Multi Tool

Posted by: ToddG

Multi Tool - 04/15/01 05:34 AM

Quick survey:
What multi-tool do you favor and why?

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Multi Tool - 04/15/01 07:47 AM

Doug's reviews pretty well cover it.I have a shrade.The handles are bulky.It's most exotic use was against a would be street tough with a Philipino Bali-Song(butterfly knife).I started flipping my shrade back at him and delivered a resounding crack with it on his nose.Like I said,the handles are bulky.
Posted by: ToddG

Re: Multi Tool - 04/15/01 07:04 PM

Doug did cover it very well, I am just looking for peoples personal preferences

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Multi Tool - 04/15/01 07:56 PM

Tod,I have had the opportunity to observe Buck,Gerber,leatherman,my Shrade and a knockoff brand in the field.The knockoff shattered,causing a nasty laceration to the users hand. You get what you pay for,and pay for what you get! If I went to buy one today,it would be the Leatherman wave. I like the ergonomics and the rounded edges for pocket carry.For my needs I demand one handed opening and locking blades in any folder.These tools are obviously for more deliberate applications.I've had to cut boat lines,fouled fishing nets,horses tangled in tack,barbed wire and lead ropes.So if a multitool is my only resource those blades need to be available NOW!

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Multi Tool - 04/15/01 10:21 PM

My wife just got me a Gerber legend 800.
I have large hands so I like feel of it. I also find the socket for the jigsaw blades is a wonderfull idea. this feature allows for all kinds of possibilities. I can carry Hacksaw blades, wood saw blades or even plexiglass blades. But what I like in addition to having different lades is the option of carrying a 4 inch wood cutting blade in my backpack and I just attatch it when needed. I also like the replacable wire cutting blades in the jaws. I own several Multi tools and the wire cutters always get dinged up. I also like the thumb stud on the knife blade and the fiskars scissors. All tools lock in place and the pliers are spring loaded which makes delicate work much easier.

Ranger.
The older I get, The better I was.

Edited by ranger on 04/15/01 03:28 PM (server time).

Posted by: Craig

Re: Multi Tool - 04/19/01 06:29 PM

I have an original Leatherman PST, which I carry to work with me in my briefcase. The PST is small enough to not intimidate anyone, but large enough to handle anything I might run into at the office.<br><br>I also carry in my pockets a SOG CrossCut (built around mini-scissors) and a SOG CrossGrip (built around mini-pliers), both of which are "mini-multitools". They are small enough to (1) fit comfortably in my dress trouser pockets and to (2) not draw attention to myself should I pull one out of my pocket. Image is everything.<br><br>I also have the Leatherman Wave and Victorinox SwissTool R/S. I like both of them, and generally carry one on Saturday and the other on Sunday.<br><br>Craig<br><br>
Posted by: Still_Alive

Re: Multi Tool - 06/16/08 09:08 PM

I love my Leatherman Supertool. It's old, but it's still around.

Re: Multi Tool - 06/16/08 09:30 PM

Last week I bought a Leatherman Charge TTi. It took some courage to pony up so much cash for it but I've been using it for a week and I don't regret the decision.

I can't open the blade with my left hand but since it's only backup knife at best, that's fine. I can open it very easily with my weak right hand and that's better than many so called on hand opening knives.
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Multi Tool - 06/16/08 10:13 PM

Talk about a zombie thread, resurrected after 7 years.*shambles around moaning*
Mmmmmm multi tools.......:)
Ok, now that I got that outta my system, I edc a Victorinox Swiss Tool. All tools accessable without opening body. Good solid, sturdy construction (although this does equate to more weight). Nice selection of tools. Outstanding (IMHO) file and wood saw..........
I would say that I'm just a fanboy of Victorinox, but I have a schrade, superleatherman, gerber, gerber deisel SOG..... So I have tried most of what's on the market and just plain like the Vic the most

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 12:19 AM

Vic. Spirit w/ ratchet wrench. Built like a tank, feels like a regular pair of needle nose, and handles any 1/4" hex bit.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 12:43 AM

"...I can't open the blade with my left hand..."

You can, but it is a little tricky. I start the blade open with my left index finger, then, assuming that there is some inanimate object nearby, I use that to open the blade fully.

I bought the original Leatherman PST when they came out, and cut myself more than once when the blade folded up on me. When the original Supertool came out I bought that, and the blade folding problems were gone. But I disliked having to open the thing up every time I wanted a blade, so I went to the new model Wave, which I EDC, and use numerous times a day. Every day...

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 01:12 AM

That's a good trick. I can get it half way with my middle finger but my index finger hasn't figured it out yet.

I love the fact you don't have to open the pliers to get at the blade(s) but the diamond file and micro screwdriver (with flat AND philips) were the features that really sold me.

I still prefer the pliers on my Gerbers.

I forgot about my other EDC multitool. Many don't consider it a multitool but I'll argue that one all day. When I'm going to work and need something a bit more subtle I clip my Victorinox Cybertool to my keychain. Almost as good as multiplier type tools and has some features that few pliers have.

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 02:19 AM

"...half way..."

That is all you need, if you have something to put the tip against to open it the rest of the way. Your body can work, just be careful...

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 02:24 AM

No kidding. That S30V blade came way sharper than I expected. A pleasant surprise.
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 11:36 AM

You'll get no argument from me Hacksaw. I too, forgot to mention my Vic Swisschamp that I EDC, don't work with small bits of machinery so I chose it over the cybertool models. I luckily, depending on how you look at it, work in a warehouse running production machinery so carrying a few belt sheaths (flashlight, multi-tool, lighter, and SAK)and a knife clipped into the front pants pocket doesn't raise any eyebrows. I'm actually surprised that the only other person who carries anything is the plant manager. He has a leatherman blast and a beretta folding knife he keeps in his pocket.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 11:47 AM

I edc a new model Wave in my briefcase. It also goes camping with me.

I bought one for my father-in-law and gave them as gifts to my groomsmen. Nothing says it more than tools!

I like the one-handed opening of the blade. Plus the blade locks into position.
Posted by: Buffalohump

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 01:10 PM

i have four multi-tools that I use...actually five.

Two with me every day are a SOG Powerplier and a SAK OH Trekker (the way cool German Army issue version).

At home I have a Swiss Champ and a Leatherman Wave II. These are both great tools but IMO too heavy to carry every day.

The Powerplier is a great compact plier. The compound leverage feature adds a great deal to the gripping capacity.

Unfortunately the teeth from the gears makes the use of other tools like the screwdrivers a bit tricky.

So for this type of action, in addition to bottle and can opening, I go to the SAK One Hand Trekker.

IMO this knife is the best bang for your buck in the MT world. Everybody, and I do mean everybody, should own one!

The fifth tool I use is my wife's Micra. Another winner! After many years of hard use, it can still cut my toe nails - and that's no mean feat lemme tellya.

I also own a SOG Crossgrip that I don't use much. Its a bit redundant to be honest though I will find a place for it somewhere one day.

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 01:43 PM

"...Micra..."

How could I forget my Micra? It, with a toothpick thingy and a "special" key on a ring are always hiding in the bottom of a cargo pocket. But I use it so little I forget it is even there...
Posted by: Buffalohump

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 01:55 PM

Yup, the Micra is a great tool...

Actually it used to belong to me but I gave it to her a while back.

Kinda wish I hadn't now...
Posted by: djlmwh

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 02:56 PM

I used to carry a full-size Gerber multi-tool of some variety, supplied by the Navy, but the plier heads failed. I switched to a Leatherman Fuse, which had just enough on it for my purposes, but took it clamming and the salt water did not agree with it. (Luckily my RSK Mk1 made it just fine.)

Currently I'm carrying a Leatherman Skeletool, and I love it for what it is: small, easy to carry, and never more than what I need.
If you favor tiny tools and cost isn't a factor, I recommend it. It's got enough flexibility for me to be just enough in addition to the other stuff I carry, and I almost forget that it's in my pocket.
Posted by: Spiritwalker

Re: Multi Tool - 06/17/08 04:21 PM

SOG PowerLock is my usual EDC but on occasion I carry a 12 year old Gerber (I don't recall the model anymore).
Posted by: Rodion

Re: Multi Tool - 07/23/08 06:27 PM

I return from multitool.org, bearing the Swissgrip and roaring my victory to the Gods themselves!!

I can't recall who directed me there in the first place, but whoever it was - thank you. I can now tell a Powerlock from a folding umbrella.

My oh my, this is one tough son of a Swiss. It's pretty much pliers with a giant wood saw, full-size screwdriver set and a metal file. Just what I was looking for. It is perfect.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Multi Tool - 07/23/08 10:51 PM

Leatherman Wave(purchased 2008)
also a victorinox Classic on my keychain.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Multi Tool - 07/23/08 11:36 PM

I can open the blade on my Charge TTi with my left hand... I open it up to were the spine of teh blade is at about a 90 degree angle to the rest of the tool, and then reach over with my thumb and open it the rest of the way...
Posted by: clarktx

Re: Multi Tool - 07/24/08 01:09 AM

I started with the new wave, which has really been enormously useful. However, I did get a bit set for it as a gift and I can't say is worth the money but it is useful as a gimmie. I've since bought a squirt to replace it when backpacking. My wife got me the micra, which is my "around Houston" tool. If you haven't gotten your S.O. one I think its a nice little gift. I would really like to get a skeletool, it seems like it is going to be better than the squirt and lighter than the wave. Good thread, nice to see whats being carried. That wenger swissgrip looks amusing.

I wonder if one day I'll have more multitools than knives. smirk I really like the universal ability.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Multi Tool - 07/24/08 01:25 AM

I've carried a Leatherman Charge Ti with a bitkit for a couple of years now, and it has excelled in all tasks that I've put it to including flint knapping.

I saved Christmas with it! While visiting family for the holidays I put together my nephew's scooter, opened battery compartment doors and freed innumerable plastic bubble-packed items from their shells with the aid of my Leatherman.

Re: Multi Tool - 07/24/08 01:28 AM

The Gerber fan in me hates to admit it but I've grown to love my TTi despite the fact that I can't get the blade open with my left hand. It opens really nice with my right so I guess that's good if my good hand ever gets buggered up.
Posted by: BobS

Re: Multi Tool - 07/24/08 02:57 AM

It’s not as important as to what multi-tool you have on you as it is that you have one with you.

Whoever it’s made by it will do the job. Leatherman or Gerber or Swiss Army Knife. They all work!

I have a Victorinox Swiss Champ and a Leatherman tool, and the Swiss Champ gets used the most.

Re: Multi Tool - 07/24/08 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: BobS
It’s not as important as to what multi-tool you have on you as it is that you have one with you.

Whoever it’s made by it will do the job. Leatherman or Gerber or Swiss Army Knife. They all work!

I have a Victorinox Swiss Champ and a Leatherman tool, and the Swiss Champ gets used the most.

Absolutely. They all work, right until some of them break. Then they kind of stop working... and then it matters just what exactly you have with you.
Posted by: BobS

Re: Multi Tool - 07/24/08 04:41 AM

My Swiss Champ is 20-years old, my Leatherman tool is about the same age. They haven't broke yet. The knife handle plastic did get a small chip in it from drop off an antenna tower 10-years ago but I patched it with “Bullshooters gun front site insert kit.” It was a perfect color match and you can’t see the epoxy repair at all.

As long as you buy quality tools and (the important thing) understand how not to abuse them and ask no more then they were made to do, you will have a long lasting friend. You can’t do things like loosen a lug nut with a multi tool.

I have seen multi tools brought back to my friend’s gun shop that were only 6-months old that were badly damaged. Cleary these tools were more then used, they were abused by guys that could not understand how to use and not use them. People expected him to just reach into the counter and give them a new one. He always explains the warrantee is with the company, not him.

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Posted by: morto

Re: Multi Tool - 07/24/08 05:41 AM

Learman PST still going strong; Leatherman Wave not even broke-in yet.

Re: Multi Tool - 07/24/08 08:03 AM

Originally Posted By: BobS
My Swiss Champ is 20-years old, my Leatherman tool is about the same age. They haven't broke yet. The knife handle plastic did get a small chip in it from drop off an antenna tower 10-years ago but I patched it with “Bullshooters gun front site insert kit.” It was a perfect color match and you can’t see the epoxy repair at all.

As long as you buy quality tools and (the important thing) understand how not to abuse them and ask no more then they were made to do, you will have a long lasting friend. You can’t do things like loosen a lug nut with a multi tool.

I have seen multi tools brought back to my friend’s gun shop that were only 6-months old that were badly damaged. Cleary these tools were more then used, they were abused by guys that could not understand how to use and not use them. People expected him to just reach into the counter and give them a new one. He always explains the warrantee is with the company, not him.

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.

So basically it doesn't matter what you carry, so long as it's top quality. I agree.

About abuse... see that's the thing: I can loosen lug nuts with mine. It's important to understand your limits, yes, but it's no less important for your limits to exceed your needs.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Multi Tool - 07/27/08 01:35 PM

I currently carry a Leatherman Juice CS4. It hangs in my pocket from a long belt loop, and is about the biggest multi-tool I can justify carrying every day.

I have a Vic Swisstool in the house which gets used for bigger jobs. Thinking about it, I should probably migrate it to the car, but it's nice to have it in the house.