Communications Cache Technology

Posted by: bws48

Communications Cache Technology - 10/08/14 12:05 PM

I was reading a news story that referenced the need to set up a local communications network to support the search for a missing UVA student. It made mention of some equipment/capabilities used, supplied and operated by the "Virginia Communications Cache." I then found their site, describing their capabilities, equipment and listing their deployments.

Their site:

http://www.vacache.org/index.cfm?CFID=25...AAA45C7.cfusion

I had never heard about this capability, and am impressed. Thought others might be interested also. I wonder how widely this capability is available in other locations? I would think it should be available widely.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Communications Cache Technology - 10/08/14 12:48 PM

I know that similar capabilities are here in PA too.
Posted by: Ian

Re: Communications Cache Technology - 10/08/14 04:16 PM

I am a member of RAYNET in the UK supporting the emergency services, SAR and utilities. Our County group have similar equipment and capabilities.

RAYNET Overview

RAYNET Home
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Communications Cache Technology - 10/08/14 11:44 PM

I've seen a similar capability deployed in exercises where I live (neither PA nor VA). I think a number of states have this.
Posted by: Lono

Re: Communications Cache Technology - 10/09/14 04:37 AM

Anyone who can afford it, or can't afford to be without communications. Whenever American Red Cross goes into any heavy hit area with comms down, they restore comms via satellite and cellular networks -for their own comms that is. They send the equipment from central supply warehouses, and techs travel meet up with and deploy entire IT infrastructures. Ham radio can be the backbone of emergency comms for any locality - ARES and RACES are ready to jump in. And commercial cell network providers have emergency plans to stand up more robust networks should their commercial nets go down. Check your local and state EMs, they should have a similar net in their plans.