Record snowfall in Houston

Posted by: 7point82

Record snowfall in Houston - 12/04/09 05:17 PM

Rush hour in Houston gives me the willies on a good day. I can't imagine what it's going to be like this evening.

Blast, remember to keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34274883/ns/weather/
Posted by: Blast

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/04/09 08:33 PM

I'm home contemplating a few fingers worth of Makers Mark while watching the snow fall. It's coming down hard but the weatherman's projected 5" was a wee bit premature.

Video of snow falling in my backyard here.

-Blast, who went in to work this morning ready to spend the night there...but then, I'm always ready to spend the night where ever I am.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/04/09 08:48 PM

Impressive. You going skiing later today?

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/04/09 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Impressive. You going skiing later today?

I'm thinking more along the lines of towing my kayak behind my truck. Redneck snowmobile, FTW!

-Blast

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/04/09 08:59 PM

Enjoy it Blast. As long as you're not fighting traffic to get home I would consider it a rare treat!

We've been known to tow anything from a tube (like you pull behind a boat) to an upside down car hood behind a tractor.
Posted by: Skimo

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/04/09 10:16 PM

HAHA, hooding is a great american tradition!

Since this is campfire, a snowmachine (snowmobile) pulling a lazy-boy mounted on skis is about as fun as it gets.

I wish Houston and San Antonio would send their weather North. laugh

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/04/09 11:23 PM

Alas, the snow has stopped here without any staying around. Considering we are only one good volcanic eruption away from a new ice age, I suspect I'll have another chance at snowtowyaking at some point...

-Blast
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 03:00 AM

DC is forecast to get 1-3" inches Saturday.

Gotta break out the tire chains....

So I can run to the store and buy a year's supply of toilet paper and load up on milk and eggs.

Snow forecasts are great for the supermarkets around here.

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 03:27 AM

Quote:
So I can run to the store and buy a year's supply of toilet paper and load up on milk and eggs.

And bread. It's not an official disaster unless you make French toast.

-Blast
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 03:37 AM

Well it's been more than a decade since I've been in Houston, on business, during which I almost died from excessive heat/humidity (among other excessive contributing factors).

But I have to ask: isn't ANY snowfall in Houston a record, more or less by definition?
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 04:05 AM

I was once worried about the cold weather in Ontario and Alberta....

My company then sends me to Oklahoma City.

I did Tower and High Angle rescue training for the last three days in 15 to 45 mph winds at ground level. I dropped the anemometer from 300 feet, so it needs to be uh, "re-calibrated" somewhat.

This morning's temp in OKC at 0430 when I awoke: 19º F. At the same time in Toronto, Ontario it was 39º F.

I am trying to remember what I was worried about in Canada again????
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 05:39 AM

I had 1/2 mile visibility, at times, due to snow, fog, and rain. I took and sent Blast and Stu a couple of photos of the USS TEXAS thru the snow fall.

It was much better being in Houston Ship Channel versus the roads around Houston today!!!

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Desperado

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-71_metric_e.html

Can't speak for Ontario, but I can tell you that it's getting down to business around here.

Big dump of snow, at a few degrees below freezing, so there's a slick layer of ice under the mashed-potato-stuff.

In 72 hours it'll drop down to -30C. Not counting the wind chill. An arctic high. A bracing cold. Mighty fresh.

We just keep on keepin' on. Stop by anytime. cool

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Can't speak for Ontario, but I can tell you that it's getting down to business around here.

Big dump of snow, at a few degrees below freezing, so there's a slick layer of ice under the mashed-potato-stuff.

In 72 hours it'll drop down to -30C. Not counting the wind chill. An arctic high. A bracing cold. Mighty fresh.

Have fun and stay safe Doug. Conditions like those are not for the faint of heart.

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Dagny

Which begs the question. What do those folks wipe their behinds with the rest of the year? Maybe they just sneak a few squares at a time home from the office. eek
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

When I find the pics of the fellows climbing the ice covered towers in Alberta, I will send them to ya'.

Those fellows have cajones that must be brought in on a truck behind them....
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: 7point82
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Which begs the question. What do those folks wipe their behinds with the rest of the year? Maybe they just sneak a few squares at a time home from the office. eek

Folks here have staff for that.

;-)

Re: Record snowfall in Houston - 12/05/09 08:22 PM

Anybody who does that high-angle stuff has nerves (and everything else) of steel. Personally I think I'd need a diaper.

The first slug of heavy snow and the first blast of cold weather is always a bit of a shock. But it's SOP up here. Mostly we're set up for it; for example, I just spent two hours with the big snowblower so we could get off the yard and on with life. The biggest challenge is psyching yourself up to go out and deal with it.