MREs - again.

Posted by: MartinFocazio

MREs - again. - 03/07/08 12:43 AM

MRE's seem to come around on this list all the time.

I don't have a lot of them, but I do keep some in the truck and in my on-scene kit and I'm always fascinated with the way that they all taste the same, no matter what it says on the box.

Anyway, my point is that I'd like to find MRE-like food that is less, um, horrid. Even, dare I say, Organic? Is this possible?

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: MREs - again. - 03/07/08 01:03 AM

Years ago I bought some retort pouch meals at a Grocery Outlet/Canned Food Store in central CA. Similar to MRE's, the food was fully cooked inside of the pouches. They came in a variety of flavors, all of which were not bad. Don't know if you can still find that kind of stuff, but if you have a similar type store in your area you might look...
Posted by: brandtb

Re: MREs - again. - 03/07/08 02:12 AM

Maybe I'm crazy, but I like the taste of (most) MREs. Of course, I also like Spam, so let that be your reference point.

I used to be able to buy the entre pouches at our recurring local gun show in King-of-Prussia, PA, but the convention center that hosts it instituted a new policy that nobody was allowed to sell food except the in-house vendor (banana smoothies at a gun show - go figure). Since then, I haven't been able to find any source for entres.
Posted by: leemann

Re: MREs - again. - 03/07/08 04:52 AM

Try mre for lots of info on them. And food for mre entrees.

Lee

Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: MREs - again. - 03/08/08 01:27 AM

Camping food should be palatable. Tasty is good. Survival food, not so much.

It wouldn't do to catch a whiff of a fellow survivor's drug of choice and eat your week's worth of supplies in an attack of the munchies. Bland, barely acceptable food that you have to really feel hungry to eat makes rationing easier.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: MREs - again. - 03/08/08 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

It wouldn't do to catch a whiff of a fellow survivor's drug of choice and eat your week's worth of supplies in an attack of the munchies. Bland, barely acceptable food that you have to really feel hungry to eat makes rationing easier.

tell me about it. i dunno if it's just me, but the sleep aid Ambien seems to have a similar effect on me as pot, complete with munchies. One night i ate all the MRE entrees i had in my BOB/camping pack. I dont' have a local source of MREs, so that pissed me off.

ETA: this site is where I buy my MRE entrees.
http://beprepared.com/quickshoplist.asp_Q_c_E_100_A_name_E_MRE%20(Meals%20Ready%20to%20Eat)
Posted by: Matt26

Re: MREs - again. - 03/08/08 02:05 PM

Yeah it's out there. Try your local health food store or even your local chain market for entrees in the same type packaging. Look in the organic section, usually vegitarian dishes. Quite diverse selections if you look. I've had several different kinds of dishes from curry to different stews and such. I actually like the ones that are meat substitutes, it's ammazing what you can do with soy.
Posted by: BobS

Re: MREs - again. - 03/08/08 06:20 PM

Just use caned food (ravioli and the like) yea it’s heavy, but so is an MRE. The can itself does not weight much; it’s the food that’s heavy. And it’s a long-lasting & durable way to store food.

And like an MRE it’s ready to eat food, nice to heat it, but not really needed to do.

I don’t think can food really takes up more space then an MRE.
Posted by: leemann

Re: MREs - again. - 03/08/08 10:26 PM

About 3 miles or so and I'm there nice store too. They have a store in Murray that I havent been to.

Lee
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: MREs - again. - 03/09/08 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Erik_B

tell me about it. i dunno if it's just me, but the sleep aid Ambien seems to have a similar effect on me as pot, complete with munchies. One night i ate all the MRE entrees i had in my BOB/camping pack. I dont' have a local source of MREs, so that pissed me off.

LOL. Sounds like an industrial grade case of bloated constipation. A hell of a way to wake up.

Seem that quite a few people are finding they have odd reactions to Ambien and similar products. A preacher's wife would smelling like cigarettes and stale beer. Come to find out she would, under the influence and inhibitions down, wander off to the local strip and party hard. Evidently there is a court case pending.

Originally Posted By: BobS
Just use caned food (ravioli and the like) yea it’s heavy, but so is an MRE. The can itself does not weight much; it’s the food that’s heavy. And it’s a long-lasting & durable way to store food.

And like an MRE it’s ready to eat food, nice to heat it, but not really needed to do.

I don’t think can food really takes up more space then an MRE.

I too have been known to carry cans. The experts claim that cans are heavy but like you I don't think the difference is that great. Most of the weight is water, water your going to have to drink anyway, anyway canned food at least makes sure you have some water. And the cans are handy. Used to be with the old C-rations there were always a subset of folks who could manufacture all sorts of things with them. Over time most of the comforts of home could be recreated.

Stoves and cups and dinnerware and candle lanterns and lamps that would light you hovel using oil and grease from the tops of the C-rations. And intrusion detection bells and a cover for the toilet paper and, given enough time, shingles for the roof.

With MREs you have a tri-laminate bag that is, in comparison, pretty useless. Best use for those I have heard is to slip one over the toe of your sock to help keep your toes warm. Or at least unfrozen and attached long-term.
Posted by: Susan

Re: MREs - again. - 03/09/08 12:29 AM

Martin, you might check out this site
http://emergencydisastersurvivalfood.blogspot.com/
It is the site of Josiah Friberg "Disaster Nutrition Educator"
(quotation marks are mine)

Down on the left side there is clickable audio (two, actually, one short, one longer):

"Organic Survival Food Audio
Click Here for a 2-min audio on the best organic emergency survival food."

and

"20-min Audio of Best Organic Survival Food on the Planet
Click Here for the complete 20-min audio overview of the best organic disaster survival food on the planet."

I've just been called to work, so I haven't checked it out.

If anyone knows anything about this guy or his site (good or bad or other), please chime in.

Sue

Posted by: Andy

Re: MREs - again. - 03/09/08 01:16 AM

Somewhat off track but I saw on TV today that the DoD is introducing 12 new MRE entrees over the next few years including catfish! Also, the grandson of the inventor of the MRE is an Army officer. His name, Ramen.
Posted by: BobS

Re: MREs - again. - 03/09/08 03:10 AM

Also, the grandson of the inventor of the MRE is an Army officer. His name, Ramen.

Does he sell noodles???