water purification

Posted by: Anonymous

water purification - 04/29/02 10:53 PM

I haven't included any water purification options in my psk yet. Has anyone tried the Coghlan's water treatment tablet's? Are they any good? <br><br>Also, I've collected a couple of the mini tobasco bottles from American MRE's and have been trying to decide what to do with them. I was thinking of filling one with javex and using that as a water purification system. Is Javex suitable for this? I've heard that it is. The bottles are so small that they only release a drop at a time and they would fut nicely in an Altoids tin.<br>
Posted by: Schwert

Re: water purification - 04/30/02 12:03 AM

Javex == Canadian Bleach for us Yankees. I thought this may some sort of coffee extract :)<br><br>I am more inclined to use the iodine tablets (Portable Aqua) rather than liquid bleach in my PSK. The only real problem with these tablets is packaging. The sealed glass bottle they come in will not fit an Altoids tin and they must be repackaged in glass with a teflon liner or they lose effectiveness. BlueLine has suitable glass containers. A small vial of bleach would be useful, but I tend to want to avoid liquids, expecially corrosive liquids, in my PSK.<br><br>I have not used or heard of the Coghlans tablets.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: water purification - 04/30/02 08:18 AM

well you can try using those induvitualy packed tablets in paper like sheets. they are harder to get but much easyer to pack