Which Watch to Buy??

Posted by: LRSRDOC

Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/21/10 07:49 PM

Looking for my last my lifetime watch. But I need advice on what to buy. My sight is not what it use to be so thinking of something with the date cyclops and luminus, looking to spend around $800.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/21/10 08:21 PM

Check out some of the Invicta Russian Diver watches. Far less than $800 and about 50-52mm across. Sam's Club may have one their quartz versions.

Standard Disclaimer.

My $.02
Posted by: comms

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/21/10 09:06 PM

Well lifetime last watch is sort of a tough push. The best luminuswatches IMHO is Luminox brand. But they have a decade half life. I can vouch for that. Citizen Eco drivers are good. I have that one too. It's powered by light. But like all luminuswatches YMMV on how long the hand brightness lasts in darkness, couple hours, vs all night. Timex ironmans are great decade lasting digitals with large faces but are not $800 watches. Great electroluminesence. Status watch like tag, rolex, invicta, et al seem to have great longevity but I think ur losing night viewing.

I'm always looking for a new watch. Interested in what others say.
Posted by: widget

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/21/10 11:38 PM

Here you go, I have a couple of these and they are an excellent value. With the Euro right now, they will be about $440 shipped.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.php?id=67&artnr=2&Sel_ID=9#2
Posted by: sybert777

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/21/10 11:43 PM

I have an old Wenger Military watch given to me by my grandpa, I am really impressed with the luminosity! all except the numbers stay lit up when I get up. I recently broke it and havent got to repair it yet, I really want to have it back, back working!
Posted by: timo

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/22/10 12:06 AM

If I were going to spend that amount of money I would seriously consider a MKII watch.

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/Home.jsp

MKII's are essentially custom made to your order using very high quality parts, including swiss ETA automatic movements. You basically choose a case style first, then you can choose the face (dial), bezel insert and even the hands.

Automatics will never, EVER need a battery of any kind, although you will need to wear them to wind them and it's recommended that you service the movement every few years with a competent watch maker.

Also, I don't see a date cyclops option and the lume won't compare to an "illuminating" watch. On the other hand I can't think of a mass produced watch of any kind or type, under $500 meeting my criteria for a "lifetime" watch.

Vintage Rolex Submariners are very nice but prices are creeping up now.
There is also the Seiko SKX007 Diver series...far below your price limit but extremely durable and long lasting. Not to mention the classic styling.

I could go on and on about the Seiko SKX007 if you're interested...

You can tell by now my bias is towards analog automatic, dive-style watches with high legibility and legitimate waterproofness. Basically I got sick and tired of replacing batteries in a long string of digital and quartz analogs. The only one that ever lasted was an original Casio G-Shock DW-5600. But I can't wear that with a suit and tie...

Frankly, I'm saving up for a MKII LLRP with the intention of passing it on to my son after many years of enjoyment on my own wrist!

Check them out, you might find something right up your alley.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/22/10 02:11 AM

Anyone know about the maratac watches over at County Comm? They seem nice, a bit pricey, but I wonder at their durability.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/22/10 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
. . .You can get older model Stainless Steel "Diver" Rolex's. I have a 1965 Diver and I love it.
Got my Submariner in '84 and when I finally had a jeweler work on it in 2008 the cost of the rebuild was twice what I originally paid for the watch. Beautiful piece, but my Casio G-Shock keeps better time. (Love that website, note that the time displayed on the watch is correct)
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/22/10 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: comms

Citizen Eco drivers are good. I have that one too. It's powered by light.

I have one too that keeps time via WWV. Truly zero effort, never needs setting or winding. However, the LCD displays are terrible, both backlit and in all ambient light.

Even for those with good eyes this is not a watch for those who want to read the LCDs (which have date and day-of-week, and something else I can't make out).
Posted by: Rodion

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/22/10 01:03 PM

Personally, I use the Victorinox Maverick, second edition if I'm not mistaken.

Big, beautiful Arabic numbers, excellent luminous markers and arrows, date cyclops as requested + a 60 min analogue timer. Only down side is the need to replace the battery at service centers, as the seal is watertight. Well, that and the price.
Posted by: sybert777

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/22/10 03:58 PM

I have a similiar watch and I always use a pair of broken plastic dial calipers to renove the back on mine. I have never had it scratch and it lets me get to know my watch better.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/22/10 05:05 PM

Based on your price range of $800, you might end up spending more than necessary just to have more style and bragging rights. There is nothing wrong with that.

However, with modern technology, all of the functionality and ruggedness that I'll ever want can be had for less than $200. Here's my favorite watch and the one I recommend on a website like this:

G-Shock MTG900DA (about $90)

I have other watches that are more expensive. However, this watch is on my wrist 99% of the time, sets the time for all other clocks in my life, and is more rugged than any other watch I have. Two features set this watch apart from other watches I have: automatic atomic time and solar recharged battery. I never have to touch a button on this watch if all you want is the time. I've had this watch for about a year and wear it practically all the time, even during a sweaty workout, and it still looks brand new. Perhaps the best thing is that, when this watch has seen better days, I'll just replace it with another one because it's so inexpensive. I won't be taking ANY trips to the jeweler with this watch.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/22/10 08:48 PM

Second the Casio. Except the model I have, the 3366, has hands, even easier to read. Solar/atomic, no battery/no changing the time. Only thing is to chage to DST on the appropriate day. I leave mine in the window overnight once a week (if I remember) to doublecheck the time. As mine has a plastic/rubber watchband, it was about $110 at Wally world.

Super simple to use, super cheap to own, no maintenance, no batteries.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/23/10 11:00 AM

sorry to steal the thread, but can anyone testify to Omega watches? i think the speedmaster is gorgeous; got everything you could really need in a watch but still has wonderfully understated style. timepiece of choice for the space program seems like a positive vote as well.
Posted by: Tarzan

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/23/10 06:09 PM

The truly sad fact is, outside of a wrist mounted sundial, there is no watch I have yet found that is guaranteed to last through your lifetime and become an heirloom.
I have a Seiko 7N43-6111 that has lasted over eight years on the battery in it, but it still needs a battery on occasion. It seems to handle water just fine. I have dived all the islands in Hawaii as well as multiple swimming pools, lakes and water-skiing trips with no ill effect. It was a giveaway when I completed 15 years of employment with a previous employer.
It holds the record for longest life of any watch on my wrist. But to be fair, I no longer do any technical rope work, nor do I shoot magnum handguns or otherwise expose it to extraordinary shock forces.
Luminescence is marginal, it's probably good for about twenty minutes after light exposure. The date is impossible to read with my 50 year old eyes without the benefit of my cheaters. But it's still a pretty decent looking watch and I can wear it with a suit or shorts.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/23/10 08:29 PM

How about the Luminox 3604

Nice watch but it seems to live in a bottom draw with along with a 130 year old heirloom, since It was acquired about 2 years ago (never got around to get the the watch strap adjusted).

Otherwise a lightweight Citizen Ecodrive Titanium BM8290-05E is usually worn for casual use.

The Zenith Men's 96.0529.4035/51.M Defy Xtreme Tourbillon Titanium Chronograph Watch on Amazon Amazon gets mixed reviews though, despite the price, although the $57,290 of the RRP is sure to make it a bargain for someone, despite the fact that it probably won't be as accurate as the Citizen Eco-Drive for $140 wink

The watch also appears to be a little tricky to tell the time as well. whistle

Posted by: comms

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/23/10 10:03 PM

Boy Sieko sure comes up a lot. My dad has worn the same Sieko for 30 years. I'd like it someday ad an hierloom.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/23/10 11:00 PM

Watches? What watches? We don' need no steenkin' watches. If I want to know what the time really is, I just look at my GPS. The time displayed there is insanely accurate.

Of course, I don't always have my GPS working, so I do have a cheap Casio ($50 or so) on my wrist. It has a very decent compass as a backup, as well.

Someday I imagine the marketers will bling up the GPS receivers, so that one can purchase a diamond encrusted titanium model- just what an anxiously awaiting world needs.
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/24/10 08:43 AM

Cell phones have perfectly good clocks. Watches are mostly fashion & jewelry. People saying something about themselves - which is why mine has a slide-rule. cool

The main problem I have with a $$$ watch is that it goes wherever my wrist goes, and that's not an easy life. Wrist-bands have never lasted long, although this Citizen has held up thus far.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/24/10 11:13 AM

My probelm is that I usually end up abusing the heck out of mine too. I have gone through a lot of watches-my favorite was my Suunto Vector, which didnt survive my last deployment in 04. That being said, I am a big fan of simple Timex watches. I have a nice dress watch I paid $50 for, the watch is grey metal, and has an analog face. I also use a Timex Expedition watch of some sort for field use-I paid $30 for. The upside is, if either of them get trashed, I am OK with it. I can replace a $50 watch a LOT easier than a $300 watch. Ultimately, I need it to tell time. The date is nice too. Other than that, I dont really need a watch to do anything else. So, I dont want to pay for all those gizmos.

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/24/10 12:26 PM

Casio G-Shock watches have never failed me. I have two in use now, one rather nice like the one in ireckon's post and the other a standard black solar model without the atomic time function. There are times when pulling out a cell phone or GPS to check the time is not practical while a simple wrist movement can put a timepiece in front of your face.
Posted by: timo

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/25/10 04:30 AM

Perhaps we need to revisit the original post and take note that someone is willing to spend up to $800 dollars for something that he intends to last a good long while.

We can't presume that he's going to abuse that costly a watch the same way any of us would treat a G-Shock.

My position was simply that for that amount of money, he's in territory that opens him up to a lot more choices.

Don't mistake my intent here. One of my favorite watches is my Casio G-Shock DW-5600. It's original BR2032 battery lasted over 11 years. Yes, it really did. I love that watch. But I've also always loved the simple, efficient, timeless design of the Rolex Submariner. I lot of people (guys) instinctively feel this way too, but then apply a reverse snobbism once they see the price tag.

In the price range the original poster asked about we're not talking about tough, disposable watches. Plenty of easy choices there already.

We're talking about something to treat as if we really do intend for it to last a lifetime. If it's really fantastic looking to boot, is largely hand assembled, and legitimately water resistant, well those are all bonuses.

I don't wear my watches to show off. I don't care what anyone thinks. My simple pleasure is purely selfish every time I look at my Seiko Divers. It would remain that way even if I were the only person on earth.
And that is something you just don't get when wearing something you're considering a plastic "time appliance".

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/25/10 01:29 PM

Good point, but after having gone through a Rolex rebuild, I can tell you that while they're tough, they won't run forever. . .without a Rolex certified jeweler. Don't get me wrong, after years of not wearing it because it would not stay wound enough to keep time (during which time I started wearing G-Shocks), I had mine rebuilt and it came back running better than new. However, it cost plenty and required new factory parts.

The Rolex waterproof is only good for the life of the seals DOHH, mine were 15-20 years out of cert and there was slight humidity damage to the face and hands. I have a feeling that all watches in this class need occasional TLC or they too will go TU.

Meanwhile, my Casio just keeps on keeping great time. $.02
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 05/25/10 03:57 PM

I'd like to point out that we are having this discussion at The Survival Forum. A fair assumption is that the original poster will use the watch in harsh conditions on a regular basis. With modern technology, there is no more ruggedness achieved after one has spent about $200 on a rugged watch (e.g., G-Shock). It's important to make this point because perhaps the original poster or others came here unfamiliar with this concept.

I've heard arguments about why it's necessary to spend about $800 or more to get a truly lifetime watch. I have not been convinced because the caveat is that such a watch, if put through the elements, must undergo regular expensive maintenance at a certified jeweler. In the 1960's, I suppose such a watch would pass for being "lifetime". However, I don't consider such a label to be legitimate in the year 2010. By the way, I do own some overly priced, rugged watches.
Posted by: saniterra

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 06/16/10 01:32 AM

I've got a drawer full of watches that have failed me - nice Seiko's and an expensive Wenger LST Field Chronograph. But I am in the same boat insofar as vision is concerned. I have finally ended up with an analog Casio diver's watch, quartz movement, battery powered with an led that lights up the watch face. So far, it keeps good time and has not failed me. If it does, for $45, I'll throw it away and get another one. It's a MDV102-1AV model, waterproof to 200 meters and fairly shockproof, I hope. See it at MDV102-1AV http://www.amazon.com/Casio-MDV102-1AV-Analog-Illuminator-Watch/dp/B00134JNM8. I got rid of the cheesy rubber strap and replaced it with a black Maratac strap. Looks fine to me, but I don't have to worry about anyone examining my wrist while I reach over the table for a spoonful of Beluga.
Posted by: saniterra

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 06/17/10 02:29 PM

I apologize for my comment above about my watch being seen while I'm reaching over for the Beluga. It was unnecessarily snarky. Who am I to negatively comment on those who like expensive watches. I'm the same way about firearms. Again, my apologies.
Posted by: chickenlittle

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 06/17/10 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: saniterra
... I'm the same way about firearms. Again, my apologies.

Not nice to be excessively snarky to people with firearms.

Anyway, I agree with the idea of buying cheap but tough watches.
Modern quartz watches are so accurate that the extreme machining of mechanical chronographs is moot and they are obsolete.
(unless you expect to be unable to get batteries)

So Cardinal or Timex quartz and the only question is digital or analog.
I like analog for day to day and for things like taking pulses.
I like digital for stop watch and for navigation uses.

Posted by: pezhead

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 06/17/10 05:46 PM

I like my Timex currently one of the Expeditions. It's analog & digital. I have an Early Winters Last Watch from many years ago. Lifetime guarntee. It broke where the pin holds the band on the watch. Long story short they didn't carry it so they wouldn't replace it.
One of these days I might try to build it up & drill a new hole for the pin.
I personally find analogs easier to read.
Posted by: chickenlittle

Re: Which Watch to Buy?? - 06/17/10 10:12 PM

Izzy, it usually means it is time to replace the battery when they start doing that.