"The Wishing Tree"

Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

"The Wishing Tree" - 10/15/08 09:27 PM

Hi Guys,

About a year ago, I posted a question in this thread asking about the type of military aircraft I should paint in a children's book about deployment. Well, several of you offered suggestions, and I went with the C-17 Globe Master.

Thank you all for your help, because that children's book I was illustrating is out now! It's called "The Wishing Tree" and is available on Amazon.com and from Elva Resa Publishing.

The C-17 only makes a couple of appearances, but it was still fun to paint:

Here are some other images from the book (sorry these are small but it is to discourage people from reusing my images):

This website has been an inspiration for me for years now, and finally ETS is in one of the books I've illustrated in some small way at least.
Posted by: Blast

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/15/08 09:43 PM

AWESOME!

-Blast
Posted by: Andy

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/15/08 09:48 PM

+1 on the awesome, well done!
Posted by: Kris

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/15/08 11:05 PM

Excellent!!!!
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 12:02 AM

That looks like a gorgeous book!
Posted by: ironraven

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 12:50 AM

Christina, a co-worker of mine is involved with the VT Guard/Reserve family support group. I'll let her know that this is now in print. We are spooling up now for another deployment next spring, so they might be interested.

And thank you.
Posted by: aloha

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 03:04 AM

Great work!
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 03:37 AM

That's great work!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 04:06 AM

I'll second all of the +1's, AWESOME's, and EXCELLENT's!!!!

Thank you for writing on this subject for kids! My kids never fully understood why I would disappear for long periods of time. Future children will have an understanding due to your efforts, Christina!!!! BZ!!!!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 05:30 AM

Christina,

+a bunch on the AWESOME and EXCELLENT. Thank you for honoring those who serve by providing something for the children.

You rock!!
Posted by: benjammin

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 12:22 PM

Kudos Christina.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 01:27 PM

Very Cool!
Posted by: Arney

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 01:45 PM

Congratulations! That's a wonderful project!

With so many service people being called up these days who already have families and young children, especially those in the Reserves or National Guard who lead mostly civilian lives, I imagine that a book like this is more needed now than ever before.
Posted by: Blast

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 02:38 PM

Hmmm, maybe in a few months you could get a signed copy of this book and also Storm Codes for an ETS raffle?

-Blast

Posted by: KenK

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 06:31 PM

Christina,

You are so VERY talented. I went to your illustration web site and really like the one with the racoon and the bear ... oh, and the one with the sea turtle. Beautiful detail and colors.

Hopefully you're not a "starving artist" because the world needs to encourage as many people with your level of talent as possible.
Posted by: bmisf

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 06:44 PM

Beautiful work, Christina.
Posted by: Bill_G

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/16/08 09:48 PM

Christina,

Wonderful work!! Thank you for working on such a worthwhile project.

bg
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 10/17/08 12:50 AM

WOW! Thank you all for your very kind words. You make all my student loan debt seem worth it!

Blast - That is a great idea to raffle off some books for ETS. I'll try to do that around the holidays.
Posted by: Campbell03

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 06/26/09 08:33 AM

The only book for children written by Faulkner, who is better known for his Southern-Gothic type books. Originally written in 1927, the US edition having been issued in 1964. I love this book.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: "The Wishing Tree" - 06/27/09 01:15 AM

Congrats on the work and the book Christina smile

"Only 3 left in stock--order soon (more on the way). "

Hopefully that is good news for you smile