Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Posted by: Erik_B

Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 04:04 PM

I'm helping my dad clean out his garage and he said to help myself to anything i liked. Anyway, I found this old folding cot, but I can't see to get the thing set up. everything is there, but I can't get the second end bar in place.

SCORE

ok

BUGGER

Try as I might I can't get that second bar in place.
am i doing something wrong, or has the fabric just shrunk from sitting in a garage for a thousand years?
Posted by: barbakane

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 04:24 PM

Have used these in the past, and they are designed so the canvas is very taught. From the first picture, it looks like the side rails are convex when viewed from the side. The rails should be straight, not angled so the middle of the cot is the highest point. Also, it looks like the canvas on the left side has wrinkles in it, indicating the fabric has to be slid to the left. As an indicator, the fabric located at the middle juncture should be right in the middle of the frame. Try sliding the fabric to the left,as viewed in the picture, then attach the end rail. Try attaching one end of the side rail to the end rail, then put very hard to attach the other side. Don't know if the material has been washed in the past, but it's also possible the fabric shrank. Try wetting the material, putting it together, then let it dry for a few days.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 05:21 PM

My Cabelas cots are so taut I can barely set them up.

To get the final bar in place I sit on the ground, put my feet up against the legs and pull. With use it will loosen up a bit.

A comfy sleep is the reward.

Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 06:02 PM

It looks like the same model I have used/wrestled with/cursed at many times. Make sure you are opening it to it's full width. The nylon fabric should end up very taut, with no slack or wrinkles at all in the assembled cot.

After fully opening the cot and attaching the first end bar using the most distal holes, there should be enough slack to attach one side of second end bar to one of the side rails of the cot. At this point, try standing the cot on that second end, and stepping on the unattached side of the second end bar. While standing and holding the sides of the upright cot, stretch cot's fabric and work the side rail onto the remaining hole in the second end bar that is being held down by your foot.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: JohnE

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 06:19 PM

Can't tell from the angle of the photo but my similar cot is tough to assemble too. Then I realized that one of the end bars is longer than the other, use the longer one as a lever to pull the fabric tight after you attach the shorter one at the other end.

Does that make sense?

It's like there's a handle for you to get more pulling power to stretch the fabric with.

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 09:36 PM

both of my bars are the same length.
i weigh over 200 lbs and i couldn't get that other end bar to go far enough to get it on the darn pegs. even if i managed to get one peg in one of the holes i just couldn't get the other one far enough. i think the fabric must have shrunk. i worked up an honest sweat trying to put that thing together.
Posted by: Compugeek

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 09:55 PM

Having never, ever, set up a folding cot, this may be the dumbest idea around, but that never stops me! smile :

Does the cot fold up in the middle or down? If it folds upward, can you get enough slack by lifting the end and then hooking on the bar? And then carefully lowering it again, taking care not to tear the fabric if it has shrunk?

Or is that guaranteed way to rip the fabric on ANY cot?
Posted by: yelp

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 10:21 PM

We use the same cot in a lot of our camps; while I have no idea if the fabric has shrunk, I've always had a heck of a time getting that second crossbar in place. That's held true for different cots, different climates, and different years (thus introducing the passage of time).

I usually run out of patience before I get results and end up walking away for awhile (up to and including a couple days). To date the solution has always been:

Just force that mother! Best of luck.

EDIT: Oh, and also what Barbakane said.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 11:12 PM

I'm reminded of an old saying:
If it doesn't fit; force it.
If it breaks; it needed to be replaced anyway.

I'm tempted to suggest you horse it into position. You can't use it the way it is so if it breaks your out very little. But, before I go that far I seem to remember that old army cots used to shrink a bit in storage and a trick was to dampen the fabric before trying to get everything in position.

Now those old army cots had cotton canvas and once assembled if the canvas was weak it would sometimes rip when it dried. And it looks like your might have nylon so I'm not sure how that changes things. If wetting the fabric allows you to stretch it enough to get everything in position you're golden. If not a few hours in the sunshine the fabric is dry and your out nothing but time.

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 11:33 PM

HAA HAHA HAAAAA!!! I'VE DONE IT!!

I DEFEATED THAT MFer.

I bent a steel pipe in the process, but I did it.

BTW, that dark spot is from me spilling my celebratory Corona.
Posted by: yelp

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/04/09 11:42 PM

Cheers!
Posted by: Susan

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/05/09 12:11 AM

I can't tell from the photos... is there a hinge or something on each side? If so, perhaps you can fasten both ends FIRST, with the hinges bent and the fabric loose, then gradually straighten the sides until it's taut.

I've never dealt with that kind of cot, either, so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Sue
Posted by: Compugeek

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/05/09 12:47 AM

Yeehaa!!!

Now all you gotta do is UN do it

(ducking and running)

Seriously, congrats!

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/05/09 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan
I can't tell from the photos... is there a hinge or something on each side? If so, perhaps you can fasten both ends FIRST, with the hinges bent and the fabric loose, then gradually straighten the sides until it's taut.

I've never dealt with that kind of cot, either, so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Sue

the way it folds up would make that impossible. opened the hinges are diagonal, so it can't fold in half.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/05/09 06:50 PM

i had the old wood one and i recall putting the end bars on and then unfolding the cot and that pulled everything tight.
Posted by: ponder

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/06/09 12:34 AM

Nylon absorbes 15% water by weight.

Soak cot or spray and wait 15 minutes.

Tarp will be loose as a goose.

In thirth minutes or when it dries it will be as tight as a drum.

Reverse to take down.

Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/06/09 01:44 AM

I use these cots regularly and it is always tight to put the last end-bar in place. I pry the bar in place with another bar or something long and solid like a shovel handle. My hunting partner pulls on the bar like a rowing machine with his feet braced on the cot legs.

I will admit that a few times I just have not been able to get the last end-bar pin in place and used the cot with the end-bar placed against the tops of the cot legs.

Mike
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Folding Cot - What Am I Doing Wrong? - 09/06/09 03:20 AM

OK GUYS..go to Youtube and search--tips on assembling an army cot--a guy in a baseball cap will show you how to do it..
also--the site--wonderhowto.com will answer a pile of simple survival type questions..some sort of fringe..