Anyone else have this problem?

Posted by: Blast

Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 03:48 AM

When my cursor touchs a thread topic suddenly text pops up covering it like so:

It happens in both Internet Explorer and Apple's Safari browser. It's a real PITA.

I appreciate the improved abilities and security of this software upgrade but sometimes it seems like buggy betaware. Maybe it's my imagination but it also seems like there's a lot fewer posts since the upgrade occured...

-Blast
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 03:58 AM

I'm almost afraid to answer this, it might curse me, but no, that is one problem I don't seem to have...
Posted by: big_al

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 04:04 AM

Blast
Yep me also, same problem in windows xp
Posted by: Alex

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 04:10 AM

Me too. Firefox, WinXP. Very annoying. But only in Active Topics list.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 04:41 AM

I'm running Safari, and I don't seem to be having that problem, but I have seen it in other forums where there's a rollover that shows a preview of the first post in a thread. Is that what it's doing?
Posted by: FRERAD1776

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 04:49 AM

I run Safari and I do have the problem.
Posted by: camerono

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 05:45 AM

No problem for me....but as far as posts I agree a little thin lately. I know I am still experimenting. I dislike not knowing who has responded to a post without opening it.

Example. Blast you are always fun to read so alot of times I would read a post first that you have commented on. Among a few other people as well.

Anyhoo my 2 cents
Posted by: smitty

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Alex
Me too. Firefox, WinXP. Very annoying. But only in Active Topics list.

Same here.

smitty
Posted by: frenchy

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 09:45 AM

aargh.........!!!!

I was tempted to answer "not yet" as a joke !

But reading the other answers to your post, Blast, I thought I had not yet used the "Active Topics" button.
So I tried it and ... bingo !
I DO have the same problem (IE6, W2000 pro) ...
Posted by: norad45

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 12:05 PM

It does it to me. It's awful hard on the eyes.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 12:50 PM

I haven't seen it yet. *crosses fingers* Firefox on XP and SuSe.

The longer the "update" is here, the less functional it seems to get. I know it's more secure, but erratic functionality and torqued off users is worse IMPO.

EDIT: HTMLSpinner, please don't take that personally. I know it isn't you, it's the software. I think UBB might be pushing it out the door before it is debugged. Or are we actually doing pre-release testing? smile
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 01:44 PM

yep, same same on firefox.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 03:47 PM

Not sure there's an option to turn that off either, but I noticed it as well. It may be a CSS/Style Sheet issue where the pop-up should have a background. Unfortunately, I'm not strong in those areas so it's going to take a while to figure out.

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 04:04 PM

HTMLSpinner,

Thank you very, very much!

-Blast

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 05:35 PM

Thanks Spinner, It apears you would be doing a lot of us a favor.

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 05:40 PM

Blast:
On your profile, should that say "New Member ?" or is part of it missing and it should read "New Member in the Family??"

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/02/07 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: big_al
Blast:
On your profile, should that say "New Member ?" or is part of it missing and it should read "New Member in the Family??"

Alas, that's a left-over tag from several previous software "upgrades". I joined in 2002 as the 120th member of this board yet until just recently it listed me as "newbie". I asked Chris to change it to "Master Mistake Maker" but I guess he blipped over my request.

-Blast

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/03/07 12:05 AM

Each user can change their "title" in their profile, look under My Stuff, My Profile for "Custom Title".
Posted by: marduk

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/03/07 04:19 AM

Yep, same problem. Only on active topics. Windows XP and Firefox.

Also I have to log in twice to log in for real.

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/03/07 08:23 AM

There was no style defined for the popup, I've added background and border to it so now it "covers" the other text. I don't see a way to disable it, so at least it's now a bit more readable, and usable. Enjoy!
Posted by: Westwindmike

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/03/07 03:25 PM

Thanks Spinnr,
That really helps. If you find a way to disable it, let us know.

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/03/07 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
EDIT: HTMLSpinnr (no 'e'), please don't take that personally. I know it isn't you, it's the software. I think UBB might be pushing it out the door before it is debugged. Or are we actually doing pre-release testing? smile

I don't take it personally, I just install what's provided, and this is a fairly "stock" installation. What it means to me is that their product was about 95% ready as installed (pessimistically from their eyes), and you have to tweak the other 25% (from our POV).

In the end, we all get what we pay for.

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/04/07 12:06 AM

I found the code in the template and "commented" it out (still appears in the source in case the majority changes their mind). It's not a user selectable feature, so I've disabled it globally. I hope those who want it off outnumber those who want it on, if not, I'm sure we'll hear about it!
Posted by: Alex

Re: Anyone else have this problem? - 03/04/07 04:33 AM

It works! Thank you a lot!