Massive solar flare!

Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Massive solar flare! - 01/24/12 11:44 PM

As we approach solar maximum in a couple of years, can we expect communications and GPS interruptions?

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/01/24/sol...d-flight-paths/
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Massive solar flare! - 01/25/12 01:11 AM

It is certainly a possibility as we approach the solar maximum. We should get some advance warning, as in this storm.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Massive solar flare! - 01/25/12 02:21 PM

But the hams on HF will be very pleased :-).
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Massive solar flare! - 01/25/12 05:54 PM

Discussion at work suggests that Aurora Borealis might be visible as far south as Colorado.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Massive solar flare! - 01/25/12 06:52 PM

Really neat Aurora last night around 3 a.m. Thought I would get skunked, but the sky cleared after midnight. Covered about 2/3 of the sky. All green (sometimes we get red/purple), but it was impressive to distinctly see the shape and N/S alignment of the magnetic field as the colours travelled along them in the night sky.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Massive solar flare! - 01/25/12 07:10 PM

I have read that some long-range airline flights over the polar region were re-routed as a precaution.

Re: Massive solar flare! - 01/25/12 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney
I have read that some long-range airline flights over the polar region were re-routed as a precaution.

Probably not a direct hazard to the aircraft themselves, but communications might be dicey over the pole. I imagine that's a no-no in civil aviation.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Massive solar flare! - 01/25/12 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Probably not a direct hazard to the aircraft themselves, but communications might be dicey over the pole. I imagine that's a no-no in civil aviation.

Besides the communications issue, due to the shape of the protective magnetic field around the Earth, the people on the planes flying near the poles are also exposed to more radiation than usual.

Re: Massive solar flare! - 01/26/12 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Arney
Besides the communications issue, due to the shape of the protective magnetic field around the Earth, the people on the planes flying near the poles are also exposed to more radiation than usual.

Interesting point, I never thought of that.

"Stewardess, my G&T is glowing! That's brilliant, bring me another!" (Bad joke.)

Perhaps we're not accustomed to airlines showing concern with public safety issues that are beyond litigation. Still, as a guarded optimist, I would hope that this is true.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Massive solar flare! - 01/26/12 03:59 AM

For some pictures:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/images-from-space/2012/01/12/gIQAH8i3vP_photo.html?hpid=z6#photo=1

Re: Massive solar flare! - 01/26/12 05:41 PM

I was hoping for another look at the aurora last night, but the sky socked in with a deep overcast toward midnight. Oh well.

Re airliners: this article suggests that the rerouting of airliners from their normal polar routes was due to communication issues.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/25/...ve-solar-storm/
Posted by: Meadowlark

Re: Massive solar flare! - 02/15/12 01:00 AM

Out of curiosity, would a PLU be affected, say, in the southern hemisphere? I only ask because I'm planning several multi-day hikes in New Zealand next year...

Re: Massive solar flare! - 02/22/12 12:24 AM

Bump!

Looks like we're heading into a very active cycle. Not a big concern, just some very interesting night skies.

Check out the photo in this local news story:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Danc...1361/story.html

Re: Massive solar flare! - 03/08/12 03:22 AM

Here we go again!

The sun kicked out two big solar flares/CMEs. The first is scheduled to reach Earth on Thursday, March 8.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/News030712-X5-4.html
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Massive solar flare! - 03/08/12 02:37 PM

we're all gonna die!

time to start the panic.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Massive solar flare! - 03/08/12 03:07 PM

My local ARES group sent out a couple of well thought-out emails on the subject. This CME is likely to have significant impact on HF propagation. Satellites may be disrupted, and there's a possible radiation hazard to high-altitude aircraft. However, the solar weather forecasters appear to have changed their minds about its likely impact upon long power transmission wires.

Re: Massive solar flare! - 03/08/12 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ILBob
we're all gonna die!

time to start the panic.

LOL! I'm taking off my tinfoil hat and wearing an ammo can instead! laugh
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Massive solar flare! - 03/08/12 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: ILBob
we're all gonna die!

time to start the panic.

LOL! I'm taking off my tinfoil hat and wearing an ammo can instead! laugh

ROTF!! That just made my day!

We had some weird power flickers here this morning and one of my co-workers was convinced that Bob's theory is bang on. I said something to the effect of taking cover. She didn't appreciate it very much.