My first buck saw (DIY) and upside-down fire

Posted by: kevingg

My first buck saw (DIY) and upside-down fire - 05/29/14 02:40 AM

This past weekend was our first weekend with the family at the campground. Not exactly wilderness camping but great family fun nonetheless! Hosted a few friends/families one evening so decided to go with the "upside down fire". My neighbor, a marine, said "this goes against everything I've ever learned about fire". I must say it is one of the hottest and greatest coal-producing fire lays out there.

Wanted a buck saw after seeing one in use repeatedly in skog's videos. I decided to make my own and studied lots of internet material. This is what I came up with. Made with some oak from Home Depot. It's got a slit up each upright and folds to completely cover the blade without having to disconnect the blade. I shaved it down to get weight around a pound and treated with linseed oil to bring out the grain. I didn't document this process in the same detail as I am my first axe restore, but I'll post some dimensions and detail when time allows. This photo was taken in the yard when I gave the saw a real test. Lots of tree limbing to get more sun out back. 4-6" branches cut off then sectioned for firewood. I was quite pleased!
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: My first buck saw (DIY) and upside-down fire - 05/29/14 04:12 AM

Nice!

I suspect the success of an upside-down fire has something to do with the type of wood, and more importantly, the dryness of the wood. With softwoods that are not kiln dry, for example, I think it would flop.

Enjoyed the traditional bucksaw design. Nicely done. Always wanted to make one out of field materials. What did you use for the tensioning material? The antiques used a heavy, stiff wire. I'm not sure what other material would be suitable. If the tension is too low, or the material to springy, it would be easy to put a nasty kink in the blade, and then you're sunk.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: My first buck saw (DIY) and upside-down fire - 05/29/14 05:02 AM

I generally build an upside down fire every time.
Posted by: Deathwind

Re: My first buck saw (DIY) and upside-down fire - 05/29/14 01:52 PM

I must admit my ignorance as to what an upside down fire is.

Re: My first buck saw (DIY) and upside-down fire - 05/29/14 02:35 PM

Paracord. Works magnificently.

Re: My first buck saw (DIY) and upside-down fire - 05/29/14 02:36 PM

Built with bigger wood at bottom and progressively smaller wood to the top. The coals from the small fire atop will fall down into the voids and start the lower wood. Feeds on itself.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: My first buck saw (DIY) and upside-down fire - 05/30/14 02:44 PM

Double nice - saw and fire. Thanks for sharing!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: My first buck saw (DIY) and upside-down fire - 05/30/14 04:30 PM

Why not have it both ways? Place bigger pieces both above and below the initial ignition point....

Beautiful job on the saw.....
Posted by: Deathwind

Re: My first buck saw (DIY) and upside-down fire - 05/31/14 06:38 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Kevinigg