US Mil. test results on commercial water products

Posted by: Blast

US Mil. test results on commercial water products - 07/26/07 05:25 PM

Test results of readily available water purification products.

-Blast
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water products - 07/26/07 05:55 PM

Great post, good info - thanks, Blast.

Frank2135
Posted by: Hghvlocity

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water products - 07/26/07 07:37 PM

Great information Blast.

I went throught the list and I feel that one thing should be mentioned. The MSR Sweetwater Purifier is a rip off.

Ok, take a look at what it claims...if you go to REI.com and check it out, in order to completely purifer the water, you pump it and then add the MSR Purifier solution to the water. Hmmmm...I wonder what the solution is that REI is selling for $10 for a 2 ounce bottle....IT'S BLEACH..holy crap I think to myself. Take a look at a large view of the bottle..it clearly lists the ingredients as Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) and other ingredients. They are getting 10 bucks for 2 0z of this stuff because the general public doesn't know the good ole chlorox will do it for way cheaper.

So technically...any of the water filters listed could be considered purifiers if they would just include a 2 oz bottle of bleach with each one. Good grief.

Incidentally, prior to PUR selling out to Katadyn, they did manufacture the GUIDE which did have a Iodine based filter that really did purify the water. Hence all the warnings that GUIDE replacement filters will not purify water. I have one and a couple of the filters that have never been opened. Sort of saving them for an emergency if you know what I mean. Was curious how long they might last unopened. Any guesses?
Posted by: teacher

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water products - 07/26/07 07:57 PM

I didn't see a guide to what the x's checks and triple checks mean..any help?

tro
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/26/07 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: teacher
I didn't see a guide to what the x's checks and triple checks mean..any help?

tro

If you click on the check or "X" symbols, they will give you the following descriptions:

Quote:
Three checks means we expect the device to consistently provide adequate protection from microbial pathogen groups by achieving at least a 6-log bacteria, 4-log virus, 3-log Giardia cyst, or 3-log Cryptosporidium oocyst reduction. Three checks are based on independent testing following the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Guide Standard protocol under manufacturer-specified device operating conditions (e.g., production rate, capacity). For a more detailed explanation of the reduction ratings, click the Pathogen Reduction Ratings link on the left toolbar.

Quote:
One check means we expect the device to consistently provide adequate protection from specific pathogen groups by achieving at least a 6-log bacteria, 4-log virus, 3-log Giardia cyst, and 3-log Cryptosporidium oocyst reduction. There is a level of uncertainty in the effectiveness of the device because there is no device-specific testing data following the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Guide Standard protocol. One check is based either on the evaluation of general scientific knowledge of this treatment technology or on device-specific testing not following the USEPA Guide Standard. For a more detailed explanation of the reduction ratings, click the Pathogen Reduction Ratings link on the left toolbar.

Quote:
[X] Means we do not expect the device to consistently provide adequate protection from microbial pathogen groups. This is based on available data, lack of data, and/or general scientific knowledge of the treatment technology. A device containing an X requires additional treatment to minimize the risk of illness from waterborne pathogens. For a more detailed explanation of the reduction ratings, click the Pathogen Reduction Ratings link on the left toolbar.

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/26/07 09:39 PM

That's why it's so interesting that the Sweetwater get three check marks...it does require additional additional treatment in the form of some squirts from the bleach bottle.
Posted by: KenK

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water products - 07/26/07 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Hghvlocity
IT'S BLEACH..holy crap

That is interesting. I'd not seen that product to go along with the Sweetwater filter.

I have a filter, but I've switched to carrying the MSR Miox instead. The mixed chlorine dioxide solution the Miox creates provides better killing power than chlorine bleach AND I don't have to carry a bottle of nasty stuff (bleach) in my bag.

The Miox didn't get a very good rating for Cryptosporidium. They say the MSR Miox recommended procedure didn't really give the required reduction in Crypto after 4 hours (while the Micropur tablets did). I really wish MSR or anyone would publish independent lab data to support or dispute this. For right now, based on what I've read about the Miox and the chances of encountering crypto in water in the U.S., I don't think I'll have any problems with the Miox.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/26/07 09:47 PM

That's why it's so interesting that the Sweetwater get three check marks...it does require additional additional treatment in the form of some squirts from the bleach bottle.
Yes, you are correct that the top ratings apply to the SweetWater System (filter and purification solution), however a little further down the list shows the ratings for the MSR SweetWater Microfilter alone. It still works pretty well, even without the purification solution.
Posted by: simplesimon

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/27/07 10:24 AM

Talking of the selling of bleach at 10 dollars for 2oz: The special 'techwash' nikwax sell for washing proofed waterproofs is err... soap. Pure soap (available as 'soap flakes' in the UK) does the same job.
And tests found that waterproofs can be reproofed with ordinary garment conditioner which works as well as the best waterproofer and better than most.
Both sources are from Leeds University tests carried out for 'Trail' magazine.
simon
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water products - 07/27/07 03:09 PM

Blast,

Thanks for posting this! I had stumbled across the page several months ago and lost the link.

This was one of the most complete reviews of water treatment filters/purifiers around. It certainly helped when I was trying to find solutions for my BOB.

- Brian

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/27/07 03:53 PM

Yes, the MSR Filter shows as working pretty well without the "Purfication" drops. Funny that Katadayn hasn't caught on and added it. Their comparable filter would all have three check marks as well if some bleach was included in the kit. grin

So, I think I will get some Chlorox in a small dropper bottle and carry with my Katadyn Hiker. Filters the water and couple of drops (I believe it's 4 per quart) will purify it and I am good to go.

Thanks again for posting this up Blast.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/28/07 02:41 AM

If you want to go with a dropper bottle, use an old, glass perfume bottle. Most medical droppers use a plastic bottle that the bleach will slowly attack- the dropper will still work, but the bottle itself will be weaker.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/28/07 01:46 PM

Did they not cover ultra-violet treatments such as SteriPen? I couldn't see it listed.
Posted by: redflare

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/29/07 10:21 PM

Katadyn MP1 tabs still kick butt! On my last backpacking trip I did away with boiling and carrying a filter, just a few of these tabs. smile

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/30/07 03:30 PM

I like the idea of glass to hold the bleach, but if it slowly attacks plastic...what kind of plastic is the bleach sold in? I mean I bought it in a plastic bottle, so I would assume that some plastics are impervious.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/31/07 12:32 AM

From the Wilderness Medical Society...

http://www.wms.org/CIDwaterdisinfection.pdf

http://www.wms.org/Chemical_disinfection_Products.pdf
Posted by: Stu

Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ - 07/31/07 03:28 AM

I like the idea of glass to hold the bleach, but if it slowly attacks plastic...what kind of plastic is the bleach sold in? I mean I bought it in a plastic bottle, so I would assume that some plastics are impervious.

Old Bleach bottles leak. I had one wrapped in a poncho liner in my vehicle kit. The bleach leaked and dissolved part of my poncho liner. $%^&^#%$^%&