Magfire Buying Opportunity

Posted by: MartinFocazio

Magfire Buying Opportunity - 10/05/05 04:31 PM

I have an opportunity to purchase a quantity of Magfire Fire Steels direct from the manufacturer in Finland.

I have one of these, I picked it up in Finland, it's truly the best firesteel ever made, end of discussion. You can't buy them in the USA from any store and if you want to buy them from the UK, the shipping cost is HUGE.
Your basic Magfire will give you about 3,000 strikes, is light, small and fits neatly on a keychain. The Magfire pro is a bit bigger, and gives you 12,000 strikes. It's still small enough for a keychain.
Both models are super-tough, easy to use, and most importantly, they generate a HUGE and HOT (5,600 Degrees F) spark that WILL LIGHT A FIRE .
They (Magfire) are leting me place a small order - they usually require an order in the THOUSANDS of units - but because I asked nicely, they will sell me a TRIAL amount in the DOZENS of units.

Before I place the order with Magfire, I'd like to get a sense of if anyone here would like to buy one (or two, or three...), so I set up a page on my "equipped" personal pages to collect "preorders".

http://www.focazio.com/equipped - just click on Magfire Preorders if you think you would buy one if I had them now. I also have an order page set up - but no Magfires to ship just yet - so unless you feel like waiting until November for me to ship, don't actually order one - just preorder one. This will help me figure out how many to order so I'm not out too much cash up front.

Over & Out

Re: Magfire Buying Opportunity - 10/06/05 02:47 AM

OK, although nobody on this list pre-ordered, I got about 36 preorders from other folks, which means that the first order will be going in next week. If you want to get one or two of these, you'll have until Monday Afternoon, Eastern USA time, to let me know so I order enough to go around. I'm not ordering any spares, just what people say they wanted. see http://www.focazio.com/equipped to preorder yours if you want one or two.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Magfire Buying Opportunity - 10/06/05 03:29 AM

I have a couple of these and they an excellent.
It surprises me that they aren't available in the US already. They are available here (Australia) in most good camping stores.
I paid a fraction more for the small size than you are charging for the large size.

PS. I think your site is a good idea.

Re: Magfire Buying Opportunity - 10/06/05 03:49 AM

Magfire
aks Kershaw brand knives.......sells same thing as their own firestarter
can get it at smoky mountian knife works
was just there and got one for 8 buck about 4 days ago.

Re: Magfire Buying Opportunity - 10/06/05 03:56 AM

here is the link
i got 2 ......works great.........seems to be the same item you have mentioned??
if not, its a great alternative
Posted by: groo

Re: Magfire Buying Opportunity - 10/06/05 09:35 PM

When I first read this, I dismissed it as just another fire steel. But it looks like this uses a different kind of metal? How does it compare to an ordinary fire steel? And is it too late to order a couple?

Posted by: widget

Why not get them here? In the USA? - 10/07/05 01:29 AM

Moosineer gear
Posted by: groo

Re: Why not get them here? In the USA? - 10/07/05 01:46 AM

Because I _think_ (but don't know for sure at this point) that the Magfire fire steel is a different alloy. Sounds like it produces hotter sparks.

Re: Why not get them here? In the USA? - 10/08/05 12:25 AM

Because that's not a Magfire. The Magfire is made in Finland, not Sweden, and I've had both, and the magfire is hotter, lasts longer and is more durable.

Re: Magfire Buying Opportunity - CLARIFICATION - 10/08/05 12:28 AM

1. These are MAGFIRE brand, made by MAGFIRE in Finland. I've had all the other firesteels - including the Swedish Model - and the Magfire kicks butt over all of them.

2. You can't buy them in the USA. I tried. I ended up on the phone with the manufacturer in Finland, they are looking for a USA sales agent and distributor. You can't buy them from anyone in the USA right now. You can buy them online from stores in the UK and pay $20 a package for shipping alone.

3. Yes, I'm still taking preorders. www.focazio.com/equipped

Re: Magfire Buying Opportunity - 10/08/05 12:29 AM

Yeah, they are fantastic. That's what I'm trying to get across here.
Posted by: widget

Re: Why not get them here? In the USA? - 10/08/05 01:42 AM

oh, OK, thought they were pretty much the same thing. We all appreciate your efforts to bring us some first-rate gear:) Thanks for the answer too!

Magfire Buying Opportunity STATUS REPORT - 10/13/05 07:21 PM

The order went in Tuesday, for delivery via Fedex. They are backordered on the Magfire PRO, but I did manage to get an order in for the Magfire. Depending on customs nonsense, they should arrive early next week, at which time thos who sent me a "preorder" will get an email directing them to the web site to make an actual order. From that point, I'll drop them in the mail - priority mail I think is the best compromise of fast enough and cheap enough.

Just want folks to know what's up.

Preorders still open: www.focazio.com/equipped