I wsh there was an outdoor skill library

Posted by: dweste

I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 05:07 AM

AS I go through downsizing I am selling and giving away most of my stuff. Today I was looking at the library of books and magazines I have accumulated on outdoor skills - fishing, kayaking, diving, survival, etc.

I wish there was a library of outdoor skills somewhere to which I could donate this stuff. I would love for it to add to a resource for education, maybe even research, - even if it just meant they would sell what I gave them to raise funds for the overall good of that institution.

Oh. well. I guess I will just list the stuff on craigslist, with donation to the local Friends of the Library as a backup.
Posted by: TheSock

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 05:14 AM

boy scouts?
The Sock
Posted by: AROTC

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 10:22 AM

You could send a few out to the Lending Library on this site. I'm not positive on the exact procedure, since I haven't either lent or borrowed a book, but it would certainly benefit people interested in the outdoors.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 10:30 AM

You know, it's hard to give away periodicals if they are not current. Books are a bit easier though. I've given lots of books to the local Veterans Home. They seem to be glad to get something new.

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 12:30 PM

Is there a college or university that takes survival and preparedness seriously enough to have a professor, research library, etc.?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 01:27 PM

How 'bout the regular old county library???

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 02:29 PM

Yeah, well, they stopped taking book donations because the cost to process a book to turn it into a "library book" was too expensive and they were backlogged in even doing that with books they already had because of personnel cuts.

Have I mentioned the local economy is not doing so well?

The best I can do for the library is to donate the books to the Friends of the Library that runs a used book store out of a donated strip mall space. The books themselves do not stay in the system.
Posted by: BobS

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 03:28 PM

Go to a local flea market and see if any of the vendors are interestedin buyung them. I got rid of several things this way.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 05:37 PM

<---

I'm interested in all your books and related magazines smile

-Todd

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 05:57 PM

Okay, how about a trade for some web hosting and coaching on creting sites?
Posted by: Todd W

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/16/08 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
Okay, how about a trade for some web hosting and coaching on creting sites?

Cool, PM we can talk about it more.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: I wsh there was an outdoor skill library - 08/17/08 02:50 AM

"...the cost to process a book to turn it into a "library book".."

I am sooo far out of the loop. In the olden days, they just used a rubber stamp to mark a book "Property of so and so Library" and it was a done deal...