Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes

Posted by: dweste

Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/14/08 03:12 AM

I am looking at ways to store clothes and shoes in containers. I need to be able to access and re-store them failrly easily, but need to protect them from water, dust, etc. It would be nice to have see-through storage. I do not need rodent/bear/pest protection.

All the Rubbermaid-type storage seems to lack secure, waterproof closure.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/14/08 03:44 AM

Paper File Storage boxes are reasonably waterproof and inexpensive having lockable lids.

They should be available at your local Staples or office supplies store.

If you want complete waterproofness then your items such as clothes and shoes can be stored in a large drybags such as those manufactured by Ortlieb then placed into the plastic storage boxes.

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/14/08 04:13 AM

All the clear containers I've used are more brittle and expensive than rubbermaid stuff.

I use the old style rubbermaid tubs for camping as well as storage in outdoor sheds. Sheds water and squirrels very well, and does a decent job of resisting moisture/dust.

If the stuff inside is particularly moisture-sensitive, I pack it in one or two Glad clear garden bags (avoid cheap imitations). That way I can hoik out the entire bag and figure out where my spare shoes went.

The stuff you put in bags has to be reasonably dry or it will "compost" while you're not looking.

I'm not sure my method would survive the sinking of the Titanic, but then I'm a heckuva long way from the ocean. :-)
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/14/08 09:17 AM

Try ordinary giant ziplock bags. I like to pack my clothes in 2 1/2 gallon bags when I travel so it will survive if rained on. If you need something rigid you can always pack them inside Rubbermaid bins.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/14/08 01:21 PM

That is what I was gonna say. Those big ziplocs are great for storing clothes, etc. Once sealed, you can put the bags of clothes into whatever container you happen to have handy...
Posted by: BobS

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/14/08 10:37 PM

I second the 5 gal plastic pail, they are tough and I get a lot of them free. Well kinda free, I have to buy the soap and cleaning powders that are in the buckets. I have 3-gal, 5-gal and 7-gal buckets.

Ask for them at restaurants, pickles and all kinds of food come in them.
Posted by: Bill_G

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/14/08 11:04 PM

Are you looking for storage on land or on your boat? The answer will potentially lead to different approaches.

On land - hard containers (multiples of the same for stacking, etc) will be an option. On water - you might will be better served w/ soft containers you can put in small areas (under bunks, small closets, nooks and crannies, etc). There a many different types of water proof containers available. It all depends on your needs. I would not trust my valuables to "ziplock" bags. They are not sturdy enough, IMHO, to stand up to the rigors to life at sea. You might chack into some cruising forums to get ideas from them for onboard storage.

One item I would recommend is ALOKSAK (www.aloksak.com. I have used some of their smaller bags and have been pleased. (Disclaimer - No, I have no affiliation w/ them.) Just some things to consider.

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/15/08 12:07 AM

Bill_G and others, good thoughts and questions.

I am primarily thinking about gear that will wind up on a boat. These are resources I have been studying:

http://cruisingresources.com/Waterproof_Boxes_and_Bags

http://store.thewaterproofstore.com/

If I was thinking land based I might check this some more:

http://neatcontainers.com/shop/index.php?cPath=2

I like freezer-style Ziplocks but have experienced too many holes and tears that made themselves know in unfortunate ways. I am looking to upgrade.

Right now drybags with transparent panels are looking pretty good - and, yes, I will probably use Ziplocks inside the drybags!

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/15/08 01:51 AM

Bakeries are a good source too, and they smell better than pickle buckets...
Posted by: adam2

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/15/08 06:56 AM

It depends on what degree of waterproofing is required, long term outdoor storage? or in a shed, loft or garage that you hope is weathertight, but might not be in extreme or exceptional conditions.

I have large stocks of clothing, footwear, blankets and other similar goods.
These are stored in large plastic crates, which are probably watertight, in a loft or roof space that is also probably weatherproof. As an additional and very cheap defence against water damage, each crate is covered with a piece of tarp cut to cover the top and about halfway down the sides, this being secured with bungee cord.

I keep large stocks not just of true survival supplies but of everday clothing, linens etc.
Although the world might end suddenly, I feel a slow slide into the second great deppresion is more likely.
Remember that in the 1930s foodstuffs, clothes, shoes, blankets etc were readily available in the shops, but many went cold, hungry and unshod for want of money to buy these articles.
It could happen again.

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/15/08 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: adam2
It depends on what degree of waterproofing is required,

100% waterproof. Easily accessible and re-closable over and over again,; daily use.

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/15/08 01:08 PM

I just ordered some stuff from the Waterproof Store. Haven't used the produce yet, but their service was great...
Posted by: comms

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/15/08 01:28 PM

I use the Sea To Summit dry bags with e-vent technology. The design is such that when you roll it shut and it waterproof to the outside elements, you can squeeze the bag so all the air goes out of it and it creates a vacuum seal around the clothes/items.

Great bag.

I use Alosak too but have had them open when jostled around my backpack. I switched to a smaller Sea To Summit dry bag size, (8 liter)in my backpack for when a rain hits unexpectedly. When not in use it rolls up to about the size of a skinny doughnut.
Posted by: silent_weapon

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/15/08 01:37 PM

These are waterproof and have a great warranty (large lock & lock boxes). Not sure what size your looking for but they are durable. I've never seen this large of size before, but I've used the smaller variety for various purposes and like them.

http://www.amazon.com/Lock-38-cup-Rectan...0429&sr=8-6

Maybe even better yet and larger, (clear 5 gallon bucket)

http://www.amazon.com/5-Gallon-Clear-Pla...0783&sr=8-1

with gamma seal lids

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=24&product%5Fid=20669

-Silent

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/15/08 05:10 PM

Now if they made rectangular clear plastic "buckets" in a couple different sizes that accepted Gamma lids ....

Edit: And at least one of the sizes was like a file storage box - letter file size one way and legal file size the other.

By the way, several years ago I began using a PVC pipe storage rack for file storage boxes that a friend found in the Skymall magazine. Turns out to be the handiest, most compact storage - highly recommended, though I did not check to see if they even sell it anymore. Paired with waterproof file storage boses this would be a pretty superior storage system.

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/18/08 02:14 AM

Trying Spacebags with integrated hangers for hanging clothes on suggestions from several on various forums, thanks folks. Got a couple standard Spacebags to see how they work for towels, etc. I will report.

Going with freezer Ziplocks inside duffels for soft stuff and freezer Ziplocks inside plastic tubs with snap-type lids for tools and supplies.

Shoes and boots are nested without any Ziplocks in the same type of plastic tubs with snap-type lids. Should I reconsider and put each shoe / boot in a Ziplock?

Wish I had more desiccant packs.
Posted by: Raspy

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/18/08 04:35 AM

I would recommend a multi-level set up. Spacebags are one. In essence they are large extra heavy duty multiple thickness zip lock bags. They have a close able check valve designed to be hooked up to a vacuum cleaner to remove the air. Removing the air helps them pack smaller. Also being vacuum packed Helps keep the close fresher and lessens the chance of mold and mildew.

If what you store in them can with stand crushing like clothes. You can be evacuated by merely putting a lot of weight on the bag. [I.E. put a board on it and sit on it.]

This could be done with any zip lock type bag or several bags to equal the thickness of the Spacebags.

Then these bags would be placed in buckets or Rubbermaid style totes. The bags supply waterproofing. The tote would protect the bags from punctures. They also provide uniform packages, stackability and ease of handling.

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/18/08 09:45 AM

Well, Spacebags are fun. My suits, sport jackets, jackets, and I suspect shirts are too long for the suit bags, though my slacks fit fine. Back to the store to get "dress bags."
Posted by: Stein

Re: Waterproof storage of clothes and shoes - 08/19/08 06:21 PM

I know there are some huge ziploc type bags on the market that you can reuse. There are also those zipper bags with the valves that you hook to your vacuum to suck the air out. I think they market them for out of season clothes storage.