Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions

Posted by: kharrell

Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/22/07 04:51 PM

I am in the process of evaluating my supplies I carry in the woods. I want to be prepared for the 72 hour modern survival scenario.

The knife I currently carry:
http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/218/222

It works great for my typical needs, but what if I need to use it for more than typical hunting activities.

Will it hold up to more demanding tasks?

Posted by: terry13111

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/22/07 05:53 PM

The tang on the Vangaurd goes to the end of the knife, its not exposed, but its there.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/22/07 06:13 PM

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions :The Buck Vangaurd looks quite capable but the 420HC steel spec can be bettered for the same price.
The Swedish and Norwegian Knife manufacturers are generally excellent and good value for money. In general most Scandinavian survival and camping gear is excellent and is generally hard to beat in terms of functionality and quality.

I think that Laminated stainless steel is the way to go.

Fallkniven Mod. F1 Swedish Aircrew Survival Knife

or for a more traditional Scandinavian looking Knife

Helle Odel (This knife is lightweight and the sharpest I have come across)

As for the more demanding tasks, what do you mean? If you want to chop down a tree get a Gransfors Scandinavian Axe. If you wish to cut branches that are 2-3 inches thick from a tree get a Bahco Laplander. If you want a general survival knife which can be used for more robust chopping, splitting kindling etc get a

British Army Survival Knife

Posted by: KenK

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/22/07 07:02 PM

Your Buck Vanguard is just fine as a survival and camp knife.

If you want a nice knew knife anyway, then by all means take a look at Doug Ritter's RSK Mk3 fixed blade (go to ets.org).

Don't worry, there are still plenty of other fun things to spend your money on. Do you have a good mapping GPS? Take a look at the Garmin GPSMAP 60 or 76 series!!
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/22/07 07:08 PM

Looks like a good knife. Especially since you already have it and are used to carrying it. Its similar to Doug's recommendation for a good survival knife. You can look on the main page under "Gear and Equipment". If you feel you need something sturdier for chopping down trees or splitting wood I would recommend just adding a light hatchet to what you carry. It layers your tools, lets you keep the blade of your knife sharp, and gives you a purpose designed chopping and splitting tool.
Posted by: KevinB

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/23/07 03:52 PM

The Vanguard is a very good knife. It's a solid, well-made drop point hunter. Doug Ritter actually recommends it by name on one of his lists. I bought one based on that recommendation, and I've been happy with mine.

If I were you I wouldn't bother replacing it.

Kevin B.

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/23/07 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: KevinB
Doug Ritter actually recommends it by name on one of his lists.
Kevin B.

Great! Thanks. I found it here:
http://www.equipped.org/devices8.htm

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/23/07 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: terry13111
The tang on the Vangaurd goes to the end of the knife, its not exposed, but its there.

During my initial web search, I had a hard time confirming this. How confident are you that the tang goes to the end?

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/23/07 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: kharrell
Originally Posted By: terry13111

During my initial web search, I had a hard time confirming this. How confident are you that the tang goes to the end?

Just found a good reference:
http://www.ebladestore.com/articles/survival-by-knife.shtml
Posted by: terry13111

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/24/07 05:15 PM

I drilled a hole through my handle at the end for a lanyard. There was a good hunk of steel that I had to drill through. I wouldn't recommend doing this though, now I have a space between the steel and wood for water to collect. Whoops.
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/24/07 09:54 PM

I agree with Nighthiker....if you're loyal to Buck look at the Alpha Hunter. Otherwise, your Vanguard is perfectly fine, in my opinion. Literally ANY Buck knife will be as well-made as anything else out there for about the same price. Also, while the 420HC steel is not as "sexy" as the more touted breeds (S30V, D2, 154CM, etc), it's perfectly fine and will do everything you ask of it and anything the other steels will do.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Buck Vangaurd (knife) opinions - 03/25/07 12:09 AM

I thought that Chris and I were the only people left who liked the British Mod 4 knife. Not pretty, not good for cleaning your fingernails, but inexpensive, and tough...