Brandy in a flask.

Posted by: digimark

Brandy in a flask. - 06/03/07 11:18 AM

I inherited a hip-shaped flask from my father with his initials engraved on it. To my knowledge he never used it, but he held onto it anyway. When I received it, I filled it with brandy and its sitting here on my desk. It's a slow early Sunday morning, so I thought I'd throw a fun question out...

Other than the obvious, does a hip flask of brandy have any valid uses in a bug-out bag? How effective would it be at wound sterilization compared to a tube of cream in your FAK? Barter goods?

Didn't old movies always show the old geezer, stuck in the middle of an emergency, or more likely, waiting for the end of the disaster to present itself, pulling out his flask and passing it around to share a drink?
Posted by: MichaelJ07

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/03/07 11:48 AM

In all honesty, it has to be more brandy than a just flask full. I mean, when you reach that point in your situtation where you would be reaching for booze, you (I) want enough to make the situtation....blurry.

Of course, if you think I'm serious, then you certain need some therapy before the booze.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/03/07 12:47 PM

"...it has to be more brandy than a just flask full..."

Or a flask full of something with more kick. Bacardi 151 comes to mind. Or everclear, you could use it for stove fuel too. (Yeah, right, the world is coming to an end, so I'm gonna waste hooch to heat some tea water)...
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/03/07 01:06 PM

LOL. I would prefer Tequila most likely Petron Silver. And if indeed it was my time to go I would light up a good cigar, sit down and wait for it sipping my drink.

Well if you go to the shelter in case of emergency they may confiscate it (no booze/drugs/weapons) and that thing is metal so it will pick up on scan machine.

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/03/07 01:10 PM

Jose 1800 ain't bad either. But I will pass on the stogy, not good for your health...

I have heard (I would never try it myself you understand) of people smuggling booze (vodka or gin usually) onboard a cruise ship in a plain old store bought water bottle. Kinda gets away from the metal flask thing, but it works...
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/03/07 02:44 PM

OBG man when its your time to go I don't think one stogy would make a difference.

Time to live up to your name brother: OBG - Original Bold Gangsta smile
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/03/07 03:01 PM

I don't think its worth the space and weight in a bug-out bag. I try to keep excess alcohol in the house for bugging in, though.

The obvious uses shouldn't be underestimated. There's a strong psychological element to survival. Comfort foods are important; a bit of comfort can make surviving seem more worthwhile. Although if brandy is your comfort food you are maybe in the wrong forum.

I'm dubious about its value as trade goods, unless it is a very long-term thing. As your final comment suggests, it may have value as a "hospitality good" - something to share for free with people you hope to trade or work with.

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/03/07 11:02 PM

Well, hokey dokey. I'll tell the boss you said it was OK...
Posted by: hurley52

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/04/07 03:03 AM

My Grandmother used to smuggle mannhattans around with her in Mrs. Buttersworth bottles, people would just think she had syrup.
Posted by: LED

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/04/07 06:27 AM

Depending on the situation, a fine bottle of scotch (Oban comes to mind) can be worth its weight in gold. Of course its not essential for survival but if things got really rough, at the end of a long day, a glass of the good stuff would sure hit the spot. And don't forget, booze can sometimes make friends faster than words. It could easily get you valuable information, goods, transportation, who knows?
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/04/07 01:51 PM

Brandy, whiskey, tequila, whatever floats your boat, at the end of a grueling day, sometimes it is awfully darned nice to just sit and watch the flames dancing while sipping some remedy. I'm not talking about getting plowed, but just a little something to take the edge off would be nice. I know that when we are skinning logs or hunting elk, when the axes and the chainsaws and the guns are put up for the day and the campfire is making some good btus and whatever chow has been eaten, then a good belt or two of remedy sure and maybe a cigar or a hand rolled cigaretter or a pipe bowl of mellow burley sure does wonders for the soul. You gotta think in the spirit of the old cowpoke or mountain man and how hard life was day to day and each day ended up about like you might find yourself in a survival situation anyways. A little hooch and a little smoke might be the only treat you get. I mean anything that might help take your mind off your troubles a little without serious impairment could be worth packing around. Tobacco and booze were such staples for a long time for folks who didn't have much more with them than what they could pack on a horse or less. Grandad was no alchoholic, but he would take a snort most nights before turning in, just because that was what he always did. I never saw him take more than a shot in any one evening, so I reckon it was more out of habit than of need. He'd sit and roll a few cigarettes for the next morning while smoking one and sipping his drink. That seems reasonable to me.
Posted by: Frank2135

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/04/07 06:43 PM

NightHiker, thinking about your post and remembering all the historical accounts I've read of people over the centuries mixing wine, etc., with water to make it safe to drink, I wondered if that, too, might not excuse...I mean, justify...bringing a couple of ounces of the good stuff along. I think we could consider it a backup water purification system.

My vote, by the way, would be for Jameson's in the flask.
Posted by: KarenRei

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/04/07 07:41 PM

Food-grade ethanol, I hope...
Posted by: DLR

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/06/07 05:45 AM

Ya'll have a great idea. Sounds like something I should do.

However, I do have a concern. In a lot of States, there is an "open bottle" law. In other words, you cannot have an open bottle of alcohol of any sort (beer, wine, spirits) in a vehicle, or, even worse, in public. A flask of any sort would qualify as an "open container", even if it was still filled to the top.

Any thoughts on this?

DLR

P.S.-Benjammin, I like your style. That's the way I roll too.

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/06/07 02:00 PM

My guess would be that it would depend on where that "open container" is located. If it is buried at the bottom of your pack, or in your box of gear in the trunk, who is going to know. If, on the other hand, you are driving down the street with it between your legs, and you get stopped, sign here, press hard, there are four copies...
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/06/07 02:28 PM

Well, you could put an aluminum foil cap over the mouth of the flask and dip the capped end of the flask in wax to seal it. The cop would have a tough time of it saying it was an open container then.
Posted by: Rio

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/06/07 05:01 PM

To my understanding open containers are legal if they are not easily accessible. For example in the trunk, or a locking container like a console or glove box.
Posted by: Grits

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/07/07 01:38 AM

A story told by my father who served in the navy on a tin can.

Not all mouth wash is mouth wash on a ship. To get booze onto the ship some guys would empty out mouthwash bottles and refil with clear spirits and then add green food coloring. Brush your teeth before turning in and down a shot of "mouth wash" and your set for the night.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/07/07 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: LED
Depending on the situation, a fine bottle of scotch (Oban comes to mind) can be worth its weight in gold. Of course its not essential for survival but if things got really rough, at the end of a long day, a glass of the good stuff would sure hit the spot. And don't forget, booze can sometimes make friends faster than words. It could easily get you valuable information, goods, transportation, who knows?

+1 to that. Oban or (even better) Macallan. When it's that smooth, no need to add water. The angels can keep their share.

P.S. Great topic, digimark. Sometimes a wee dram helps people relax, get some perspective, roll with the punches. All very important in difficult circumstances.
Posted by: bat69

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/11/07 09:06 PM

I for one would never discount the valueable psychological affect a bit of grog can offer in a tight spot.

I can tell you that from my own experiences outdoors, a sip or two from a flask at the end of a long day slogging along a trail warms the very soul, and can make dark places a bit merrier for all.

But, as far as it being a multi tasker, I'm not sure.. Granted, any high proof 80+ liquid cold be used in a pinch to clean a wound, or knife etc. But drinking everclear, or pure grain alcohol just isn't too appealing to me. I'm a bourbon man myself..
Posted by: monkey

Re: Brandy in a flask. - 06/19/07 09:02 PM

Never leave home without one of my flasks. Soft side Platypus for outdoor adventure, Leather bound stainless for playing dress up and Pewter with a huge dent from an evening of drunken debauchery with the bottom feeders. I can’t quite recall how the dent got there though.

I wouldn’t ever rely on the common drinking liquids as a wound/instrument sanitizer, but if I had nothing else, I may just give it a go. I’d shed a tear for every drop I had to sacrifice though. That’s one reason I always carry other options. I don’t like crying.

The bartering and meeting people comment is spot on. I’m amazed at what a little booz’ll buy ya. Food, supplies, directions, advice, or just a little friendly conversation. Sometimes you gotta grease the gears to get things rolling.

"Teetotalers lack the sympathy and generosity of men that drink." -W.H. Davies

digimark, don’t let that flask disappear. You will totally regret it. It’s not about what’s in the flask, it’s what the flask stands for.

m