Cover for vehicle bike rack?

Posted by: dweste

Cover for vehicle bike rack? - 10/28/09 06:55 PM

I cannot find a cover for a receiver-style bicycle rack. I would like to leave my bicycle secured to my vehicle but want it protected from the elements whether I am close to home or traveling long distance.

A custom cover is currently beyond my means and lashing a tarp around everything works but is not very handy or secure.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Posted by: Henry_Porter

Re: Cover for vehicle bike rack? - 10/28/09 08:22 PM

Topeak is one maker of this kind of cover. See, e.g.,

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Rain-Cover-MTX-Trunk/dp/B000FI6YN4

Hope this helps.

Posted by: hikermor

Re: Cover for vehicle bike rack? - 10/28/09 09:28 PM

It looks like that item just covers the rear panniers on a bike, not the entire bicycle.

You could always take a cheap blue tarp, cut it to size, and sew up the sides to make a large envelope to slip over the rack and bike.

Mine just goes naked when it is on a car rack, but I don't leave it there for long periods. I would want to have a really good lock attached if that was where I habitually stored my ride.
Posted by: Henry_Porter

Re: Cover for vehicle bike rack? - 10/28/09 09:38 PM

hikermor, you're right! I missed that. The search continues....
Posted by: Andy

Re: Cover for vehicle bike rack? - 10/28/09 11:14 PM

Good luck on your hunt. Just a reminder to check the visibility of your tail lights if you mount the bike on the back of the car. I almost rear-ended a Jeep last year on I-95 because the bike cover blocked the vehicle's tail lights. Didn't help that the Jeep was also black.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Cover for vehicle bike rack? - 10/29/09 04:22 AM

A couple of optiions have turned up:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_5f6abztn67_b
Posted by: Susan

Re: Cover for vehicle bike rack? - 10/29/09 08:41 PM

You might go to a few local fabric shops and chat with the clerks, or ask if they have a bulletin board. Sometimes they know women who do a little custom work. They often don't have a business per se, they just do some side work for reasonable prices. Agree on a material, you buy it, and they do the fitting and sewing. Be sure to make a sketch for any grommets or fasteners, and BE SPECIFIC.

Unless you really need the write-off, pay in cash.

Sue