Just what we needed ... another snowstorm

Posted by: Mark_F

Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 05:10 AM

Just what we needed, another snowstorm dumping 6 to 12 inches of snow within a 24 hour period. I know for some that doesn't sound like much but it is quite a bit for us. Especially after the last storm a week before Christmas that left thousands without power; some didn't get it back until after new years. Fortunately this will be a drier snow so widespread power outages are not expected. Although I can hear the snow plows going by outside. Well I got plenty of food, firewood, and other refreshments so I'll just snuggle with DW and DS and enjoy a weekend of ... cleaning house? Oh well, gotta keep DW happy too. laugh Hope the powewr stays on this time though.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 05:33 AM

Stay warm.
Posted by: leemann

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 06:04 AM

Stay warm too.

Lee
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 01:11 PM

I have lived in the Northland my whole life, and I still get a thrill when I see a heavy snowfall out my window. There's just something about being safe, warm, and well stocked in a blizzard. Eventually though, the moment ends and you have to shovel out. Be careful not to wrench your back when shovelling.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 02:37 PM

i was really put off by the rotten shape the side streets are in Mpls.some are like mountain tracks with large frozen lumps of slush that batter the car around when you drive--very slow--over them..and the cold--it's 1F right now...but..then i hear that down in OK,which i think of as South,they are up to their ear's in snow with thousands without power.!!!
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 03:37 PM

We're delighted! It's gorgeous outside and the heavier snows are still to come this afternoon.

Am polishing off a mug of coffee and then we'll be heading out to the National Mall for a photo safari.

This city is never more beautiful, serene and friendly than during a snowstorm.

But we ran out of milk and eggs this morning. Am trying to ward off the panic run to Costco....

Posted by: JBMat

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 04:15 PM

Having a fun time here, lots of ice, little snow. But we were prepared.

New fun time, watching out the kitchen windows at the drivers attempting to climb a semi-steep hill. Tough to get a run up without traction, it's a double hill (my cul-de-sac road is in the dip, hills on both sides. Tally so far is 4 off the road, one slid backwards into another.

I called the police and DOT. So far the roads still open. No snow plows or sanders in sight. They "brine" here and it's not working at all.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 05:40 PM

We caught quite a bit of snow last night ourselves.

Stay safe and warm everyone!
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 06:26 PM

HOw are you doing so far?

We were supposed to get 2 more days of rain and instead got a light drizzle for about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day.

Posted by: Andy

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Dagny

But we ran out of milk and eggs this morning. Am trying to ward off the panic run to Costco....

How will you survive?

BTW a hundred miles north of you it's just a gentle flurry. My sister is visiting from DC, she'll be happy.

P.S. Post pictures of Gidget, wouldn't be a snow storm in DC without those...
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 09:17 PM

We got 7" of snow here yesterday, which was nice after nothing but freezing rain on Thursday. Luckily the heaviest freezing rain stayed a little south of me this time.

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 10:10 PM

7 point..i'll take 20 below and four feet of snow rather than ice like that!..it's my one "home survival" issue..
Posted by: hillbilly

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/30/10 11:14 PM

we got 1/2 ice/sleet in cent ark but my wife is snowed in in NE ark with about 10" of snow on top of ice. Thankfully, plenty of power. They have chainsaw if need be.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/31/10 12:53 AM

Watching the news they said coastal Virginia, Virginia Beach Virginia, got 18" of snow. The area rarely gets snow. A light powdering once every three or four years. A couple of inches every decade or so but anything more than 6" is pretty much unheard of. This much is a historic high for the last fifty years or more.

Coastal Virginia is totally unprepared for that sort of snow. The good news is that there is a lot of military in the area and between the Army and Marines they have the vehicles that can get through to keep the main roads open and the vital services like hospitals running. Probably not enough resources to get to every house, or even subdivision, but enough to take the worse of the rough edges off.

Hang tough, stay warm, try to help any way you can.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 01/31/10 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Andy

P.S. Post pictures of Gidget, wouldn't be a snow storm in DC without those...

Delighted to! We were on the Mall for over 3 hours. I'm still thawing. High temp today was 21 degrees.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 02/01/10 02:25 AM

Dagny, glad to see you and Gidget had a nice time.

Here, we ended up with maybe 8 to 12 inches of snow, hard to tell for sure. Power stayed on but gas was off this Sunday morning. Pull the plunger, let the house warm up, re-light the water heater. I am used to it but still plan to call the gas company again to get those old regulators replaced.

Shovelling snow was no fun and DS is out of school for now. That's the biggest problem with big snows here. Main roads get cleared pretty quickly but the side roads can take a while. Fortunately we live on a main road but as long as the side roads remain ice and/or snow covered, that means no school. DS has had maybe two full weeks of school since Christmas break. If they miss too many they have to make them up at the end of the year. That stinks, especially when trying to plan weekend campouts around his homework in June. Oh well, I ramble. Everyone is warm, cozy and comfortable. I cleaned my side of the bedroom and part of DWs. Took out trash, cans and glass to be recycled, shoveled sidewalk and driveway, cleared snow off the cars, cleaned up the mess of cardboard boxes to be recycled, and even had time left over for a couple transformer battles, a couple crossbow and catapult battles, and a firemaking lesson with DS. Couple of haircuts for DS and I today and DW is very happy. And that makes me very happy too. laugh

And get your minds out of the gutter, that's not what I meant.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Just what we needed ... another snowstorm - 02/01/10 04:16 AM

In the end, we didn't do too badly. In higher elevations there was some loss of power, but it sounds like they quickly restored service.