashed away? That could be useful.

I am intrigued by the similarities between your kit and what I have more haphazardly assembled in my work bag - dustmask, work gloves, split pea lighter, early model Wave, etc.

I also acquired and keep handy CountyComm's midsize EOD breaker bar - literally a sharpened prybar. Haven't had to put it to serious use yet.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/12/11 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
filter bottle (like a Sawyer) and nested metal cup

It's possible that I could find a metal cup to nest with my Nalgene. I'm reluctant to add either bottle weight or reduce water capacity by getting a filter bottle, the Potable Aqua tabs are very small and light and can serve the same purpose.

Quote:
upgrade trauma kit...compression bandage, hemostatic gauze, irrigation syringe, burn dressing

My first aid kit is already the single bulkiest piece of preparedness gear in this bag. While the SWAT-T in the Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit isn't the best tourniquet or the best pressure dressing, it can be pressed into service for either purpose. I can create a field-expedient irrigation syringe with one of the ziplocks (one for the FAK, one for sesame bars, one for gum and candy, one for the radio) if I need to. I should add some QuickClot gauze, though.

Quote:
not knowing your location or predisposition..upgrade personal protection

Sunglasses (which I didn't mention), dust mask, and gloves make sense to me. What would you suggest I add?

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I prefer to standardize on one battery type, so that my headlight (PT EOS) can become a battery carrier for my LD01 if necessary.

I've made the decision to mostly use CR123A and 18650 batteries (my 18650 lights will take 2xCR123A at need). The 1xAAA form-factor works better for lights that get stashed in small kits. In my mind the benefits of carrying both outweigh the detriments. I recognize that I'm not 100% rational about flashlights.

Quote:
You can get a really rugged battery carier for 123s at CountyComm; I would prefer that to plastic wrap.

The battery came individually shrinkwrapped. I'll think about getting the CC carrier and adding the bulk. If you're thinking of the Delrin case, I remember thinking that it was too spendy.

Quote:
I would consider a lightweight hooded jacket - my current selection is a Patagonia Houdini, weighing all of 4 oz...

I often carry a rain shell (mine is a packable Columbia) -- it works in a large range of temperatures if I also have a fleece and a hat (and my fleece has a dedicated hat that is always either on my head or in its pocket). It's cold enough now that I'm wearing my parka, so I leave the rain shell behind.

How small does the Houdini pack down? My packable Columbia is almost perfect other than not packing down as small as I'd like.

Quote:
I would throw in some lengths of small cordage (braided mason's twine) to expand the utility of the heatsheet and poncho in sheltering, and for other purposes.

Yes! Cordage is an area where I could do better. The Fox 40 comes with a thin neck lanyard but it's too short. I have some caustic green accessory cord that would work well for this.

Quote:
Do you have any cash stashed away? That could be useful.

I always have at least two hundred dollars in cash. I've been avoiding stashing cash in my laptop bag, but it might make sense for me to start.

Quote:
I am intrigued by the similarities between your kit and what I have more haphazardly assembled in my work bag - dustmask, work gloves, split pea lighter, early model Wave, etc.

Great minds think alike :-).

Quote:
I also acquired and keep handy CountyComm's midsize EOD breaker bar - literally a sharpened prybar. Haven't had to put it to serious use yet.

I have a full size breacher bar in my BOB (in my car), but not in my laptop bag. I don't think I can afford one that's big enough to be useful yet light enough to be worth the weight. I've seen some cool-looking titanium wrecking bars but I'm not convinced they'd be worth the weight even if I could afford one right now.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/12/11 05:49 PM

Not sure if your iPhone will do it in a pinch, but unless you're already very well acquainted with the entire train route, a map of the area could be useful. If the train is stopped somewhere and the passengers are allowed to get off to stretch their legs, you might decide to ask a friend to pick you up at a nearby crossroads or highway exit. You could add certain assets along the train route to the map--motels, supermarkets, malls, alternate public transit, 24-hour restaurants, etc. in case the train will be stuck for a long time.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/12/11 05:59 PM

The Houdini packs down in its integral pocket to just slightly larger than a male's clenched fist - thus it always sits in my bag, ready if needed.

I have long carried such an item in various packs. I haven't always needed to use it of course, but when I did, a light hooded jacket to blunt the unanticipated wind and rain was really welcome.

You could also reduce bottle weight by substituting a recycled Gatorade (or equivalent) bottle for the Nalgene. I use both and find the recycled bottles just as tough as useful. You do reduce water volume about 5% (quart vs liter) but knock off about 2 or three ounces in weight. Another possibility would be a Platypus one liter water bottle. It can be rolled up when not in use.

I like the idea of a nested cup. For six bucks, you can get a stainless steel cup that is a perfect fit. For forty dollars, get a Snow peak 700, also a perfect fit and lighter. I'll bet that if you look around, you can recycle a tin can for free...

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/12/11 06:03 PM

Paper maps of this are either insufficiently detailed or too bulky, or both. The Google Maps app on my iPhone is outstanding -- as long as there's data connectivity. I also have iTopomaps on my phone, and I have all the quads for the local area downloaded. Since I know the area extremely well and I'm confident in my ability to navigate without any aids, my decision has been to not carry a paper map.

It's a compromise. On the train and on foot I can't carry all the gear that I have in my car all the time. Heck, I can't carry everything in my car that I have at home.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/12/11 06:46 PM

for personal protection I was thinking more along the lines of a firearm, or less lethal... telescoping baton, chemical spray (OC CN CS)..slungshot

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/12/11 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
for personal protection I was thinking more along the lines of a firearm, or less lethal... telescoping baton, chemical spray (OC CN CS)..slungshot

Gotcha. I carry concealed everywhere that I can do so legally. I carry a Kimber PepperBlaster II in places that I can't bring my pistol.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/13/11 12:14 AM

The Houdini packs down in its integral pocket to just slightly larger than a male's clenched fist - thus it always sits in my bag, ready if needed.

I'll have to see if I can get one on sale.

Quote:
You could also reduce bottle weight by substituting a recycled Gatorade (or equivalent) bottle for the Nalgene.

My Nalgene fits in the carrier, and I don't think a Gatorade bottle would.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/13/11 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

I'll have to see if I can get one on sale.

Almost as compact, and somewhat more sturdy, is the Marmot PreCip jacket. I have seen those on sale at Sierra Trading Post for around $60. Hard to get anything decent any cheaper than that. The PreCip has worked very well for me - I wear it regularly when cycling in wet weather.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/13/11 07:40 PM

That's a lot easier to swallow! Thanks hikermor!
Posted by: KI6IW

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/14/11 05:53 PM

How about eye protection?

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/14/11 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: KI6IW
How about eye protection?

Sunglasses? I've ordered a spare pair of prescription glasses to go with the spare contact lenses.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/14/11 07:46 PM

Almost as compact, and somewhat more sturdy, is the Marmot PreCip jacket. I have seen those on sale at Sierra Trading Post for around $60. Hard to get anything decent any cheaper than that. The PreCip has worked very well for me - I wear it regularly when cycling in wet weather.

Always grateful for an excuse to get over to REI, I tried on the PreCip today. I liked it too. However it doesn't pack up that much smaller than my Columbia rain shell. The Houdini isn't waterproof, it's "water resistant". I've decided to stick with what I got. I can fit my rain shell and a fleece jacket in my laptop bag and be comfortable in a wide variety of weather conditions.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/14/11 08:16 PM

Just a different angle we might brainstorm. I guess it sort of falls in between being stuck on the train and your office BIB thread.

One likely scenario where you might need to use some of your kit is if you get stuck at the train station before you ever get on the train. I think this situation is more likely than actually getting stuck on a train for an extended time. Perhaps inclement weather, like Snowmaggedon, stops all train service rather suddenly, and also makes it difficult/impractical to get back to your office (I have no idea how far your office is from the station).

So, either sacking out at the station for the night or finding shelter somewhere near the station could be another scenario to throw out there. I have no idea if "station" means something like NY's Grand Central or basically just a covered platform in an out-of-the-way, industrial part of town, so there's a lot we can't really assume without more details.

You should do all right with what you have. Just trying to think of any additional new contingencies that would be prudent to mull over.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/14/11 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney
One likely scenario where you might need to use some of your kit is if you get stuck at the train station before you ever get on the train.

Really great point Arney. Around here, most stations connect to some sort of building larger than just a covered shelter but it could get very crowed depending on the time of day. Shelter takes on more importance if you're thinking about a winter storm scenario.
Posted by: Crowe

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/14/11 09:16 PM

A prybar of some type makes sense to me for a train kit, doors might get stuck/jammed/unpowered.

How about a Mini-Prybar or a Nail Puller ?

A N95 mask would be good to pack, as would some swimming goggles (for dust), but you have a bandana and sunglasses, so should be okay

Some thoughts,

Crowe

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/14/11 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney
One likely scenario where you might need to use some of your kit is if you get stuck at the train station before you ever get on the train.

This is an excellent point.

Our new office is about two blocks from the train station. It seems doubtful that I could walk to the train station but not be able to walk back -- and my keycard is good for after-hours access. The keycard system is on a UPS so I would presumably be able to get in and out for at least the first few hours of a power outage.

I'm originally from New York City and I know Grand Central well. I can say that my station is closer to Grand Central than to a covered platform.

Originally Posted By: Crowe
A prybar of some type makes sense to me for a train kit, doors might get stuck/jammed/unpowered.

How about a Mini-Prybar or a Nail Puller ?

I've previously been of the opinion that I couldn't afford the weight or space for a prybar big enough to be useful, and that I couldn't afford the cost for a titanium bar. I do carry a Leatherman Wave as well as a very strong screwdriver, both of which can be used for some degree of prying, especially together.

However, that Vaughan-Bushnell Mini-Prybar looks quite appetizing. It's light and big enough to be useful. It's cheap enough for me to throw one in my next Amazon order and check it out. Thanks for the tip!

I have a couple of Nail Pullers, and I'm not convinced they'd be worth the weight -- they're heavier than the Mini-Prybar and not shaped as well.

Quote:
A N95 mask would be good to pack, as would some swimming goggles (for dust), but you have a bandana and sunglasses, so should be okay

I do have an N95 mask. Hopefully my sunglasses would suffice for any dust.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/15/11 12:05 AM

The 5.5" Vaughn may be small, but the 7.5" Stanley is much more capable IMO.

The Stanley is still relatively small; the claw is roughly the same length as the Vaughn, but the Stanley is ~twice the width and a tad thicker stock. If you can fit a 7.5" length, go for the Stanley.

I have both and the 5.5" Vaughn is light duty. I'm not sure how much use it would be opening elevator or subway doors. $.02

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/15/11 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
If you can fit a 7.5" length, go for the Stanley.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/15/11 12:33 AM

...my keycard is good for after-hours access.

After-hours access was one of the specifics I was wondering about, which would negate your BIB kit back at the office if train service were suspended till the next day.

I've had to wait at airports, just sitting wherever you could plunk yourself down and lean against the wall in the terminal when all the seats were occupied. Too bulky for a commuter kit, but something padded to sit on would make life easier on the tush. One of those closed cell kneeling pads for gardening would've been very helpful. Not sure if anything inflatable would provide enough cushioning to sit on comfortably for long periods.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/15/11 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
I have both and the 5.5" Vaughn is light duty. I'm not sure how much use it would be opening elevator or subway doors.

If the emergency release for the train doors did not work for some reason and you really needed to get out, I think smashing out a train window with the multitool makes more sense than trying to pry open a door that may be held closed by a pressurized hydraulic mechanism. Even if there is a safety film on the glass, the pliers on the multitool should probably allow you to peel it back. I guess there must be train windows with internal safety films laminated in there, but I'm not aware of any transit systems using that kind of window glass.

Moving debris out of the way is certainly a legitimate need for a pry bar, but is it worth the weight of carrying a sizabe pry bar--for me, no. And I don't forsee a very small one being useful to me for train travel. I think I would stick with gloves and hope elbow grease (perhaps multiple "elbows" helping out) would be sufficient to move something out of the way, if the need arises.

An elevator is a different situation, but you'd have to be really lucky to be stuck in a position where opening a door allows you to escape into the building. Well, I take that back. WTC on 9/11 is the only example I have heard of where people tunnelled their way out of an elevator trapped between floors. But that escape only worked because the elevator shafts in the WTC were lined with drywall or some other lightweight materal to save weight in the massive buildings. I don't think that's a common situation in most elevator shafts.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/15/11 07:47 AM

Not sure in the US, but in europe all the trains i have been in are equipped with a emergency manual overrides. So you can unlock the doors and open them manually during an emergency.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/15/11 02:16 PM

Our trains have manual overrides for the doors and windows rigged for emergency escape.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/15/11 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Tjin
Not sure in the US, but in europe all the trains i have been in are equipped with a emergency manual overrides.

Thank you, that is exactly my point. If you can operate the manual release, you don't need a pry bar. If you can't operate or reach the release for some reason, I'm not sure a small pry bar would help and a larger one is just too heavy to carry everyday unless you get a lightweight (and expensive) titanium one.

To me, opening train doors is not a practical reason to endure the inconvenience of carrying a pry bar in an EDC kit. Obviously, train doors are not the only situation a pry bar may be useful, though, but we have to choose the situations that we ultimately prepare for. I make sure to have a pry bar right next to my bedroom door in case a California earthquake shifts the house enough to jam the door

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/15/11 04:27 PM

Is 4.80 oz too heavy? I don't know. I carry a 12" Wonderbar in my truck along with a 22 oz framing hammer. I don't have plans to EDC a pry bar because I can think of no use for one on the walk home.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/16/11 09:56 PM

Admitedly, I somewhat obcess on this type of kit. You have a good start. Let me add a few comments as food for thought. Cash ($100-$1000, assorted mostly $1,5,10 & 20s) saves your life in buying a needed taxi ride, hotel room or avioding a mugging. In a blackout, credit cards do not work. An extra, secondary credit card. If you loose your wallet, you'll be much happier with this precaution. Some, (4-8), quarters are useful for pay phones (there are still some around), vending machines and parking meters. Gloves, heavy leather or lighter Kevlar/Nomex, to protect your hands in a bailout situation. Swim goggles to seal stuff out of your eyes. Color copies of important documents,e.g. driver's license, medical insurance card, credit cards (both sides). Duct tape, preferably Gorilla brand, enough to seal an office door, even if you have to split it in half. Commonly used drugs for pain/allergy/etc., along with a 2 day supply of prescrition drugs. A 4-way silcock key to obtain water from urban spigots with no handles or recessed cocks, albeit a Leatherman may do the trick in a pinch. You're dead wrong on water purification. Urban bugout will have the most polluted water, chemicals, germs, viruses, debris, etc. You need a high quality straw filter or bottle for all of the above. I like Seychelles brand (Advanced Models), especially for the straw. Cordage, say 25-50ft. of 550 cord. For an evac from a train tunnel, sealed high-rise or underground/sealed train station, a MyXcaper Mask filter (teamed with the swim goggles). Lastly, if you need a truma kit, you really need it. They are a bit of bulk, but very lightweight. Happy thinking and may you never need to use any of this.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/17/11 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
You're dead wrong on water purification. Urban bugout will have the most polluted water, chemicals, germs, viruses, debris, etc. You need a high quality straw filter or bottle for all of the above.

Really? You certainly have a point if we are discussing open water sources - puddles or open containers or water systems that have been compromised by breaks in mains - something that might happen in a massive earthquake. I don't believe there is likely to be any kind of problem in a normally functioning water system in most developed countries, especially the USA. Chemical contamination will require extraordinary measures.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/17/11 06:11 AM

Hikemor, you are correct if you are bugging out from a snowstorm or other event that does not compromise the utility's pipes or filtration plant. Such a compromise of a water utility is all too common in any situation causing flooding and in some involving a blackout or plant failure or a chemical spill into a reservoir. Just think how many times the media transmit boil water advisories after a storm or flood. Heavy flooding also brings about chemical contamination from vehicles, businesses and factories. Conjure New Orleans water, post-Katrina. Finally, the Seychelles purifiers and other comparable backpack purifiers are rated for a fair amount of chemical and viral elimination.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/17/11 12:31 PM

just a comment...at a meeting with the Emergency Management Director of MacDill AFB in Tampa, who was helping us prepare a student service community activity, the topic of flooding came up.. MacDill is pretty low with an elevation of around 14'...he said his great fear was the next two feet (height of a toilet), when the toilets would backup and overflow... something to think about...I know I hadn't

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/17/11 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Cash ($100-$1000, assorted mostly $1,5,10 & 20s) saves your life in buying a needed taxi ride, hotel room or avioding a mugging. In a blackout, credit cards do not work. An extra, secondary credit card. If you loose your wallet, you'll be much happier with this precaution.

I always have cash on me, enough for a cab ride home at least. I've been avoiding keeping cash or a credit card anywhere that isn't on my person or secured at home. This leaves me vulnerable to loss of my wallet, but makes it easier to prevent cash from being stolen or credit cards from being misused.

Quote:
Some, (4-8), quarters are useful for pay phones (there are still some around), vending machines and parking meters.

I just took the quarters out of my commuter kit. I can't remember seeing any payphones in the last six months, the vending machines all take dollar bills, and if I'm parking I'll have my car kit which includes $5 in quarters. If I'm desperate for something inside a vending machine and it's a life-threatening emergency, I can break the glass to get at it or bust something open that has coins in it.

Quote:
Gloves, heavy leather or lighter Kevlar/Nomex, to protect your hands in a bailout situation. Swim goggles to seal stuff out of your eyes.

Got the gloves. Swim goggles seem excessive to me; the chances I'll be around a survivable incident where sunglasses wouldn't be enough but swim goggles would be seem remote.

Quote:
Color copies of important documents,e.g. driver's license, medical insurance card, credit cards (both sides).

Again, I'm more concerned about identity fraud (happened to me three times in 2011!) versus being totally unable to get access to medical insurance, identity or credit card information. If credit cards are important, chances are that phones will work and I can call American Express -- I've memorized the numbers on my card. The ER will treat me without proof of medical insurance and I can get a fresh card for that easily if I incur medical bills.

It does make sense, however, for me to update the encrypted file on my phone containing the information from my wallet cards. Thank you for the reminder.

Quote:
Duct tape, preferably Gorilla brand, enough to seal an office door, even if you have to split it in half. Commonly used drugs for pain/allergy/etc., along with a 2 day supply of prescrition drugs.

I have duct tape and OTC meds. I'm not currently on any prescriptions.

Quote:
A 4-way silcock key to obtain water from urban spigots with no handles or recessed cocks, albeit a Leatherman may do the trick in a pinch.

A silcock key is a heavy single-use item. My Leatherman is needed for work and does a number of things reasonably well. I've never seen a silcock I couldn't open with it.

Quote:
You're dead wrong on water purification. Urban bugout will have the most polluted water, chemicals, germs, viruses, debris, etc. You need a high quality straw filter or bottle for all of the above.

I can filter particulates with my dust mask, bandanna or the microfiber cloth I carry to keep my laptop screen clean. I can kill bugs with the chlorine dioxide tabs. What straw filter or bottle will reliably filter pollution or chemicals?

Quote:
Cordage, say 25-50ft. of 550 cord.

I'm carrying more like 20 feet of light accessory cord. Fifty feet of 550 cord would take up a lot of room comparatively.

Quote:
For an evac from a train tunnel, sealed high-rise or underground/sealed train station, a MyXcaper Mask filter (teamed with the swim goggles).

The MyXcaper looks like a good piece of kit. I've been avoiding buying one due to cost and space considerations, reasoning that while I do spend quite a bit of time in high-rises they all have multiple stairwells and sprinklers. I'm going to think this one over.

Quote:
Lastly, if you need a truma kit, you really need it. They are a bit of bulk, but very lightweight. Happy thinking and may you never need to use any of this.

I do have a minimalist trauma kit. And I certainly join you in hoping I won't need any of this stuff.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/17/11 06:32 PM

Chaosmagnet, I appreciate the consideration you have given to my and other suggestions and I respect your choices . I usually don't argue after the decision is given, but you did end in part with an inquiry about what bottle purifiers can deal with chemical and biological contamination. The answer is : Seychelles Advanced (both bottle and straw), Katadyn Extream XR, Berkey and Sawyer, albeit the last two might also require tablets or bleach. I personally chose both the Seychelles Advanced bottles and straws, as they are the lightest and smallest. In other apps, I've used Katadyn too. Finally, the MyXcaper is fairly small and very light and the five year model is the better value. But, if you need the mask, you'll also need goggles for your eyes. Xcaper has them as a kit, but swim goggles seal better, can be bought with anti fog coating and are cheaper.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/17/11 07:33 PM

Thanks!
Posted by: Pete

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/17/11 11:12 PM

Just my $0.02, and I have not checked all the responses on this thread. You've certainly got a lot of excellent items, and many look pretty compact. But there is a lot of stuff - it would be worth reducing the quantity of gear.

One idea is to get a small box that holds all this stuff, and then pack only some fraction of it for any specific trip. PILE all the stuff in your "survival box", and then pack only 50% of it for any trip that you are taking. Leave the rest in your survival box at home. You can vary what you take, depending on circumstances.

I'm not a believer in planning for all possible contingencies - it creates too much bulk and weight. I think it's better to be forced to prioritize your choices - those important choices (and mistakes) teach yo how best to prepare.

BTW, three flashlights seems excessive. One good penlight and a back-up micro-light (LED) should be more than effective.

Pete2

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/18/11 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Pete
I'm not a believer in planning for all possible contingencies - it creates too much bulk and weight. I think it's better to be forced to prioritize your choices - those important choices (and mistakes) teach yo how best to prepare.

That's certainly what I'm trying to do. Believe me this is much smaller than my car kit! Other than the FAK and the water bottle everything is light and compact, limited in space to two small pockets in my laptop bag. The only component of the FAK I haven't used for myself or a coworker recently is the trauma kit, which is pretty small.

Quote:
BTW, three flashlights seems excessive. One good penlight and a back-up micro-light (LED) should be more than effective.

Recognizing that I'm not entirely rational on the subject, I have the Preon 2 for work, the iTP 1xAAA as my backup flashlight, and the 1xAAA Fenix E01 as either the backup to the iTP, another light I can give away, or the world's most robust battery holder, take your pick.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/18/11 02:47 PM

Quote:

Recognizing that I'm not entirely rational on the subject, I have the Preon 2 for work, the iTP 1xAAA as my backup flashlight, and the 1xAAA Fenix E01 as either the backup to the iTP, another light I can give away, or the world's most robust battery holder, take your pick.

I haven't tried it but in Toronto the stations, tunnels and underground city would get pretty dark in a power failure. There's emergency lighting but I'd rather have my own dependable light, especially if that emergency lighting ever failed. Having a light to give away sounds like a very smart idea in those scenarios. (Of course, that's just one more reason I've stopped commuting to TO and why I choose to take my car when I do need to go the big city or anywhere else on the commuter lines.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/20/11 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Crowe
How about a Mini-Prybar

I received mine today. I put it in the BOB kept in my car. The CountyComm Pocket Widgy that was there went into my laptop bag kit. I think I'll get another Mini-Prybar for my wife's BOB.

Re: Commuter Kit - 12/20/11 03:41 AM

I find mini-bars to be very useful items. I have various sizes in my vehicle and smaller ones in my briefcase or pack. I have a nice big one that I keep under the bed for use when the Big One strikes our fair city.
Posted by: gulliamo

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/02/12 01:34 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have to ask if the 4Sevens titanium (God's metal) whistle is worth the $20 bucks over a standard $3 REI whistle?

For example does it not have plastic inserts?

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/02/12 02:03 AM

REI is now selling a new whistle with a claimed rating of 120 d - a gadget called a "tri-power safety whistle," or something similar. Santa brought one to me for Xmas and it indeed is pretty loud.

My apologies - I would post the link if only I knew how...

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/02/12 02:06 AM

I don't have the slim whistle. There have been reports on other fora of the plastic insert moving inappropriately. 4Sevens reports that they have found the problem in production and fixed it. They also say that they will fix or replace any that have the issue.

My keychain whistle is the flat $40 model. No problems to report. Would buy again without hesitation.

I have no affiliation with 4Sevens other than owning a ridiculous amount of their products.

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/02/12 02:31 AM

There you go REI Tri-Power Safety Whistle
Posted by: jshannon

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/02/12 12:29 PM

http://www.whistlesforlife.com/

Tri Power whistle said to contain a pea (stated waterproof).

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/02/12 04:06 PM

Is there any reason to not stick with the Fox 40 Micro? It's inexpensive, loud as heck, and proven.

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/02/12 04:11 PM

Older ears like mine can't hear the Fox 40 -- not decibels, pitch/frequency. I figure I'm prolly not the only one.

I hear the Sharx just fine.

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/02/12 06:03 PM

I didn't realize that the Sharx had such a different pitch.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/07/12 01:54 AM

I have been told, in this forum, to stay away from pea-type whistles.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/07/12 02:24 AM

I wonder if the pealess chambers still work if the pea freezes?
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/07/12 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I have been told, in this forum, to stay away from pea-type whistles.

Most new better quality pea type whistles now use a non absorbent pea material that does not collect moisture and cause, IMO, the almost mythical freezing that would prevent the pea whistle from working.

I grew up playing organized league hockey and also unorganized outdoor rink/pond hockey outdoors in temperatures down to -20 if not more sometimes. When we did have a "Ref" for the outdoor game the old style pea whistles always worked fine with constant use while exposed to the these cold temperatures.

I have never heard of any old style pea whistle not working when needed in a survival situation. Remember the best survival gear is what you have with you when needed. If all you have is a old pea whistle, it is much better then the alternative of no whistle at all.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/07/12 05:57 AM

-20 if not more,Celsius? The problem with pea whistles is,moving parts & if the pea were to malfunction,stick,disintegrate,etc. the chamber didn't produce enough sound to be audible.Myth or Not,An emergency is not the time one would like the chance,for this to happen,Even if it's a slim chance!Personally,I would like to get by with more than the hair of my chinny chin chin,How about you,Aaa!

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/07/12 12:35 PM

I have a flat 3 chambered TOPS brand whistle slipped behind my multi tool I EDC, but have gone back a more robust traditional brass whistle with pea as part of my key chain group...I lost the mini Fox from the AMK... assume the ring let go....in a non scientific test of the three.. at my declining age I hear the frequency range of the traditional whistle with trill better

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/07/12 05:04 PM

I'm getting conflicting opinions on the Whistles for Life Safety Whistle. I carry a Fox 40 Classic on my key chain. How can I know which is the best key chain size whistle (something smaller than The Storm)?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/07/12 05:21 PM

I'm getting conflicting opinions on the Whistles for Life Safety Whistle. I carry a Fox 40 Classic on my key chain. How can I know which is the best key chain size whistle (something smaller than The Storm)?
Jeanette Isabelle

There is nothing wrong with the Whistles for Life whistle or the Fox 40. Either will function fine for 99.9999999% of any person's needs.

People get too caught up in semantics and opinions that offer no comparison to real world situations. This can be applied to all gear such as what is the best cup, stove, backpack, knife grind, flashlight and so on. Choose the gear that is right for your needs, and stay away from junk knockoff gear and you will be fine...

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/07/12 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
There is nothing wrong with the Whistles for Life whistle or the Fox 40. Either will function fine for 99.9999999% of any person's needs.

People get too caught up in semantics and opinions that offer no comparison to real world situations.

One time I used my Fox 40 Classic, rated 115 decibels, and no one in close proximity heard it. A guy on the other side of the fence was mowing the lawn. Would the multi frequencies of the Whistles for Life Safety Whistle have made a difference over the noise of the lawn mower?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Commuter Kit - 01/08/12 02:49 AM

Jeanette Isabelle

To quote Bogie to Bacall

"you just put your lips together and blow"