And then there's this guy..

Posted by: bsmith

And then there's this guy.. - 05/30/08 09:27 PM

good luck on him..

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/05/29/adventurer-will-live.html

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: And then there's this guy.. - 05/30/08 09:51 PM

Quote:
Xavier’s only luggage will be a Swiss army knife, machete, video camera, and a solar panel for charging the camera.

That seems a bit extreme.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: ironraven

Re: And then there's this guy.. - 05/30/08 10:21 PM

It is. I mean, how much would a small pack with a small pot and a ferro rod have added to his load?

I'm betting he pulls tapes apart for cordage within 10 days.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: And then there's this guy.. - 05/30/08 10:38 PM

As I recall, Robinson Crusoe (based on Alexander Selkirk) stripped his ship of timbers, rigging, tools, weapons, rations, seeds, etc. He started out with many resources that most don't have.

As I recall, the same was true of the Swiss Family Robinson story.

Remember my threads: I Spy from my Perch

Here in the states, there is so much valuable "garbage" that is lying around and can be very valuable in a survival situation.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: And then there's this guy.. - 05/31/08 04:19 AM

This guy should read Castaway , by Lucy Irvine. Or at least watch the movie. The "hero" took a lot more stuff to his little island, including a "wife," and still had a really rough go of it...
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: And then there's this guy.. - 05/31/08 11:08 PM

"As I recall, Robinson Crusoe (based on Alexander Selkirk) stripped his ship of timbers, rigging, tools, weapons, rations, seeds, etc. He started out with many resources that most don't have."

Sailing ships of the time were quite self sufficient. There are many accounts of ships being virtually rebuilt from the keel up after they were beached on a remote island. The ships routinely had large reserves of materials and all the tools necessary to build or rebuild a ship from scratch.

An example for people wishing to be prepared for the worse. Ideally you should have all the tools necessary to rebuild a house without resort to external power and a good supply of materials. Back in the 20s and 30s many Florida residents kept hand tools and stacks of lumber under their houses.
Posted by: Stu

Re: And then there's this guy.. - 06/03/08 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
This guy should read Castaway , by Lucy Irvine. Or at least watch the movie. The "hero" took a lot more stuff to his little island, including a "wife," and still had a really rough go of it...

That book is a favorite of mine. She also wrote Rrunaway (before) and Faraway (after), two very interesting reads.
Posted by: JFBat

Re: And then there's this guy.. - 06/03/08 05:00 PM

It'll be interesting to see just how long the camera and solar panels last.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: And then there's this guy.. - 06/03/08 05:05 PM

Putting yourself in harms way with even less than minimal survival gear is just crazy...

Guess this guy must be pretty good at his primitive fire making skills (fire bow, fire plough, sourcing flint, etc...)