hard boiled eggs

Posted by: LesSnyder

hard boiled eggs - 07/22/12 03:53 PM

OK... has anyone tried dry vacuum pack sealing hard boiled eggs in glass jars?

we need a food forum...
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/23/12 12:51 AM

Given the serious implications, it's hard to give advice on a forum like this.

I have eaten pickled hard-boiled eggs in a bar and survived.

How were they prepared? The jar had a commercial manufacturer's label on it. Vinegar and salt were involved. That's all I know.

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/23/12 01:38 AM

not pickled, just hard boiled and vacuum packed in a glass jars with vacuum sealer and jar adapter... looking for a way to store some protein
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/23/12 03:46 AM

Be advised that eggs packed like that won't be shelf stable. They probably would last quite a bit longer in the fridge than a regular boiled egg. To make them shelf stable you'd have to heat them up to pressure canning temp, which would probably result in some really gross eggs!

I do have a commercial grade chamber vacuum sealer. It might be interesting to try it out sometime.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/23/12 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
... looking for a way to store some protein

Dried aggs have been a survival/camping staple for a long time, and are available on amazon

each #10 can contains the equivalent of 85 eggs.

Alternatively, a recipe for 1000 year old eggs:
"Thousand Year Old Eggs" are really only about 100 days old.

Duck eggs are used instead of chicken eggs.

The raw eggs are buried in the ground in a mixture of clay, lime, salt, tea and straw. I have seen recipes calling for pine ash instead of clay.

This mixture leaches into the shell and egg, making the interior smooth and creamy—like a ripe avocado in texture.

The yolk turns a vivid green and the white various shades of yellow, blue and green. It has been compared to the colors of a black opal.

To eat them, wash the eggs clean, shell them and slice into quarters. The flavor is rich, pungent and cheese-like.

I have not looked for them specifically but am told that you can buy these eggs in American Chinese markets where they are called Pine Flower Eggs.

Read more: Kate's Global Kitchen: 1000 Year Old Eggs http://www.globalgourmet.com/ggt/ggt0498/ggt040698.html#ixzz21RbbtiK4

Or you could store protein by raising chickens-it's getting trendy.

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/23/12 12:32 PM

nursemike... does a balut count? had one in the Phillipines after consuming a lot of adult beverages...

I haven't tried out my All American canner yet... wonder what a 1/2 pint of pressure canned scrambled eggs would keep like
Posted by: Denis

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/23/12 03:59 PM

I've yet to use any recipes myself, but I've started doing some reading on Chef Glenn's BackpackingChef.com site and he has some really good information on making your own backpacking food, including proteins.

You might be able to get some good idea's from him.

I checked his breakfast recipes page and this was his take on eggs:

I eat eggs almost every day at home, but eggs don’t make my backpacking foods list. Who wants to choke down reconstituted powdered eggs? To replace some of the protein that I normally get from eggs, I work dehydrated ham into my grits and rice recipes or eat ham on the side like crispy bacon.

I can't say I completely disagree, though I haven't tried using powdered eggs, I have eaten a few Mountain House dehydrated egg meals and I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea smile.

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/23/12 04:23 PM

I was thinking something like an "egg loaf"... solid jar of scrambled eggs, scooped out with an ice cream scoop
Posted by: nursemike

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/23/12 09:06 PM

nursemike... does a balut count? had one in the Phillipines after consuming a lot of adult beverages...

I haven't tried out my All American canner yet... wonder what a 1/2 pint of pressure canned scrambled eggs would keep like

You have got too much time on your hands, my friend. The canned eggs will lack the piquancy of the balut supplied by the tiny, crunchy little beak...
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/23/12 09:33 PM

The eggs would probably come out and have the texture and appearance of yellow rubber due to the pressure canning process which is very high temperature along with the cooking times required.

Growing up, my mom and grandmother would at times, can pickled eggs. Today, given the more scientific information and advances in safe canning methods, I would never can any type of eggs. You are much safer health-wise to purchase any type of canned eggs such as pickled from a commercial source.

If you are looking for ways to store protein based foods, there are much better options out there...
Posted by: hikermor

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/23/12 11:30 PM

Powdeed eggs these days are quite decent, especially when consumed with the all important hot sauce. i prefer to buy commercial products.

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/24/12 02:46 AM

thanks all... as nursemike commented, I've got way too much time on my hands...I will try canning some hot dogs though...
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/24/12 03:11 AM

thanks all... as nursemike commented, I've got way too much time on my hands...I will try canning some hot dogs though...

You ever see hot dogs that have been boiled on the stove too long? They absorb water and swell 2-3 times their size and are not all too edible...depending on how hungry you are.

Now think what would happen if you can those hot dogs at 10 lbs pressure for 90 minutes...the end result will not be a pretty picture.

There are a lot of foods that should not ever be canned and I recommend that people who get into home canning really do their research as your life can literally depend on the outcome of the final product.

The Naional Center for Home Canning is the best starting point for home canning procedures and safety.

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/24/12 04:34 AM

Teslinhiker.. thanks for the heads up... I've seen a couple of videos on the hot dogs.. no water just canned hotdogs, like a large vienna sausage...
Posted by: spuds

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/25/12 12:04 AM

A friend canned up a bunch of meatloaf in pint jars,says it downright good eating.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/26/12 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Powdeed eggs these days are quite decent, especially when consumed with the all important hot sauce. i prefer to buy commercial products.

Here's what you need. Can by hung around the neck, or placed on a keychain for EDC..
Posted by: hikermor

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/26/12 12:27 PM

No question that those petite bottles of Tabasco are the greatest thing that has happened to MREs; they are useful for lots of other applications. But I am a hot sauce snob - my favorite commercial product is El Pato red hot suace - muy sabrosa! (may not be readily available in Minn)
Posted by: spuds

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/26/12 09:19 PM

I met a McIlhenny in the Navy,very proud of the product and a nice kid,good folks to support with your purchases.Wonder if still a family business?
Posted by: Alex

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/26/12 10:41 PM

A little off topic: AFAIK, initially, hot spices were invented not to preserve or flavor the food, but to hide unpleasant smell and taste of a meal's component (i.e. meat), which is a little behind its "shelf life end" being stored in hot climate. In a survival situation such a hot sauce as Tabasco may effectively hide the rotting/decomposing food smell and taste, which would warn you that something is wrong with your food otherwise.
Posted by: BamaLover

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/27/12 05:38 AM

Don't do it unless they will be pickled in vinegar and only then if you do it properly. Your vacuum sealer will only remove the air, it won't preserve them.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: hard boiled eggs - 07/27/12 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Alex
A little off topic: AFAIK, initially, hot spices were invented not to preserve or flavor the food, but to hide unpleasant smell and taste of a meal's component (i.e. meat), which is a little behind its "shelf life end" being stored in hot climate. In a survival situation such a hot sauce as Tabasco may effectively hide the rotting/decomposing food smell and taste, which would warn you that something is wrong with your food otherwise.

You are are correct about the spices, but there's another factor: the organisms that cause decay are different from the organisms that cause food bourne illness (food poisoning). Those bacteria such as Clostridium botulinum, Listeria, and Salmonella emit powerful toxins that cannot be tasted or smelled. Cooking does not remove the toxins.

Fresh looking/smelling food can be deadly, and rotting food could be OK. I once consumed partially rotted ungulate bodily fluid..... "Cheddar" I think they called it.