Your thoughts on BenchMade Mini Dejavoo

Posted by: Alejandro

Your thoughts on BenchMade Mini Dejavoo - 10/22/07 05:51 PM

Hi guys,
I just want your opinion on this particular knife. I have the opportunity to buy one to be used as EDC, well really weekend carry, my daily working attire does not allow me to comfortably carry much more than a Spyderco Jester and some time my Mini RSK.
What do you think about it? Is it a well-constructed and handy knife? Is the lock secure enough to be heavily used?
I really like it’s smooth opening but want to get some advice before spending the money.
Thanks + Regards
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Your thoughts on BenchMade Mini Dejavoo - 10/22/07 06:41 PM

I EDC the sequel, I bought it about 3 moths ago when I retired my Kershaw, and the AFO auto. If it is any where as well made as my two knifes I would whole heartedly recommend it. They are well made and hold an edge as well or better than any knifes I have ever carried.
Posted by: billym

Re: Your thoughts on BenchMade Mini Dejavoo - 10/22/07 07:34 PM

I Picked one up at a knife shop and was impressed with the grip of the handle and the lockup of the liner.
It has S30V steel which is considered to be about the "best" but best is relative. I have 5 or 6 knives with S30V and I think I am done with that steel. It takes a bit too much effort to sharpen.
But that is just me.
Nice knife over all but I prefer the Axis over the liner lock.
Bill
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Your thoughts on BenchMade Mini Dejavoo - 10/22/07 07:49 PM

Not two weeks ago, I traded one of my fixed blades to a co-worker for his Dejavoo, for the duration of the day. Now, this was not the mini-Dejavoo, but I will say I was very impressed. I'm biased, of course, when it comes to Benchmade's blue or black class knives, but I'm sincere when I say I wouldn;t hesitate to buy one. My mind was prevously made up and committed: my next folder would be the BM mini-Skirmish, but playing with that Dejavoo put the Skirmish committment in serious jeopardy....seriously.

I played with it alot but I didn;t cut much (I cut some nylon handcuffs laying around and I shaved a little rubber from an old pair of binoculars), because I was trying to be respectful of this guy's knife. He, on the other hand, cut a bunch of cardboard, tape, and other stuff with my Bark River and I had to sharpen it starting at 800 grit when I got home. That was ok - he was impressed!

When I first saw the Dejavoo, I didn;t like the looks of it. It looked to me like....well, like "hype", with its drooping tail-end and thick (height) blade, but that day changed my opinion entirely. The fit and finish is of typical BM standard: nearly flawless. I really liked the feel of it in my hand (ha! What's new when it comes to knives?). For a non-Axis liner-lock knife, I like the Dejavoo alot and I would have to expect the mini-Dejavoo to be every bit as nice.

The mini has the same S30V steel and, according to BM's catalog, it's 7-5/8" long open, with a 3-1/4" blade. Blade thickness is 1/8" and overall thickness (with G-10 scales) is 5/8".

I know from experience the S30V is a good knife steel...as good as any and better than some. I can sharpen it razor sharp on the SHarpmaker std ceramic rods, something I can't do very well with D2 steel.

If you get it I think you'll fall in love with it.

ON EDIT: Oh. Is it durable? Well, as I said I didn;t try to "test" the knife, but it's a Benchmade...expect it to be well-made. THe liner locked up nice and tight, no side-to-side play that I could feel, and the liner was fully locked against the blade with just mild, one-handed opening. I didn;t do any "spine whack" tests...I don;t do those on any knife, but suffice it to say I felt comfortable with the lock-up each time I opened it (maybe 50 or 60 times). The blade is 1/8" steel, more than adequate for a folder this size, but still you wouldn;t expect this knife to stab holes in concrete or truck bumpers....but you knew that. The G10 scales should last a lifetime, I see no difference in them than any other G10 I have, and I can;t seem to hurt them any no matter what I do. Yeah, it should be pretty sturdy and more than able to handle any daily tasks and beyond.

One more thing: the knife carries tip-down. That really swayed me, thinking back on it now. Alot of guys like to carry tip-up, but I'm the opposite. BM's clips suffer alot of verbal abuse, with people claiming they're either too stiff on some blades or, more often, too flimsy. I liked the clip on the Dejavoo...maybe I was blinded because it allowed me to carry it tip-down in my waistband, but I would remember if there had been something wrong with the clip. I liked it.
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: Your thoughts on BenchMade Mini Dejavoo - 10/23/07 02:12 PM

Thanks for the feed back guys, I apreciate it.
Will make a mental note not to use the knife "to stab holes in concrete or truck bumpers"
I really like this knife and think will go ahead and buy it.
Best Regards
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Your thoughts on BenchMade Mini Dejavoo - 10/23/07 02:55 PM

Alejandro, consider adding steel tubing and ironwood to the list of things not to try and stab holes through laugh